Transportation from airport to port

apdaisy

My family will be taking our first cruise next October. We are debating on driving or flying. Can anyone tell me what is the best option for transportation from the airport to port?

What is the ship, and where is it sailing from? Hard to tell w/out that information.

We are going on the Carnival Freedom out of Galveston and will be flying into Houston.

That is one of the longest trips from Airport to cruise port. The other is flying into Orlando, Fl to sail out of Port Canaveral. It's about 50-70 miles from IAH to Galveston cruise port. If you have a bunch going, since it's around $70.00 per traveler round trip from the cruise line, you could research other "Galveston cruise port transportation" options.

I have not sailed out of Galveston myself. If other posters have had good success with outside companies, posting the information would great!

I cruised there in Feb. there was no private transportation- like a shuttle service, at that time. Super Shuttle had availability IF you contracted the entire van, they did NO individual bookings. Several were organized on the Roll call. One way car rentals were available, and the cruise ship offers efficient transfers- which I used.

Do a google search, it looks like there are now more options.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thank you for the information. Since we're not going until next October we have lots of time to figure it out. I just wanted to see if anyone could give me some good ideas.

Some of the threads mention a small company called Galveston Express. You might look for posts about it. Those who have used it seem pleased with the service and with the price.

We're reserved on a Royal cruise from Galveston in February '16. Trying to figure out transport from IAH too. Probably best bet to reserve transfer through the cruise lines, but what if we want to fly in a day early to IAH? Would Royal still allow us to return to IAH on our sail date to transfer - or would we need to have a flight arriving ON the sail date?

It would seem to be poor business if Royal would "force" a customer to rent a car just because they want to fly to the port a day early.

My family will be taking our first cruise next October. We are debating on driving or flying. Can anyone tell me what is the best option for transportation from the airport to port?

I am cruising on RCI out of Galveston on November 13th. A group of 6 of us are flying into IAH. We are going a couple days early, and prefer to stay at hotels near the port when we cruise. Therefore, the RCI shuttle was not an option for us. We researched a whole bunch of private car services, and got several quotes. We settled on one (Ladybird Limousine) that will take us from IAH to the hotel (near the port) for $200 US (for 6 adults). They are also meeting us at the port when we disembark and will take all 6 back to IAH for $220 (an extra $20 port fee they are required to pay). The rates do not include gratuity.

We're reserved on a Royal cruise from Galveston in February '16. Trying to figure out transport from IAH too. Probably best bet to reserve transfer through the cruise lines, but what if we want to fly in a day early to IAH? Would Royal still allow us to return to IAH on our sail date to transfer - or would we need to have a flight arriving ON the sail date?

It would seem to be poor business if Royal would "force" a customer to rent a car just because they want to fly to the port a day early.

We're sailing February 28, 2016 and are also looking for transfers. We are flying in on the Friday into Hobby and staying in Galveston. I sent for quotes from both Galveston Express and Galveston Shuttle. Looks like Galveston Express is cheaper at $20/person.

Royal Caribbean will let you book a 1-way shuttle on the way back if that's what you prefer.

We're sailing February 28, 2016 and are also looking for transfers. We are flying in on the Friday into Hobby and staying in Galveston. I sent for quotes from both Galveston Express and Galveston Shuttle. Looks like Galveston Express is cheaper at $20/person.

Royal Caribbean will let you book a 1-way shuttle on the way back if that's what you prefer.

Cruised RCCL Navigator Oct 11 2015 Used Galveston Express Shuttle. Arrived day early and stayed one extra day in Galveston. Picked up at airport and hotel on time both ways. Great service and excellent rates.Check their pick up schedules before booking flights.

We have just used galveston express and found them to be wonderful.

From booking via emails when the company was relatively new to being dropped off back at IAH to return to UK they met all our needs.

We were collected at IAH and transferred to Galveston along with other cruisers who had been collected at a different terminal.

Our driver pointed things out along the way and was pleasant & professional.

Our return to IAH was not a scheduled cruise day as we stayed in Galveston for a few days but they happily made a transfer just for us.

I rang them on the morning to confirm all was ok and it was. They turned up at the time stated with another most pleasant and professional driver.

We would not hesitate to use them again.

We always fly in a day ahead and usually stay at an airport hotel that has a shuttle to and from the airport. We take the shuttle back to the airport on sailing day and take the cruise transfer to the ship. We used to have to put in a "fake" arrival time on the sailing date, but we haven't had to do that recently. We haven't sailed RCI, but I don't think they'd be different.

Have a great cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
I am cruising on RCI out of Galveston on November 13th. A group of 6 of us are flying into IAH. We are going a couple days early, and prefer to stay at hotels near the port when we cruise. Therefore, the RCI shuttle was not an option for us. We researched a whole bunch of private car services, and got several quotes. We settled on one (Ladybird Limousine) that will take us from IAH to the hotel (near the port) for $200 US (for 6 adults). They are also meeting us at the port when we disembark and will take all 6 back to IAH for $220 (an extra $20 port fee they are required to pay). The rates do not include gratuity.

for those that might be interested, I thought I would copy my post on Trip Advisor related to our car service experience with Lady Bird Limousine ...

"I recently completed a cruise (Royal Caribbean) out of Galveston on board Liberty of the Seas. Our group consisted of 6 adults. We all flew into Houston IAH from Canada a few days before the cruise departed, and booked a private limousine service to drive us from IAH to Galveston (the Tremont House) and then pick us up at the port after the cruise was done and take us back to IAH. I contacted several companies in the area and requested quotes. We settled on Lady Bird Limousine. Based on our experience, I can highly recommend this company. Both legs of our transportation between Houston and Galveston went without any issues. The driver was on time for both rides. On arrival at IAH he greeted us at the baggage claim area, and lead us to the vehicle. At the port in Galveston, he waited outside the port area and we connected via cell phone once our group was through US border security and then he drove into the port and picked us up curbside. The communication with Lady Bird Limousine for the booking arrangements was very good, and I thank Susan Hunter for her timely and helpful responses. The drivers were in contact with me via phone and text, so we always knew we were looked after. The vehicles were comfortable, and handled our group of 6 with luggage. The cost for the return trip was $420 US for the 6 of us, which included a $20 US charge they have to pay to enter the port. Our group felt that the cost was reasonable ($70 per person return) given the high level of service we received. We added a tip to the driver in both cases. Again, I highly recommend Lady Bird Limousine"

Does anybody who how much Royal Caribbean charges to shuttle you to Galveston from IAH?

I believe it is $47 US per person one way. Their shuttle from the airport to the ship is only available on embarkation day, so if you travel down a day or two early, it may not be an option unless you travel back to the airport.