Credit Cards vs. Cash

timolin

Do all Hotels, Restaurants, taxis and shops accept Visa or Master Card credit cards with the chip?

I'd like to minimize the cash I carry whenever possible.:)

Thank you in advance for your help.

timolin (Tim and Linda)

I cannot vouch for every single hotel, restaurant, taxi, and shop, but in our experience the overwhelming majority do. With regard to taxis, I would ask if their credit card machine is working before you get in the taxi.

Credit card use varies around Europe but in Barcelona...both Visa and MC are widely accepted. We generally find that Italy tends to favor cash over plastic while some other countries such as Sweden prefer credit cards over cash. In fact, there are places in Sweden that will ask if you have a credit card...when you try to use cash (it is rare...but does happen).

Hank

Credit card use varies around Europe but in Barcelona...both Visa and MC are widely accepted. We generally find that Italy tends to favor cash over plastic while some other countries such as Sweden prefer credit cards over cash. In fact, there are places in Sweden that will ask if you have a credit card...when you try to use cash (it is rare...but does happen).

Hank

I am going to the med in October. To Spain,France and Italy. I know we will be eating lunch in port. I prefer credit and usually don't carry cash. You stated that Italy prefers cash. How difficult to use credit in Italy and France.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am going to the med in October. To Spain,France and Italy. I know we will be eating lunch in port. I prefer credit and usually don't carry cash. You stated that Italy prefers cash. How difficult to use credit in Italy and France.

Good question and the answer is quite simple. It is possible to survive (quite well) in Europe without cash. But when you limit yourself to only using plastic, you are limiting your options. A majority of Italian restaurants and eating venues do accept plastic, but consider the following scenario. You are walking down the street in wonderful Florence (yes, it is a wonderful city) and pass a small Gelato shop that just looks yummy! Perhaps you want a cone or dish (trust me that good gelato is heaven) which might cost 4€. This kind of place will likely not take plastic for such a small purchase....so you just keep walking and wonder, "I wonder if that gelato tastes as good as it looks?" And a few blocks away you might walk through the terrific outdoor market and spot some items you want to purchase. The vendor may not take plastic....or if they do they might offer 5% off if you pay in cash.

You are going to be in multiple countries that use the Euro (beats the ole days when every country had their own currency). Do yourself a favor and get some Euros at the first port (we prefer using ATMs) or buy a small amount (no more than $100 worth) on your ship (the lousy exchange rate means little with such small amounts). Speaking of Euros, the exchange rate is now a terrific deal. The Euro that would have cost $1.45 less then 2 years ago,.is now on sale for about $1.13! We have not seen favorable rates like this for years. In fact, when in Europe last week I grabbed a few hundred extra Euros (out of an ATM) to have for our next trip :).

Hank

Good question and the answer is quite simple. It is possible to survive (quite well) in Europe without cash. But when you limit yourself to only using plastic, you are limiting your options. A majority of Italian restaurants and eating venues do accept plastic, but consider the following scenario. You are walking down the street in wonderful Florence (yes, it is a wonderful city) and pass a small Gelato shop that just looks yummy! Perhaps you want a cone or dish (trust me that good gelato is heaven) which might cost 4€. This kind of place will likely not take plastic for such a small purchase....so you just keep walking and wonder, "I wonder if that gelato tastes as good as it looks?" And a few blocks away you might walk through the terrific outdoor market and spot some items you want to purchase. The vendor may not take plastic....or if they do they might offer 5% off if you pay in cash.

You are going to be in multiple countries that use the Euro (beats the ole days when every country had their own currency). Do yourself a favor and get some Euros at the first port (we prefer using ATMs) or buy a small amount (no more than $100 worth) on your ship (the lousy exchange rate means little with such small amounts). Speaking of Euros, the exchange rate is now a terrific deal. The Euro that would have cost $1.45 less then 2 years ago,.is now on sale for about $1.13! We have not seen favorable rates like this for years. In fact, when in Europe last week I grabbed a few hundred extra Euros (out of an ATM) to have for our next trip :).

Hank

Thank you for the detailed scenarios. You make valid points for getting cash. You had me at gelato. That and pizza and pasta are absolute must to do when in Italy. Thanks for the low exchange rates. I will get some this week.

Hank

I like to stay in small 3-4 star hotels in Europe. All take credit cards but when

I check-in I will offer to pay in cash when I checkout for a 10% discount. I am

almost successful 90% of the time. They do like cash!

I like to stay in small 3-4 star hotels in Europe. All take credit cards but when

I check-in I will offer to pay in cash when I checkout for a 10% discount. I am

almost successful 90% of the time. They do like cash!

Agree! We also ask the same question (even if we are simply shopping and spending some major dollars). On more then one occasion we have actually walked out of a B&B or a store to find the nearest ATM (to get cash to pay for our purchases).

Hank