so confused about getting around Bermuda

glm7777

I'm normally not a stupid person - I am an RN with a Bachelor's degree and graduated 54th out of 800 in my graduating class but for some reason I cannot seem to wrap my head around how to get around in Bermuda! I just looked at the bus schedule that was posted earlier and it looks like Greek to me! I'm getting so agravated with myself for not being able to understand this. I know it's not a hard thing but I can't seem to GET it!!:eek:

I will be in Bermuda via NCL May 25 (arriving 8AM), 26, 27 (departing at 5pm).

We have an excursion booked for 5/25 at 8PM (from the ship so I'm not too worried about that one) but please help me figure out how to get to the following places - I don't care what order we go in. We are getting the 3 day bus and ferry pass.I also have a bad knee so the less walking the better.

We would like to see:

- The Caves

- The pink sand (I know the water may not be good for swimming but that's ok) - we realy just want to see the sand. We don't really even care about lying out in the sun - we can do that on the ship

- The beach with the sea glass

- The perfumery

- the glassworks factory and rum cake factory

- The zoo if we have time.

- Wouldn't mind going past some of the beautiful homes on the way to one of these places.

We are not history buffs AT ALL so have no interest in the forts or other historically relevent things.

We plan to eat on the ship but might be willing to try a rum swizzle if there is a place nearby one of our destinations. Do not want to make a special tirp - it's all I can do to get to the regualr tourist places!

Can someone please help?

I've only ever gone on vacation to WDW and know that place like the back of my hand - I'd be glad to return the favor if you need someone to help you plan a WDW trip :)

Thank you!

Edited by glm7777

So you are arriving on the Dawn on Sunday 5/25 at 11AM, and Monday 5/26 is a public holiday, Bermuda Day. So on Sunday and Monday, buses and ferries will be on reduced schedules. Fewer buses running and no ferry service to St George.

- The pink sand (I know the water may not be good for swimming but that's ok) - we realy just want to see the sand. We don't really even care about lying out in the sun - we can do that on the ship

On Sunday, take a route #7 bus (or taxi) to Horseshoe Bay and get some pink sand between your toes. There is a steep hill, down, to get to the beach, and, up, to return to the bus route. There is a shuttle that runs up and down the hill, cost $2.00, well worth it, IMHO.

Take an outbound route #7 bus towards the Dockyard, but tell the driver you want to be dropped at Black Bay Beach. The sea glass beach is to the right as you face the ocean, and just a short walk from BBB. The sea glass beach is under new ownership and the owners do not want tourists removing the sea glass.

Walk back to the bus stop you were just dropped at, and take any outbound bus to the Dockyard, and tell the driver you want to be dropped at the GlassWorks. Your cruise ship is about a 5-7 minute walk from GW.

- The perfumery
is located in St George, and with Tuesday being the only day of your stay with the ferry running, I would suggest you visit the perfumery on your next visit.

- The Caves

on Tuesday, take an early ferry to Hamilton, and take a route #10 or #11 bus to the zoo (BAMZ). If there is time, take a route #10 or #11 bus to the caves. Retrace your steps to return to your cruise ship.

Since Monday is the holiday, Bermuda Day, it might be best to be a spectator to some of the events.

There is a printable Bermuda map here that has bus and ferry routes, and the locations of many of the attractions identified which you may find helpful.

SBtS

How does one get from St. George to Hamilton?? Bus or Ferry?? Is there a Ferry from Hamilton back to Dockyard or do you have to take the long bus ride back??

Thanks in advance-first trip to Bermuda and super excited-sad we are only there for a day and a half:D

How does one get from St. George to Hamilton?? Bus or Ferry?? Is there a Ferry from Hamilton back to Dockyard or do you have to take the long bus ride back??

Thanks in advance-first trip to Bermuda and super excited-sad we are only there for a day and a half:D

You get from St. George to Hamilton via a #1,3,10 or 11 bus. There is no direct ferry service between the two. About a 50 minute to one hour ride depending on bus route and traffic.

Take the Blue Route ferry from Hamilton to Dockyard. A 20 minute ride.

Here's the bus schedule:

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_18606_252_993_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/public_transportation_board/bus_schedules/bus_schedule11.pdf

Here's the summer ferry schedule that starts on April 28:

http://seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202014.pdf

Edited by njhorseman

All the info is very helpful!! How would we get from where the ferry drops us off to Horseshoe Bay?? Is it within walking distance or should we take a bus? I know about the water situation so we probably won't be swimming but would like to see the pink sand. I also know it is suggested to pay the $2 a person to take us up and down the steep hill to get to the beach.

Thanks again for all the great info!!

All the info is very helpful!! How would we get from where the ferry drops us off to Horseshoe Bay?? Is it within walking distance or should we take a bus? I know about the water situation so we probably won't be swimming but would like to see the pink sand. I also know it is suggested to pay the $2 a person to take us up and down the steep hill to get to the beach.

Thanks again for all the great info!!

What ferry drop off are you referring to?

