First time visiting San Juan

tobancruiser

Hello,

This will be our first time to visit San Juan- a mother/ daughter cruise in Feb. Our port time is 7- 3 pm. Not sure on excursions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Carnival only has a few excursions offered. We have often used private excursion companies, any recommendations.

Thanks,

Karen

The ship is located in the heart of Old San Juan which is a fantastic, historic and very visitor friendly safe area. Here is a link for phase one of a self guided tour of OSJ.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-walking-tour-1/

You can walk in a few blocks and there are many shoppes or go to one of the two forts (or both). Old San Juan very quickly became one of my favorite places. There are lots of little plaza (parks) that have their own individual personalities very scenic walkways and the blue cobblestone streets. You would need to travel via taxi to any beaches worth seeing, but I would save the beach for another port and stay in OSJ.

We loved Old San Juan. It's a lovely town to just walk around in. There are lots of nice stores and when we were there it seemed like there was music playing everywhere and some farmers markets were open.

Even if you aren't into forts, they aren't that far from the dock and you can walk or take the free tram. The views from San Cristobal and El Morro are gorgeous.

I agree that San Juan is not especially convenient for a beach stop, but is extremely convenient for a historic photogenic city a few steps from the ship. I can't think of an easier place to just get off the ship and the attractions are right at your feet.

If you don't mind a little walking you could spend the whole day in Old San Juan. Be sure to either take water or stop for liquid refreshment, it's hot. You can see the city walls for free without entering either fort, but the forts only cost a few bucks. There are plenty of other historical places in town. You could have lunch either in the city or on the ship.

You could also arrange for a half-day tour to the rainforest or some other place and be back in time for lunch and a little stroll. Don't have any excursion endorsements.

The forts are part of the US National Park system, so if you have (or purchase for $10) a Federal Lifetime Recreation Pass, bring it. The pass will cover admission for up to 4 adults.

If you don't have a lifetime pass 1 fort $3 both $5. I don't know how young your daughter is but el Morrow is also a great place to fly a kite and often you will see many out in the field flying them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the great tips. Sounds like there is a lot to do close to port. My daughter, eventhough she is 20 would love to fly a kite- something we wouldn't be able to do in Feb at home- we usually leave behind some pretty high snowbanks.

Enjoy your weekend,

Karen

We loved Old San Juan. It's a lovely town to just walk around in. There are lots of nice stores and when we were there it seemed like there was music playing everywhere and some farmers markets were open.

Even if you aren't into forts, they aren't that far from the dock and you can walk or take the free tram. The views from San Cristobal and El Morro are gorgeous.

Per above, you really don't need a tour to enjoy Old San Juan on-your-own. :)

LuLu

The forts are part of the US National Park system, so if you have (or purchase for $10) a Federal Lifetime Recreation Pass, bring it. The pass will cover admission for up to 4 adults.

just fyi, the $10 is the senior rate. For others the annual fee is $80. http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

as mefinephotoman mentions above, though, the entrance fee seems quite reasonable.

We have a fairly short stop in December, and I had been a little uncertain how we'd spend out time. It's DH, myself, and the kids 9 and 12. I've given up on SJU being a beach day, and was wondering about trying to do a rainforest tour. But it seems like a walking tour of Old San Juan and the forts might be the best option.

I appreciate all the info here - thanks!

Speaking of kites... where do they sell kites in OSJ?

I have seen them at the CVS drug store across the street from the pier. or if you see them somewhere else on your cruise just get them there... like a walmart or something. Fly them and then make a kids day and give it to them when you are done.

• 1 month later...

Also, if you don't get any kites at CVS there's always a local street vendor just off to the right of the field in front of El Morro. If you stand facing the fort walk to your right on the sidewalk that borders the grounds and you'll run into him.

If you want to feel like a local kid, find the somewhat steep hilly part of the grounds by that sidewalk, lay on the grass and roll down the incline. I tell you, you'll be hard press to find a local kid that has not done it!!

Also, if you don't get any kites at CVS there's always a local street vendor just off to the right of the field in front of El Morro. If you stand facing the fort walk to your right on the sidewalk that borders the grounds and you'll run into him.

If you want to feel like a local kid, find the somewhat steep hilly part of the grounds by that sidewalk, lay on the grass and roll down the incline. I tell you, you'll be hard press to find a local kid that has not done it!!

We are also visiting San Juan on Carnival Cruise, be we are just going to walk around and do some shopping.

The Horse Carriages that are right in the area of the dock near the craft vendors were such a cute treat. Prices range from $40-75 per couple. I just got a ride back to the boat but wish I had done more. They give you an actual tour with historic details it is great to relax and see a little bit of everything or if short on time at least snap quick pics of the old city, if you ask nicely you can drink a piña colada inside. I would recommend with the top down!

I agree that San Juan is not especially convenient for a beach stop, but is extremely convenient for a historic photogenic city a few steps from the ship. I can't think of an easier place to just get off the ship and the attractions are right at your feet.

If you don't mind a little walking you could spend the whole day in Old San Juan. Be sure to either take water or stop for liquid refreshment, it's hot. You can see the city walls for free without entering either fort, but the forts only cost a few bucks. There are plenty of other historical places in town. You could have lunch either in the city or on the ship.

You could also arrange for a half-day tour to the rainforest or some other place and be back in time for lunch and a little stroll. Don't have any excursion endorsements.

how could i arrange for a half day excursion through rain forest?? any tips on that??

• 2 weeks later...