Royal IQ App- Quantum

jtorbs

I read that once you're on board, you are hooked up to Royal Wifi (for free) which allows the use of the Royal IQ App. If I take advantage of this, will all of my email and data come through on my phone as well? I would like to use the app but not at the expense of paying for the data on my phone company's end.

I read that once you're on board, you are hooked up to Royal Wifi (for free) which allows the use of the Royal IQ App. If I take advantage of this, will all of my email and data come through on my phone as well? I would like to use the app but not at the expense of paying for the data on my phone company's end.

Dear jtorbs

As the family IT expert, I can advise you need more than the Royal IQ App to access your texts and emails while cruising. You will have to purchase a wifi package to utilize those services. Depending on your C&A status, wifi discounts will be available.

By the way, aside from an emergency, why do you need to text/email while on the ship? You can tell'em all about it when you get back...

"Don't be sad it's over, just be happy you got to go!"

Yeah you can use the RoyalIQ app for free on board to check your account, make reservations, and plan your day. You do this by connecting to the ship's WiFi network, but there is no requirement to pay for an internet package.

This will ONLY allow access to these ship-board features, and you'll have no access to any other data at all... because that needs internet access!

Though on Quantum the internet packages look quite reasonable. If you do need to check emails occasionally you can get a 60 minute package to be used throughout the cruise for about $35 or something (I think) so you'd just log on, download the email, then log off again. You could make that go a long way.

For me, I'll be on the 2-device unlimited package, because connectivity is important to my partner and I for social and business reasons. At a reported $15/day for this package it's worth every penny to me!

Dear jtorbs

As the family IT expert, I can advise you need more than the Royal IQ App to access your texts and emails while cruising. You will have to purchase a wifi package to utilize those services. Depending on your C&A status, wifi discounts will be available.

By the way, aside from an emergency, why do you need to text/email while on the ship? You can tell'em all about it when you get back...

"Don't be sad it's over, just be happy you got to go!"

I understood the OP's question differently?

I read it as they're concerned that they may pay roaming data charges if connected to the app? Of course I may have got that wrong :)

I assume you can turn off roaming etc and still connect to the app so you don't incur any charges?

It's been reported today that with this sailing they are now charging $14.95/device.

Hi

My understanding is that with the Royal IQ app you can text people on board, like my family members instead of using a walkie talkie. This service is extra $.

Anybody know about this?

Thanks

Interesting. Just got off the Quantum on 3/29. At that time, the RoyalIQ app didn't cost anything. We downloaded the app and attached to the ship wifi and put our phone in airplane mode and were able to text each other, thru the IQ app, with no problem. We also could book and view our reservations.

We also signed up and paid for wifi package. This is a separate thing.

Interesting. Just got off the Quantum on 3/29. At that time, the RoyalIQ app didn't cost anything. We downloaded the app and attached to the ship wifi and put our phone in airplane mode and were able to text each other, thru the IQ app, with no problem. We also could book and view our reservations.

We also signed up and paid for wifi package. This is a separate thing.

I'm super sad about the whole thing because I was going to let the kids explore on their own for an hour or two if I could get ahold of them with the app. But now with it costing so much per device I don't think I will.

I'm super sad about the whole thing because I was going to let the kids explore on their own for an hour or two if I could get ahold of them with the app. But now with it costing so much per device I don't think I will.

Yea, that's too bad. It really worked out well for us. We did the same and always could get a hold of everyone anytime we wanted.

Yea, that's too bad. It really worked out well for us. We did the same and always could get a hold of everyone anytime we wanted.

I think that is a glitch that works for now. My son had his phone on airplane mode and not assigned to our wifi package and was getting some texts occasionally.

It's been reported today that with this sailing they are now charging $14.95/device.

Just got off yesterday, and you must pay $14.95 per device to text thru the app. We did not do it, nor the internet package as we had one day in Port Canaveral. We used that day to catch up and check in, and the rest of the week left the phone on airplane mode. The app came in handy a couple of times when we didn't remember a show time, but otherwise didn't use it at all.

My sister and I both purchased the $14.95 package so we could text and call each other through the Royal IQ app. It was great.

With my phone in airplane mode and on the Royal wifi, I would still get Facebook Messenger message notices. My cellular was completely off. My sister was getting random notices as well. Her iphone was also playing songs not on her phone was streaming them from wifi (she was in airplane mode and on Royal wifi). We had not purchased an internet package.

My sister and I both purchased the $14.95 package so we could text and call each other through the Royal IQ app. It was great.

With my phone in airplane mode and on the Royal wifi, I would still get Facebook Messenger message notices. My cellular was completely off. My sister was getting random notices as well. Her iphone was also playing songs not on her phone was streaming them from wifi (she was in airplane mode and on Royal wifi). We had not purchased an internet package.

Did you both need a wifi package or can you just get the text/call package for $14.95 by itself?

Sorry, ignore this! I just read your last sentence. I also didn't notice I was in 2 separate threads running next to each other.

Edited by fred30

Did you both need a wifi package or can you just get the text/call package for $14.95 by itself?

Sorry, ignore this! I just read your last sentence. I also didn't notice I was in 2 separate threads running next to each other.

No worries! No internet package! Everyone who wants to text and call need to purchase 14.95 package.

The only time Royal iq didn't work was when your phone disconnected from the Royal wifi. Have to check and make sure phone is connected every now and then

Did anyone try texting just using wifi and not the Royal IQ App? This $15 charge is changing things for us as I was hoping our group of 6 could use it to keep track of each other. But $90 for that convenience seems a bit steep.

We were also planning to buy the unlimited wifi for 2 devices. I'm wondering if we do that if we could just use our regular wifi texting apps to keep in touch. In the past when we purchased that plan we could use multiple devices to log on, but could only have 2 on at a time.

Anyone know if that will work?

Did anyone try texting just using wifi and not the Royal IQ App? This $15 charge is changing things for us as I was hoping our group of 6 could use it to keep track of each other. But $90 for that convenience seems a bit steep.

We were also planning to buy the unlimited wifi for 2 devices. I'm wondering if we do that if we could just use our regular wifi texting apps to keep in touch. In the past when we purchased that plan we could use multiple devices to log on, but could only have 2 on at a time.

Anyone know if that will work?

It will work - for two people at a time. That's the downside [emoji20]