Good water proof / resistant camera

I originally posted this in the Royal Caribbean forum, but it was suggested to post here, so here it is;

My wife has a pretty good Nikon DSLR camera that is not water proof. We were looking for a water proof or water resistant camera that we can take with us on our "wet" excursions (like to the baths in Tortola". Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Just look for threads with "waterproof camera" in the title. It's a subject that has been discussed repeatedly, very regularly for years.

Since you didn't say anything about what you want I'd suggest an Olympus TG-3 or TG-2 on the used market. It's got a fast lens and is relatively small. It's very tough and rugged and can handle greater depths if you are a better diver than the average floater. If you just want a beach camera or do surface snorkeling almost any waterproof "resistant" camera will work.

I looked at the subject of this thread and I thought, wow, there is another of the same subject; was the other thread wiped out? Nope, it is about 6 below this one.

And agree with Dane, lots of thoughts on U/W cameras in this category. I've been watching for 6 months now.

Mitsu, not looking for an out-of-water camera but it doesn't hurt to have that capability. Which models do you have for Olympus?

Steve

Well I would say a point and shoot that is water proof is going to have the capability to do more than just underwater no matter what you get. ;)

I have the Tough 630 and the Tough 820 and love them both. They have a lot of very useful settings on them and take some amazing pictures IMO. I don't go anywhere without them. (Actually, I haven't even been taking my DSLR with me of vacation for the last 2 years or so because I am extremely happy with my results from the Olympus and it's a whole lot easier to just carry it along instead of hauling around all my equipment and not enjoying myself. But that's just me). :)

• 2 months later...