Taking a train from France to Geneva ??

It won't be easy as luggage room is fairly limited. Some trains just have not much room for luggage, unless you can lift it up on the overhead rack (I had to do this once 2 years ago going to a cruise eventually so it was a good thing I was strong at 50).

As for class of service, it all depends on trains. If the train is compartmentalised, there is little extra room. Some trains do have a luggage rack at the ends, or sometimes in the middle.

If you can plan and buy tickets in advance (around 90 days before travel), you can often buy FC cheaper and it may well be worth it.

I'd pack lighter. 2 large cases or 4 medium ones. Too much baggage is a PITA.

With that much luggage you will have your hands full because it is unlikely you will have any help. Larger luggage will not fit on the overhead racks so most folks leave it at the end of the car (most cars have some luggage space). We actually take a small retractable steel cable lock (combination lock) which we use to connect all our luggage and hopefully also secure it around something on the train. It is just a little security thing I do which gives me peace of mind that somebody won't snatch our luggage just as the train gets into a station.

Hank

With that much luggage you will have your hands full because it is unlikely you will have any help. Larger luggage will not fit on the overhead racks so most folks leave it at the end of the car (most cars have some luggage space). We actually take a small retractable steel cable lock (combination lock) which we use to connect all our luggage and hopefully also secure it around something on the train. It is just a little security thing I do which gives me peace of mind that somebody won't snatch our luggage just as the train gets into a station.

Hank

small retractable steel cable lock that is a good idea. thanks

small retractable steel cable lock that is a good idea. thanks

Ours was originally sold by American Tourister but is not longer! But they same thing is sold under a different name and here is a link to show you about what we speak:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1360025/Pacsafe-TSA-Approved-4-Dial-Retractable-Cable-Lock.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=33-334757753-2&CID=shopping15

Hank

Best way to go from Paris (if that is where you are coming from) to Switzerland is on the TGV. http://www.tgv-lyria.com They run from Paris Gare de Lyon to Geneva, Lausanne and basel SBB stations. Time taken is 3 hours Paris to Geneva OR BaselSBB and 4 hours to Lausanne.

If you are headed for Luzern then go to BaselSBB and not Geneva. Basel SBB to Luzern is just over an hour and there are frequent trains. See http://www.sbb.ch/en for timetables and fares.

Luggage - there are several luggage racks at each end of the TGV cars. I wouldn't bother much about locking my suitcases on the TGV (I would - and do - on Italian trains). However once you are on the Swiss trains it is a good idea to keep the bags within your sight. Use the overhead racks OR put them between the seats. In the double decker trains there are a few racks here and there along the car as well. Big one by the stairs.

IMO First class is definately worth it. More spacious, quieter (usually) and generally nicer. However on the TGV you have reserved seats anyway - First or Second - so you do not need to worry about not finding one. Here in Switzerland we don't reserve seats but generally there is no problem except in rush hour at which time it is easier to get seats in First than Second.

Finally - if you don't want to deal with your luggage you can ship it once you get to Switzerland. The SBB has a Fast Baggage service - if you take your bags to the Baggage Office at the Geneva or Basel stations and ship it to Luzern it will get there the same day if you drop it with them before 0900 or the following morning if after 0900. Again info on this is on the SBB site. Cost is 22frs/bag.

Edited by Hambagahle

• 3 weeks later...

Take the TGV. As you board there are luggage racks just inside the entry, but lifting up heavy bags from the platform is difficult.

When on the train, every stop, which isn't often, I get up and saunter to where my bag is and keep an eye out...but generally your bags will be okay.

Naturally a car is simpler and there is no surcharge if you return to the FRENCH SIDE OF GENEVA AIRPORT. Auto Europe is very knowledgeable about these details.