Which Beach offers shade?

obsessionr

We will be in Roatan in September and are considering Half Moon Bay and West Bay. Does anyone know if either offer chairs & umbrellas, and if they do is there a charge? Would like to snorkle, but like do not like to bake in the sun.

Here is some info on Mayan Princess from another thread - I believe they have chairs/palapas and shade!

I was in Roatan last week on the Norwegian Sun cruise. I had emailed the Mayan Princess earlier to get reservations and to confirm their $10 per person charge ( Google them for the website). Their front office replied that the charge was correct and that reservations were not required but that they would " put aside two for us".

We took a cab from the pier for $10 per person RT ( the driver will return for you when at a time you choose). Unfortunately, we were stopped at the gate by an armed security guard who refused to let us in. After he checked a few times by phone, he finally agreed to let me walk into the hotel to speak to the front desk people. They confirmed that we would not be admitted because they had a large group in that day and they decided NOT to allow any cruise people in! I showed them my " reservation" and they were very unimpressed. I said they could not run a successful resort business that way and that their reputation would be hurt in the US if word got out in CC!! ( a strong weapon!). They didn't budge- finally I asked to see the manager who immediately said he would honor their commitment and we then entered.

After calming down, we concluded that the facilities are very beautiful- the pool is great , the beach very clean, and the water is probably unlike anything you've seen. They had a very nice looking restaurant, although we didn't eat there. I would go back in a flash if only for the water. I was a very relaxing day, Walking up and down West End Beach, I saw other places that were more crowded, noisy and not nearly as well-maintained as the Mayan Princess.

I strongly recommend the place-- but make sure you get some kind of committment that you'll be allowed to enter!

• 3 weeks later...

There are a lot of shade trees at Fins & Flippers (island resort). We never got hot there. It is $20 per person if booked online. Short walk from pier to free water taxi. Taxi ride is 5 min. She my pictures on the Fins&Flippers thread.

Since I live here, I can tell you that West Bay is the best beach on the island, and one of the best beaches in the Caribbean. Half Moon Bay is located in West End, about 15 minutes from West Bay. West End is known for it's shops and, restaurants and dive shops...but there is some beach there.

There are no public facilities at either beach. All restroom facilties, including lounge chairs, and even shade, is the property of the resorts or the restaurants, and the better ones charge for it. Some resorts are turning back people if their overnight or weekly resort guests complain about the amount of cruiseship guests using the resort. Make sure deal with a reputable company.

Access to the beach is free for all.

Enjoy.

We will be in Roatan in September and are considering Half Moon Bay and West Bay. Does anyone know if either offer chairs & umbrellas, and if they do is there a charge? Would like to snorkle, but like do not like to bake in the sun.

Since I live here' date=' I can tell you that West Bay is the best beach on the island, and one of the best beaches in the Caribbean. Half Moon Bay is located in West End, about 15 minutes from West Bay. West End is known for it's shops and, restaurants and dive shops...but there is some beach there.

There are no public facilities at either beach. All restroom facilties, including lounge chairs, and even shade, is the property of the resorts or the restaurants, and the better ones charge for it. Some resorts are turning back people if their overnight or weekly resort guests complain about the amount of cruiseship guests using the resort. Make sure deal with a reputable company.

Access to the beach is free for all.

Enjoy.[/quote']

Thanks for the great info Van! We are hoping to end up at the mayan princess resort after our tour of Roatan but have heard (as you mentioned) that sometimes access is denied! Can you advise of another similar resort or beach in the West Bay area? Looking for chairs, shade and some off shore snorkelling! (and refreshments too of course!:D )

Thanks!

Thanks for the great info Van! We are hoping to end up at the mayan princess resort after our tour of Roatan but have heard (as you mentioned) that sometimes access is denied! Can you advise of another similar resort or beach in the West Bay area? Looking for chairs, shade and some off shore snorkelling! (and refreshments too of course!:D )

Thanks!

If you have an ISLAND TOUR already booked and the driver is supposed to bring you to West Bay, please contact that tour company to discuss your concerns..

I am not permitted to discuss services that may be related to what I do.

If you have an ISLAND TOUR already booked and the driver is supposed to bring you to West Bay' date=' please contact that tour company to discuss your concerns..

I am not permitted to discuss services that may be related to what I do.[/quote']

Sorry I am not really aware of 'what you do' so did not foresee any conflict of interest? Thought you were just a Roatan citizen providing info on the boards!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived