Are balconies covered & where do you feel vibrations on Island Princess mini-suites?

golfergirl29

My husband is taking his first cruise with me on the Island Princess to see the glaciers on the Northbound glacier cruise, and I want him to have a good experience. We are going to splurge with a mini-suite so we get the larger bathroom. I've read that several people have felt vibration in the aft of the ship, from at least D715 back. (We're thinking deck 9 or 10). Does anyone have info on this? Also, are the balconies covered or partially covered? I've seen some pictures that look like the balconies above on decks 10 or 11 (Caribe or Baja) can look down onto your balcony. Or, since it's colder there, is having an uncovered balcony a smarter option for viewing the glaciers?

My husband is taking his first cruise with me on the Island Princess to see the glaciers on the Northbound glacier cruise, and I want him to have a good experience. We are going to splurge with a mini-suite so we get the larger bathroom. I've read that several people have felt vibration in the aft of the ship, from at least D715 back. (We're thinking deck 9 or 10). Does anyone have info on this? Also, are the balconies covered or partially covered? I've seen some pictures that look like the balconies above on decks 10 or 11 (Caribe or Baja) can look down onto your balcony. Or, since it's colder there, is having an uncovered balcony a smarter option for viewing the glaciers?

We have sailed the Island Princess many times both before and after the major dry dock changes.

To get away from any possible vibration issues aft IMO I would go with a mini forward on Caribe in the 200's. They are covered. They are also close to the forward facing viewing deck.

Don't pick one of the first 2 forward mini's on either side of the ship on Caribe as they are mini's without a balcony.

Also straight up to the HC buffet.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Edited by Colo Cruiser

You can feel vibration forward, midship and aft on most ships. Most of the vibration is due to the thrusters as the ship arrives in port and docks, and then leaves the port. Thrusters are located both forward and aft. Mid-ship vibration is due to the stabilizers which are deployed in mid- to heavy seas.

Far forward, you'll feel vibration as the bow of the ship goes up and down, meeting the seas.

The bottom line is that it's really hard to avoid all vibration. A ship is a mechanical entity with moving parts.

Think the OP is referring to aft vibration due to dry dock changes when the ship is underway not using thrusters or docking.

Which is what we have experienced.

We have stayed forward on Caribe a few times and other than maneuvering when docking we did not experience any vibration.

Actually, I had read that there was rattling of the door and light fixtures. I apologize if I wasn't clear. I expect vibrations; but some had reported that the rattling/noise at the aft was severe enough to have a room change. That's why I was asking. My brother is going to be in a cabin near the very aft. I wanted to be near him, but not if the noise would be too disruptive during most of the cruise.

Actually, I had read that there was rattling of the door and light fixtures. I apologize if I wasn't clear. I expect vibrations; but some had reported that the rattling/noise at the aft was severe enough to have a room change. That's why I was asking. My brother is going to be in a cabin near the very aft. I wanted to be near him, but not if the noise would be too disruptive during most of the cruise.

That was me. Read my cabin review of Caribe 731 and my ship review of our Panama Canal cruise April 2017.

Same thing I was referring to.

IMO you would be better off forward.

Stupid and poorly implemented hack job on Island Princess. Too many people reported vibrations and rattling in the new aft cabins. Whoever came up with the whole concept should have been fired. I've never had one of those cabins but hated what was done when I sailed on the ship.