If you are referring to the Dockyard, the instructions (below) from my first post are still good:

Take a route #7 bus (or taxi) from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay and get some pink sand between your toes. There is a steep hill, down, to get to the beach, and, up, to return to the bus route. There is a shuttle that runs up and down the hill, cost $2.00, well worth it, IMHO.

to return to the Dockyard, take an outbound route #7 bus there. Tell the driver your destination is the Dockyard....

If you are referring to the ferry drop off in Hamilton, I have to say - you don't go to Horseshoe Bay by first taking the ferry to Hamilton. If you are in Hamilton for any other reason, then you would go to the bus terminal on Church Street and board any route #7 bus and tell the driver your destination is HSB.

To return to the Dockyard, read the instructions above that start with - Take an outbound route #7 bus towards the Dockyard

There is a link to a map of Bermuda in my first post, I suggest you print it out.

I'm including a map of the Dockyard so you can see where the ferry wharf is, and where the bus stops are in relation to where the cruise ship ties up:

Dockyard-v2.jpg

SBtS

I'm normally not a stupid person - I am an RN with a Bachelor's degree and graduated 54th out of 800 in my graduating class but for some reason I cannot seem to wrap my head around how to get around in Bermuda! I just looked at the bus schedule that was posted earlier and it looks like Greek to me! I'm getting so agravated with myself for not being able to understand this. I know it's not a hard thing but I can't seem to GET it!!:eek:

I will be in Bermuda via NCL May 25 (arriving 8AM), 26, 27 (departing at 5pm).

We have an excursion booked for 5/25 at 8PM (from the ship so I'm not too worried about that one) but please help me figure out how to get to the following places - I don't care what order we go in. We are getting the 3 day bus and ferry pass.I also have a bad knee so the less walking the better.

We would like to see:

- The Caves

- The perfumery

- Wouldn't mind going past some of the beautiful homes on the way to one of these places.

We are not history buffs AT ALL so have no interest in the forts or other historically relevent things.

We plan to eat on the ship but might be willing to try a rum swizzle if there is a place nearby one of our destinations. Do not want to make a special tirp - it's all I can do to get to the regualr tourist places!

Can someone please help?

I've only ever gone on vacation to WDW and know that place like the back of my hand - I'd be glad to return the favor if you need someone to help you plan a WDW trip :)

Thank you!

We are on the same cruise and never been to Bermuda either...thanks for asking the questions ...I got a lot of useful information. But I will add as an experienced cruiser....nothing can go "wrong" on a cruise !! I'm fully prepared to get lost, not see what I planned, see what I don't expect, meet many good people, (I ignore the rest) and enjoy the moments.

What ferry drop off are you referring to?

If you are referring to the Dockyard, the instructions (below) from my first post are still good:

Take a route #7 bus (or taxi) from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay and get some pink sand between your toes. There is a steep hill, down, to get to the beach, and, up, to return to the bus route. There is a shuttle that runs up and down the hill, cost $2.00, well worth it, IMHO.

to return to the Dockyard, take an outbound route #7 bus there. Tell the driver your destination is the Dockyard....

If you are referring to the ferry drop off in Hamilton, I have to say - you don't go to Horseshoe Bay by first taking the ferry to Hamilton. If you are in Hamilton for any other reason, then you would go to the bus terminal on Church Street and board any route #7 bus and tell the driver your destination is HSB.

To return to the Dockyard, read the instructions above that start with - Take an outbound route #7 bus towards the Dockyard

There is a link to a map of Bermuda in my first post, I suggest you print it out.

I'm including a map of the Dockyard so you can see where the ferry wharf is, and where the bus stops are in relation to where the cruise ship ties up:

Dockyard-v2.jpg

SBtS

You get from St. George to Hamilton via a #1,3,10 or 11 bus. There is no direct ferry service between the two. About a 50 minute to one hour ride depending on bus route and traffic.

Take the Blue Route ferry from Hamilton to Dockyard. A 20 minute ride.

Here's the bus schedule:

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_18606_252_993_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/public_transportation_board/bus_schedules/bus_schedule11.pdf

Here's the summer ferry schedule that starts on April 28:

http://seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202014.pdf

thanks I thought Horseshoe Bay was near St. George-is there a beach within walking distance of the ferry drop off in st. George??

thanks I thought Horseshoe Bay was near St. George-is there a beach within walking distance of the ferry drop off in st. George??

The beach closest to St George is Tobacco Bay. It is about a 15 minute walk or a quick taxi ride from the ferry dock. It is popular with the those that snorkel because it is shallow and well protected; the beach itself is small and gets quickly crowded. There is a concession stand, toilets, and rentals. No pink sand there.

There is another beach just a little further, but offers no facilities. The beach is St Catherine Beach.

IMHO, if you are going to TB to snorkel, it is a very good beach, but if you are going to TB because it is a beach, there are much better beaches along the South Shore which include Warwick Long Bay and Horseshoe Bay, just to name 2.

SBtS