First time NZ cruise - need some help!

tngtng

I never been cruise before. I am planning to bring my parents to have a cruise from Sydney to New Zealand in anytime between end of Nov to Jan.

I have a few questions about the cruise.

1) My mother and me are very easy to get sea sick (motion sick). What is the tips for that to avoid sea sick ?

2) Is the sea from Sydney to NZ route claim or rought ? Any rough waves and bad condition during Nov to Jan ?

3) I did some research, there are a few cruise from Sydney to NZ

- P & O Pacific Pearl

- Princess Sun

- radiance of the seas

- Celebrity solstice cruise (Very big ship but need to buy a one-way air ticket from Auckland to Sydney, it is about $140 more)

Which one is better and recommended ?

Pacific Pearl and Sun Princess are small ship comparing other. Will they not good for sea sick ?

4) Apart from NZL, is that sailing from Sydney to South Pacific Island/FiJi are more claim in the sea ? Or they are the same ?

Thanks !

I never been cruise before. I am planning to bring my parents to have a cruise from Sydney to New Zealand in anytime between end of Nov to Jan.

1) My mother and me are very easy to get sea sick (motion sick). What is the tips for that to avoid sea sick ?

2) Is the sea from Sydney to NZ route claim or rought ? Any rough waves and bad condition during Nov to Jan ?

- P & O Pacific Pearl

- Princess Sun

- radiance of the seas

- Celebrity solstice cruise (Very big ship but need to buy a one-way air ticket from Auckland to Sydney, it is about $140 more)

Pacific Pearl and Sun Princess are small ship comparing other. Will they not good for sea sick ?

4) Apart from NZL, is that sailing from Sydney to South Pacific Island/FiJi are more claim in the sea ? Or they are the same ?

Thanks !

Welcome to cruise critic

If your main worry is sea sickness - then I would suggest you go well prepared. There is no guarantee whatsoever on what type of weather you will encounter. It literally is in the hands of the Sea Gods ;) I think I would be safe in saying you will encounter heavy swells at minimum - somewhere along the line. Be prepared that's my best advice. ;)

Ginger is good for sea sickness, kwells, lots of over the counter stuff. The bands work well - there should be lot of replies for you with some wonderful advice - soak it all up

Edited by dizzy1948

Avomine worked for us. Chemist keeps it behind the counter so you need to ask for it. Start taking it the night before you board. We took it every night before bed. Had no issues and no seasickness. Have friends cruising on the Radiance to NZ later this year. They love RCI and in particular the Radiance because there is so much glass, including the lifts. Dec/Jan good time to visit NZ weatherwise. Can't comment on the seas though. Would imagine it varies day by day, week by week. We cruised to Sth Pacific last Christmas and the seas were calm for the entire 9 days.

- P & O Pacific Pearl

- Princess Sun

- radiance of the seas

Thanks !

We have cruised to NZ 3 times. Twice we were on Sapphire Princess (sister ship to Diamond Princess which does this cruise although not on your list). The other time was on Sun Princess, and next December we are going again on Celebrity Solstice.

As already stated, no one can predict the seas - and even in the South Pacific you can run the risk of encountering cyclones. Our previous sailings have all been in Jan/Feb and we have been relatively lucky with the weather. On the Sun however we did have to make a significant detour to avoid some cyclonic weather approaching from up north.

Essentially the larger ships handle the seas better. My recommendation would be the Solstice.. still some good deals available, even after allowing for air fares...(and deals on airfares are always about...have a look at Emirates.) You can choose to sail ex Sydney and fly back from Auckland or the other way round.

The Diamond Princess would be my second choice, followed by Radiance, Sun Princess...and a long last would be the Pacific Pearl.

cheers

Not sure that I am an expert on the med options to deal with sea/motion sickness. As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February. Our Tasman Sea crossing was fairly rough. I could deal with it fine. My wife didn't enjoy those challenges. Check out these postings for more info/background on this Solstice ship, its entertainment, food options, etc. Feel free to ask any follow-up questions on my live/blog and I will respond with any info that might help you in your planning. Lots of great options down under.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 64,428 views for this fun posting.

I would take either Radiance of the Seas or Solstice.

No guarantee on seas conditions, can be calm, can be rough.

Go to NZ and try to do both north and south island.

Get a cabin in the middle of the ship for your first cruise and at least an ocean view cabin or lower deck verandah. It is no fun being in an inside cabin when you are sick.