Volunteering in st lucia and looking for suggestions afterwards...

Ash1012

Hello! We will be in St Lucia the week of Jan 18. My family will be volunteering at the salvation army's preschool in Castries. We are done volunteering at 1 and we would like something to do afterwards. Are there any recommended beaches close to that area or any must dos? My husband would like to snorkel, but any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks in advance!!

We went on a cruise in March and I struggled to find places to volunteer or donate. We were headed to different islands this time and wanted to look into our stops. I stumbled upon shoretrips.com who partners with hopefloats.org. They have 6 or so different islands they have volunteer "excursions" with. You can choose anything between helping at the Salvation Army, soup kitchen, animal care, community cleanup. I felt like each website offered different opportunities. We go in a couple weeks and can let you know how it goes, if you would like.

We have been to St.Lucia twice now> The first time we did Cosel tour which was an all day thing and the second time the whole family went ziplining which was also all day.

I am also finding it hard to find just a beach or something to do for a few hours.

I booked through Hope floats website. They were updating their website when I tried booking so my total was wrong. I just emailed them and they were able to get it all sorted out for me. They sent the contact information after a couple weeks, but they've always been good at returning my emails and keeping in contact with me.

• 2 weeks later...

SO we booked the preschool in St Lucia. We will be there on February 6th.

I would love if you reported back to let me know how it went. I know you will probably be just getting back as I am soon to leave but would love t hear about it.

I got a confirmation for paying and they said they would email within the week with details... Just waiting

That would be awesome. Did you find something to do after? I see there has not been any other responses.

I actually just sent a post to my Roll Call for the cruise telling them about Hope Floats.

Did they let you know what you will be doing at the preschool yet?

Keep in mind distances and roads in St Lucia. There is little near the port, most beaches are a minimum 30 minute drive, at best.

Vigue Beach is beautiful and right by the port, maybe a mile walk max. No facilities such as chairs or umbrellas, etc but lovey beach, lots of natural shade, and local rum shops and eats further down by the airport entrance.

The craft market is a great option to browse, pick up local made sauces, crafts, spices, and souvenirs.

You won't have much time after your volunteer service, so don't count on being able to see much of the island or get to many places.

Thanks for your volunteering. I'm sure the kids will appreciate it.

Just as an aside, when we toured with Cosol he mentioned that there is no compulsory education on St. Lucia and percentage of kids who do attend school and eventually graduate equivalence of high school is 50%. My figures may not be completely accurate but you definitely get the idea that education is not foremost on St. Lucia. Grenada was another story with education being required.

Just as an aside, when we toured with Cosol he mentioned that there is no compulsory education on St. Lucia and percentage of kids who do attend school and eventually graduate equivalence of high school is 50%. My figures may not be completely accurate but you definitely get the idea that education is not foremost on St. Lucia. Grenada was another story with education being required.

Lol, your tour guide was pulling your leg. Education is most definitely compulsory here in St Lucia, through Secondary school. And graduation rates from secondary school are higher than 50%. Closer to 80%. Secondary school (or high school in US terms) became universal about 8 years ago, and compulsory also. Your tour guide may be giving info from 40 years ago, when those fact were closer to true, but it is simply not the case now.

I too did that tour and he had explained that people didnt have the money for school or a means of getting there.

Is that not correct?

I guess when I am there and Volunteering I will get the answers.

Tammy

• 2 weeks later...

Well we just got back from our cruise. I would have to say that I also disagree from what I saw. The kids at the preschool were incredibly smart and so well behaved. They knew all their months, days of the week, counted and did the ABC's. They also worked on Spanish. I was really impressed!!

Anyways, we really enjoyed our time with the kids very much. We did leave a little early because quiet time started and we didn't want to be disruptive. Plus, we had our own children with us and the kids all wanted to play. There was a local volunteer there and she took us to a local restaurant afterwards. It was really good to get some local food and then we walked back to the ship. I'm planning on posting some pictures on Hope Floats Facebook page.

I too did that tour and he had explained that people didnt have the money for school or a means of getting there.

Is that not correct?

Tammy

Yes, he was essentially telling you a son story in the hopes of extra tips. Schooling is compulsory and free in St Lucia. Uniforms and books are additional. Buses run for school all over the island, and that's on the parents to, just as it is in the States in most cases. Bus drivers have lower monthly rates for school trips. Yes, some parents struggle, but the government also gives a school payment each year to parents of kids through Secondary school To help with uniforms and books.

Your tour guide was not giving you accurate info as far as Schooking goes. Sorry about that.

Is that not correct?

Tammy

Have fun on your trip!! You are going to love it! By the way our cab driver did not know where it was and dropped us off at a church down the street. They were very helpful though pointing us in the right direction!! Have fun!