incontinent disabled cruiser

hac_1234

hi everyone,

I am traveling with my disabled father who needs a wheelchair and/or walker to get around. we booked him a handicapped cabin onboard carnival. He gets around pretty good but unfortunately has become incontinent at night. This means soiled linens in the mornings. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing and if it will be an issue with the room stewards. Obviously they are not paid to handle peed on sheets but I have to assume my father is not the first disabled cruiser with this issue. I do plan on compensating the steward first thing on board. This is our first trip with him since he became disabled and am unsure of a lotta things with regards to disabled travelling.

Thanks

Would your father be adverse to wearing incontinence undergarments at night? I have a friend who only wears hers if she is traveling for long periods of time just in case. It seems like the undergarments would be much more comfortable for your father to be able to just discard them in the morning than having soiled sheets.

Support suggestion for disposable diapers at night. Probably a good

idea enroute also.

And about 3 of those small mattress pads for under the sheets would be necessary so as not to soil the mattress in the event there were an accident.

And remember - any medically required items can be in their own suitcase and they do not count in the luggage limitation. Just be sure to indicate that

when you check in the airlines.

Support suggestion for disposable diapers at night. Probably a good

idea enroute also.

And about 3 of those small mattress pads for under the sheets would be necessary so as not to soil the mattress in the event there were an accident.

And remember - any medically required items can be in their own suitcase and they do not count in the luggage limitation. Just be sure to indicate that

when you check in the airlines.

I have checked with the airline we are taking next and they told me that my wheelchair is not counted as extra luggage but an extra suitcase would be counted. Any extra supplies I need will have to be in my luggage that can't weigh over 50 pounds!

How do you justify extra luggage with your airline?

I am an amputee and carry extra supplies for my prosthesis and w/c, including a tool kit. I put then all in a separate bag and tell them when I get to security that it is medical supplies. It does not count as a carry on. I have not had a problem in the last 5 years.

good luck...I also recommend the blue waterproof under- pads (get them at Walgreens) and the room steward can put special pads on the bed to protect it...I am sure they do this for small children.

While we do intermittent cath for my mother during the day, at night she wears heavy duty incontinence pads, and she wears lighter weight pads during the day just in case. We take one whole soft-sided suitcase with her pads (this is her carry-on for the plane). We bring enough for the cruise plus a few extras. By the end of the cruise, we have emptied that suitcase, and we either fold it and put it into another suitcase, or use it for all the dirty clothing when we fly home (and check it).

At night, in addition, I put a 36" square non-disposable bed pad under her, with a paper Chux on top of it. This makes it easy to keep the bed dry in case her padding does not work (rare), and I can easily throw away the paper Chux, and if needed, wash the non-disposable pad (we take 2 with us).

I never expect the room steward to clean up linens with stool or urine on them. In the AM, I put the soiled disposables (incontinence and bed pads) in a empty plastic grocery bag (we bring these too), and tie up the top and leave it in the bathroom for disposal.

We have "donated" extra pads to the ship's hospital on the last day several times, and the nurses are always glad to get them.

For your father, have you considered him using an external condom catheter during the day and/or the night? Men have the advantage of being able to use these to contain their urine, and the right brand can be easy to fit and apply and be very effective. I am a rehab nurse, and we use them with our patients all the time.

If he is incontinent of stool, a bowel training program and regular bowel care can nearly always get this under control. Speak to his physician and ask to get referred to an advanced practice rehabilitation nurse who can help him set up such a program.

My husband has just started wearing the external catheters when we are away from the house for an extended period of time. We think they are the greatest thing ever.

As long as you only have medical supplies in a suitcase, the airline has to take it no matter how much it weighs. Just don't put anything in it but your supplies.

For your father, have you considered him using an external condom catheter during the day and/or the night? Men have the advantage of being able to use these to contain their urine, and the right brand can be easy to fit and apply and be very effective. I am a rehab nurse, and we use them with our patients all the time.

Splinter,

Could you please recommend the "right brand" of an external catheter since you have professional experience with this problem? This would be a good idea for my husband when we are on shore as it is sometimes very difficult to find a bathroom. He also has problems with stairs so finding an accessible bathroom is not easy.

Thanks alot.

There is no right brand or model for all men. If there were, there would only be one on the market. I would stick to non-latex ECCs if possible, and the self adhesive types are the easiest to apply and keep in place. Be sure the size is right (each manufacturer provides a sizing gauge based on the diameter of the penile shaft).

Ones I would recommend trying (it is pretty much trial and error) are these:

Rochester Ultraflex or Wideband

Mentor Clear Advantage

Conveen Security+

You can get a sample pack for one price with several different brands from this company: http://www.hdis.com/index.asp

I suggest that if you have insurance coverage for such items, check with the insurance company to see who their preferred vendors are. Then contact those vendors, explain that you're just starting out and need samples of everything to figure out what works best. We've found that they typically have customer service reps who are very helpful.

