Question for snorkelers and divers

photogineer

I was recently on the CCL Dream, and one of the excursions (in Roatan) we did was beginner scuba diving that didn't require a certification. We were accompanied by an instructor and walked through an easy 40ft dive, it was some of the most fun I've ever had. When we returned to the boat we had a bunch of people on ask about it, and tell us they went snorkeling instead and it made me curious.

If my understanding is correct, snorkeling involves a snorkel (obviously) and a dive mask of some kind, and taking a deep breath to swim down to see a reef or whatever your target is before eventually returning to the surface to breath. Is this correct?

Assuming it is, what's the point of the snorkel? Is it really that much convenient to be able to clear the snorkel on surfacing and breath through it instead of having to completely surface? I don't know want to seem rude, since I clearly don't understand it, but it seems like snorkeling and swimming underwater with your breath held are really pretty similar.

So my question, can anyone explain the differences between snorkeling, and just swimming down while holding your breath?

Matt

Matt,

The snorkel is like the mouth piece breathing appreatis you use in diving. It allows you to breath wile keeping your face in the the water. Yes if you dive down you have to hold your breath and let out when you come back up. But if you just keep your face and head partly under the water and breath you can see what is going on for a long period of time and not miss something that swims by you when you raise up to take a breath. Some people and kids I know do snorkel without using the sonrkel itself because they just could not et use to using it. But it makes it nice to be able to continually look around the water and reef.

The Ump

John

Matt,

You could simply swim down, holding your breath. The snorkel gives you the advantage f being able to look down while you're swimming along on the surface, and that way, if you spot something you want to dive down to and take a closer look, you can keep it in sight while taking the preparatory breath.

The advantage would become clear pretty quickly if you were to try both methods, since even with a mask, the breaths you would need to take without a snorkel require turning your head. Snorkeling lets you enjoy a "steadier" view.

Alas, an awful lot of people that snorkel lack your basic understanding of the sport, and never dive down from the surface. instead they swim along like it's a glass bottom boat tour.

Harris

Denver, CO