Thanks Fred for listening. New request re Balmoral

Thanks Fred for taking the time for answering my posts and bringing back the British night and answering other peoples posts.

Now my new request is are you ever going to bring Balmoral up north to start cruises out of Newcastle or Liverpool.

It's a long trek for us northerners having to go to all the way down to Southampton every time to experience Balmoral. I expect southerners have the same opinion about coming up here and probably don't come up to sail on Boudicca and Black Watch.

So I am appealing to all you cruise critic members to voice your opinion to this post if you feel the same way and see if we can get Fred to change there schedules at least for one season sometime. Maybe Fred will come on to tell us if they will or why they won't do it.

We like Balmoral because it has a much bigger self service restaurant than Boudicca, so allows variation if you do not want to stick to a firm dining time every night. We have picked up a Balmoral cruise from Dover which is a terrible port to get to, (M25 route for many people), and there were not enough taxis to take the cruise passengers. The taxi from our hotel to the port was most of an hour late and we waited, (standing as no seats), for 45 mins for a taxi back to our hotel parking base. The driver was not even polite when he did eventually turn up. A good suitcase of ours was damaged disembarking that cruise as well and that has never happened to us on any other cruise.

Currently Liverpool Cruise Terminal can only turn around a limited number of passengers, so may not take a ship the size of Balmoral - but changes are planned for next year which should increase capacity, so who knows which ships and cruise companies may sail from there. I have my fingers crossed.

I do not know about the other northern ports, but presumably it depends on how well the cruises are likely to sell, as well as port capacity.

I support the request though.

Southampton is not too bad from Yorkshire, it's all down hill. It's coming back that's the problem...:-)

I like that comment a lot - it is extremely funny.

Must admit though, I think there is some truth in it, as going to a cruise is always more pleasurable than the coming back as there is the cruise to look forward to, rather than the washing and ironing!

Actually going south is not that difficult for us at present as my inlaws live about 20 miles from Southampton docks - getting to the stage that it is best to separate hols and visits to relatives though!

Edited by tring

its the same for my neck of the woods no more cruises from Greenock this year or next year - they have cut back, For the baltics cruise I have to now to to Rosyth - from Greenock it was a 3 min taxi ride

Hi

I am on a cruise from Greenock this year and I thought I read there were some next year as well :confused:

Southampton is not too bad from Yorkshire, it's all down hill. It's coming back that's the problem...:-)

Maybe if you are from South Yorkshire but it would be better for you to go to Liverpool or Newcastle.

The main aim of this thread is to try to get Balmoral to sail out of some northern ports.

We sailed out of Southampton at Christmas, no choice of another Uk port on Boudicca. It is either a 6 hour drive and it was the middle of winter which I didn't fancy or a 5 hour train journey direct, a bit less if we went via London but would then have to get a taxi or tube across the city or a long trip on the bus probably getting up at some unearthly hour to pick up the bus 10 miles out of town. We chose the direct train in the end and just got there before the flooding and winds slowed traffic down.

It is a lot easier for us to go to Newcastle or Liverpool. Does everything have to go out of Southampton. Anyone north of Yorkshire would prefer to sail out of a northern port. Would people down south like it if they had to have a 5,6,7 hour journey if all the sailings were up north?

So let's have your input for or against.

We have 'British Night'on our cruise this month. What does it entail?

Hi Blossom, I see you are defecting ;) I'm sure you will like Fred.

British night is just about dressing in red white and blue, British menu in the dining room and usually the entertainment is something like "Best of British" We had a Beatles tribute from the show team last time. It used to be things like "Land of Hope and Glory" but that seems to have been dropped :(

You don't have to dress up, but quite a few do. I just wore some white cut offs, a red top and blue earrings and necklace. DH wore a white shirt, red tie and navy trousers. They do sell stuff on board too, that is where I got my cut-offs on our 2011 cruise and was surprised they still fitted me this year :p:D

Thanks Linda, I'm sure we can manage that much. Might have to borrow a red top from my sister though, it's not a colour I wear.

It will be interesting to see how another cruise line is we have ony been with Thomson, as you know lol xx

Thanks Linda, I'm sure we can manage that much. Might have to borrow a red top from my sister though, it's not a colour I wear.

It will be interesting to see how another cruise line is we have ony been with Thomson, as you know lol xx

We have only been on Braemar (3 times :)) but loved every one. Jakanne & Topsey had a good weekend on Boudicca last week.