When we first started, we got free samples from two different vendors. Then it was just a matter of trial and (luckily not too much) error.

Condom catheters are a wonderful thing. Don't wait.

Thanks Splinter and Three Rings for the info! It's hard to convince my husband to do this, but would be nice for him not to worry when we're out. I'm sure it keeps him from doing things when he's not sure where the bathrooms are located.

Has anyone tried this Alpha Dry? It advertises as new without leg bags.

http://www.alphadry.com/?gclid=COaE7Kax8o0CFRGCGgodS298LQ

Thanks for your help.

Not a great system if he voids in volumn and doesn't just leak a little. The weight of the urine will pull it off, and it is actually often more difficult to drain than a leg bag. Plus, you have to clean and dry to reuse (so you have to have several). Other external catheters are disposable so much easier to manage. This is also latex, and due to the high rate of latex allergies in many with disabilities, I would not recommend using it.

Thanks Splinter,

I guess he won't be able to use it, but it would only be used in emergency situations when we won't know where to find a bathroom-not for everyday use.

He doesn't want to use a leg bag. I'll just have to talk to him some more about it.

You are always alot of help.

Mine and my husband's only issue with the leg bag is that we live in Florida and he wears shorts all the time. We solved that issue by finding some very light weight nylon pants that he now wears. He loves the catheter and it is so much better than trying to rush around to get him to a bathroom in time.

Thanks George2000,

I'm sure it's really tough in FL! I'll try to talk him into it and find nylon pants......probably has some light enough already, but loves to wear shorts.

Three Rings,

Do you remember which vendors gave you samples? I don't know where to start.

hi everyone,

I am traveling with my disabled father who needs a wheelchair and/or walker to get around. we booked him a handicapped cabin onboard carnival. He gets around pretty good but unfortunately has become incontinent at night. This means soiled linens in the mornings. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing and if it will be an issue with the room stewards. Obviously they are not paid to handle peed on sheets but I have to assume my father is not the first disabled cruiser with this issue. I do plan on compensating the steward first thing on board. This is our first trip with him since he became disabled and am unsure of a lotta things with regards to disabled travelling.

Thanks

My mom also has trouble with incontinence. She wears Depends at night. We would never expect the room steward to change soiled sheets. We would be far too embarrassed. :eek:

There are leg bags that are designed to be worn with shorts (longer shorts at least, not hot pants!!). Both Alpine and Urocare make them. They are called "sports" bags. You can also use a "belly bag" that fits around the waist. These both also work for women who want to wear skirts.

For urologic supplies, try these companies:

http://www.uromed.com/

http://www.a-med.com/

http://www.exmed.net/

Like others have said I would not expect the steward to clean up after your father especially when there are incontinenance undergarments and also disposable pads that you can easily carry in your luggage. Since he doesn't need the pads during the day you're really not talking about much weight or space in your luggage.

Three Rings,

Do you remember which vendors gave you samples? I don't know where to start.

Splinter gave you the URL for Uromed, which is the one I remember being very helpful. We used them for about 2 years until the insurance company stopped using them as a vendor. (We don't like our new company as much). So I'd definately recommend talking to Uromed.

BTW, nobody *wants* to wear a leg bag, but when it becomes inconvenient enough to find a bathroom quickly enough (ie, one or two "accidents") it becomes less an issue of *want*. :)

I use depends belted undergarments at nite & when I don't know how long I'll have to wait to cath. To save room in my luggage I seal 3-4 pads in a plastic bag with my "Tilia" vacuum sealer. You'd be suprised how much room you can save & the pads fully expand when you open the bag.

:)HAPPY CRUISING:)

Fil

hi everyone,

Thanks

On a somewhat random note I'm so glad there are people like you out there. Too often, the elderly who are any sort of "inconvenience" now-n-days are put into "nice" retirement homes and are subject to lonely and uneventful days for the rest of their lives. No vacations, only holiday visits, etc.; it's very sad. At that age one should be rewarded with enjoyments such as traveling after raising families, working, and putting others first for so long. I hope you all enjoy the trip!

Splinter gave you the URL for Uromed, which is the one I remember being very helpful. We used them for about 2 years until the insurance company stopped using them as a vendor. (We don't like our new company as much). So I'd definately recommend talking to Uromed.

BTW, nobody *wants* to wear a leg bag, but when it becomes inconvenient enough to find a bathroom quickly enough (ie, one or two "accidents") it becomes less an issue of *want*. :)

Sooo true! Thanks for the info.

• 6 years later...
I use depends belted undergarments at nite & when I don't know how long I'll have to wait to cath. To save room in my luggage I seal 3-4 pads in a plastic bag with my "Tilia" vacuum sealer. You'd be suprised how much room you can save & the pads fully expand when you open the bag.

:)HAPPY CRUISING:)

Fil

I think this is a terrific solution when a small amount of supplies are needed. I need to bring 288 pads onboard. HELP