New Year's Single Cruise for a First Time Cruiser

TigerLilly813

I really want to go somewhere for the holidays that is affordable. I live in Toronto, ON Canada. Initially I was going to go Boston with a friend but now that he's bailed I was looking at other things as I'll be traveling by myself.

I came across Singles Cruises for New Year's and am considering that. From there I found this forum and am hoping you all can help me :) I female, 29 and have NEVER been on a cruise before. I thought this might be a good option because but as people tend to go on cruises families, a significant other or friend so going on a cruise where everyone is single would be great.

I've narrowed it down to 2 cruise options: http://www.singlescruise.com/cruisedetails.php?new-years-singles-cruise and http://singlesatsea.com/singlescruise.cfm?ID=23

I've also correlated them with Priceline so the prices are a bit cheaper and more affordable for me. Which of these look better?

My main questions are:

1) What happens on singles cruises? From what I've heard it seems like a lot of people are there just to hook up. I'm not necessarily looking to hook up with anyone but just have people to talk to so I'm not alone.

2) What is the age range on these types of cruises? I won't be going with a friend or anything either and don't want creepy 60 year old guys trying to hit on me all the time.

3) How much should I buffer for extra expenses?

4) Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks again for your help!

Actually now that I've called Priceline, it's actually WAY more expensive to travel as single person and not share a room. To go on my own I'm paying almost double the price which I cannot afford. I'd have to go with someone anyone and share. That sucks. How can I find someone to share a room with when I'm not going with a friend myself?

P.S. Sorry I didn't realize I couldn't post links. I have them in the main post but I can't edit it now. I apologize for that and hopefully a mod can remove it.

Edited by TigerLilly813

Tiger

If you go with singlescruise.com they will set you up with a roommate so you don't have to pay double the price. As far as everyone wanting to hook up that is a myth. Most of the group is just there for a vacation and to have fun. A lot of them will already know each other, as they travel like that throughout the year. It is a great way to cruise for single peopl whose friends back home maybe married or just don't like to travel. I have been on a couple with them and loved it. I was hoping to go this NYE, but it looks like it probably won't work out.

Both groups come well recommended. CCL has a habit of changing the names on their really old ships and palming them off to unsuspecting public. I think one of these is old. Find out.Google "Hosted singles cruises" on search Cruise Critic at top of this page for info.Can you find and afford AIR at this busiest time of year? If you are uncomfortable with a constant, shall we say drunken, noisy party atmosphere go at another time or line.

I was once booked on a ship when I discovered one of the singles companies would be on board. I was considering joining the group but checking previous activity schedules I found they were very alcohol-oriented. And their first port tour (Nassau) was to a bar. I rarely saw any of them in the same activities around the ship, so I doubt they had the same interests I do. Unless you drink heavily, be suspicious.

I was on (Carnival Valor, I think) in January a few years ago, 400 kids, you rarely saw them. I was told there had been 1700 over New Years. Children are usually 3rd/4th occupancy, that's 1700 extra seats in the restaurant, space around the pool, etc. Expect expensive, crowded, thoroughly unpleeasant on holiday sailings.