Life Along the Amazon River: Parintins, Brazil

Cruzer Two

Life Along the Amazon River

Parintins: Boi Bamba Festival

Located on the Tupinnambarana Island, the 200 year old village of Parintins, is rich in Indian culture. It is home to the Boi Bumba forklore festival that is held in June each year in the Bumbodromo - a stadium that was built for this purpose.

The festival presents myths, tales, and legends to an audience of 35,000 in the Bumbodromo. The Portuguese "Boi Bumba" tale is told through the music, costumes and a bull, which dies and is brought back to life.

The pictures for this video were taken at a special Boi Bamba presentation arranged by Holland America at the Parintins Civic Center.

Click on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45102282&postcount=338 for more information on viewing this video.

If you enjoyed that little presentation of Boi Bumba, you should arrange to come back for the real thing! Quite a bit more of a spectacle. Here's one video:

There is also the spectacular Bumba Meu Boi in charming São Luis, Maranhao at the same season, which also happens to be perfect for a visit to the seasonally rain-filled lakes in the dunes of the nearby Parque Lencois.

Parque Lencois:

They are both part of the season of traditional Festas Juninhas, culminating in the festival of São Joao, celebrated particularly in the northeast of Brazil.

Hope to see you back in Brazil sometime.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Life Along the Amazon River[/size]

Parintins: Boi Bamba Festival

Appreciate, Ron, this video and details on the festival/program. Costumes do look very colorful and interesting. How much did HAL charge you for this program? About how long did the program run in time?

From your visuals, I was not sure how big of a hall or room in which this is staged? Any rough guesses for how many attended this program? Is all of the seating on a flat floor or stacking up with bleacher-style? Any other good things to do, see and/or experience at this port stop?

Keep up the wonderful postings!! Following along with interest.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 90,602 views for this posting.

Appreciate, Ron, this video and details on the festival/program. Costumes do look very colorful and interesting. How much did HAL charge you for this program? About how long did the program run in time?

It was pretty pricey at $99 per person - like most ship sponsored excursions. However, I'm glad we went to see something that is really part of the Brazillian culture and not some folklore show designed strickly for cruise passengers. It really was interesting. The show lasted for about an hour. The costumes and floats were amazing. Of course, the larger floats used in the show at the statidum could not fit inside the civic center, but the ones used in the show were very nice.

From your visuals, I was not sure how big of a hall or room in which this is staged? Any rough guesses for how many attended this program? Is all of the seating on a flat floor or stacking up with bleacher-style? Any other good things to do, see and/or experience at this port stop?

I'm guessing the hall will accomadate several hundred people and it was "sold out". The floor is flat, so getting there early to get near the front is a must. HAL only offered one other excursion. It was a city highlights tour for $74pp that included an inside visit of Bumbodromo (stadium) to see some of the floats used during the actual Boi Bamba.. Prior to the show we took a pedi-taxi ride around the city that carried us by the stadium, but we didn't go inside. This was fairly inexpensive, but I don't remember exactly what we paid. I seem to remember it being $20 for two people and it last for about 45 minutes.

Keep up the wonderful postings!! Following along with interest.

This was the last video in the "Life Along the Amazon River" series, but I'll be doing a video of Bonaire and Terre-de-Haut, Iles des Saintes. This tiny French island is off the beaten part, but it was really unique. We had a great time exploring it by foot!

Thank you Ron for those wonderful video's of life along the Amazon. Really enjoyed them gives us an idea on what to look forward to on our visit next year.

Allan & Marlane

Thank you Ron for those wonderful video's of life along the Amazon. Really enjoyed them gives us an idea on what to look forward to on our visit next year.

Allan & Marlane

Allan & Marlane,

You're welcome! I know you will enjoy this very unique experience. Hopefully, you will have equally good weather as we did on our cruise. The weather was perfect the entire cruise. If I can answer any questions about this adventure please don't hesitate to ask.

All the best,

Ron

This was the last video in the "Life Along the Amazon River" series, but I'll be doing a video of Bonaire and Terre-de-Haut, Iles des Saintes. This tiny French island is off the beaten part, but it was really unique. We had a great time exploring it by foot!

Appreciate, Ron, this added info and your specifics to my many questions. Very helpful and considerate by you!!

YES, looking forward to seeing your Bonaire video. We will stop in Roseau/Dominica as we are sailing north to St. Barts and San Juan from the ABC Dutch islands on our second-phase cruise after the Amazon River sailing. That Dominica location is nearby to your mentioned Terre-de-Haut, Iles des Saintes. These less-visited Caribbean islands seem wonderful. Look forward to getting more excited by seeing your added video samplers.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 191,276 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Appreciate, Ron, this added info and your specifics to my many questions. Very helpful and considerate by you!!

YES, looking forward to seeing your Bonaire video. We will stop in Roseau/Dominica as we are sailing north to St. Barts and San Juan from the ABC Dutch islands on our second-phase cruise after the Amazon River sailing. That Dominica location is nearby to your mentioned Terre-de-Haut, Iles des Saintes. These less-visited Caribbean islands seem wonderful. Look forward to getting more excited by seeing your added video samplers.

Terry,

Again, you're welcome!

Sometime this weekend I hope to put the finishing touches on my videos for Bonaire and Terre-De-Haut. When finished, I'll post the information on my thread of the "Cruise Videos" section of Cruise Critic and on the Caribbean travel secion under Bonaire. I have never been to Dominica or St. Barts, so I can't offer any help for these islands.

I hope you enjoy your adventure on the Amazon. Keep me posted!

All the best in 2015!

Ron