I spent ages looking round the shops for a red top and had just decided to look for a blue one, when I found a red top at the back of the cupboard, that I had forgotten about :o I then saw some cheapie blue ear rings and pendant in Asda - sorted :D

You don't have to wear a red top, any combination would do :D

We have only been on Braemar (3 times :)) but loved every one. Jakanne & Topsey had a good weekend on Boudicca last week.

I spent ages looking round the shops for a red top and had just decided to look for a blue one, when I found a red top at the back of the cupboard, that I had forgotten about :o I then saw some cheapie blue ear rings and pendant in Asda - sorted :D

You don't have to wear a red top, any combination would do :D

It was me that went with Topsey lol, not Jakanne!!! We loved Boudicca & felt that Fred had the edge over Thomson Blossom - more refined ;)

Edited by Julessmiles

It was me that went with Topsey lol, not Jakanne!!! We loved Boudicca & felt that Fred had the edge over Thomson Blossom - more refined ;)

OMG Julie - sorry, I am going senile :o:o

Why do I keep getting you two muddled up? :rolleyes:

But you do both begin with a 'J' :D:D

I like to have a drink of wine in the cabin in the evenings, we took some onto Dream ok but I'm guessing if we put a bottle or 2 in our case it will be taken away, is that correct?

Also never been on a cruise not fly/cruise before so that will be different, Southampton is just up the road from us, about 40 mins.

Packing will be even more difficult if I don't need to stick to a weight limit........

Blossom52 and others.

Would you please respect the theme of this original thread. If you read other threads you will find answers to your questions or start a new thread of your own.

This started out as a thread to try to get Fred Olsen to sail Balmoral out of northern ports and is ending up asking about British nights and if you can take booze on board.

If some of you are upset about this reply then I am sorry but try not to butt in on posts that are nothing to do with what you are asking.

its the same for my neck of the woods no more cruises from Greenock this year or next year - they have cut back, For the baltics cruise I have to now to to Rosyth - from Greenock it was a 3 min taxi ride

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/Views/Search.aspx?searchType=QuickSearch&redirectType=FormSubmit&departurePort=Glasgow+%28Greenock%29%2C+Scotland

This shows that there are cruises this year and next from Greenock. :D

We are very much in favour of Northern departures as we are not really inclined to drive to & from S'oton from up here in the North-East. Driving to the Scottish ports is so much easier than the motorways going South. :(

In the past we have enjoyed being on BALMORAL and would be pleased to have it as an option from up here.

There is nothing wrong at all with BLACK WATCH but a greater choice would be welcome.

Blossom52 and others.

Would you please respect the theme of this original thread. If you read other threads you will find answers to your questions or start a new thread of your own.

This started out as a thread to try to get Fred Olsen to sail Balmoral out of northern ports and is ending up asking about British nights and if you can take booze on board.

If some of you are upset about this reply then I am sorry but try not to butt in on posts that are nothing to do with what you are asking.

I take it you are not a representative of the 'normal' passengers on the Fred Olsen ships as you don't seem very friendly. If you read other cruise boards, often threads digress & people are usually quite happy to help out even when they do digress.

Apologies from me if we interrupted your thread.

Edited by Julessmiles

Yes, I do agree, after my Fred Olsen cruise from Southampton ( in the very south)I will go back to the Thomson board where I clearly belong

Blossom - I met some very nice people on my recent Fred Mini Cruise - there really was a very friendly atmosphere onboard so I am sure you will enjoy your cruise & I look forward to hearing your comments when you return.

I guess we over-stepped the mark & things are run a bit differently on here & we are obviously only allowed to talk about whatever the original thread is about.

:rolleyes::(

I take it you are not a representative of the 'normal' passengers on the Fred Olsen ships as you don't seem very friendly. If you read other cruise boards, often threads digress & people are usually quite happy to help out even when they do digress.

Apologies from me if we interrupted your thread.

Hi all

I am a normal Fred Olsen passenger and I am friendly and am always willing to help anyone.

I know people digress on threads but that is usually after the OP has been answered.

This thread has got to page 2 and has only had one reply to the OP.

I wish to apologize to everybody especially Blossom52 and would say to her did I not reply to your thread about the Flam railway? I also wonder what made to put your original question on this thread.

I was trying not to get the thread bogged down in pages of comments of things that were not related to the theme of the OP. I was hoping to get Fred Olsen to reply to the thread with an answer and if it was full of other unrelated posts he won't bother reading them all.

As I have only have one reply and none of you have given an response to my OP I am closing this thread. I will not be replying to anymore posts on this thread in case it gets into a mud slinging match and in any case I am going on my Fred cruise this Sunday.

I expect there will be a few more comments after this so feel free to take about anything you like.

Once again apologizes to everyone and happy cruising, especially on Fred cruises.