Basic ? regarding booking flight using AAdvantange miles

cajun-crazy

This will be my first time booking a flight using AA miles. I have a little over 50K and need three tickets. My thought is to book 2 tickets @ 25K each and purchase the third ticket at a later date (or when the fare seems reasonable). So, my questions:

1) on the AA website you enter the approx date of departure and return. The website brings up two calendars showing what awards are still available for the departing and return flights (25K, 45K, 50K, etc). Am I correct that one roundtrip would use a 25K award? It isn't 25K for the departing flight and 25K for the return flight is it?

2) I'm thinking of giving DH and DS11 the tickets booked with the FF miles and I'll travel independently of them if needed. Other than departure and arrival times being different, do you anticipate any problems with this?

3) I understood that Alaskan airlines was a partner with AA. If I wanted to book a flight using Alaskan with my AA FF miles, do I need to contact an agent to do that? I only see AA flights availabe through the AA website.

Thanks for taking time to answer such basic questions. I won't be 330 days out until early July - but it'll be here before we know it!

1. 25,000 miles for each coach ticket + taxes and fees (usually about $30.00 per ticket to Alaska booked on the web)

2. No problems if there are tickets available for the same date. You may even get the same flight, if it is available.

3. Yes, for partner airlines you must use an agent. Availability on Alaska is "iffy" at best with AA miles, unless you are traveling in the Western US.

If a person has miles for 2 tickets and needs to purchase a third, the best FF scenario is to have the person with the active "earning" account use the paid ticket. In this way, the earned miles for a paid ticket are NOT orphaned into an account that won't likely reach redemption levels. Think where you want the earned miles to go and purchase appropriately.

Greatam gave the answers....here's a bit more. Research your choices in advance and have various contingencies ready. Don't just consider partner airlines, but also alternative airports. If you are cruising out of Vancouver, also look into Seattle as a possibility (and either a car rental or train between the two). If Seattle, consider Portland or Spokane (often cheap flights between GEG and SEA on WN if booked in advance). Also consider an alternative departure airport -- the more options and flexibility you have, the better your chances for scoring tickets at the MileSaaver level.

Thanks to both of you. My thought was that I would book the flights (trying for Seattle out of New Orleans) and looking at a Thurs or Friday flying out and a Sunday late or Monday flying back home. Once I find the flights, I'd look at the many Sat or Sunday cruises that do RT from either Seattle or Vancouver.

I'm still not clear when Greatam say 25K for each coach ticket - is that a ticket for going out and another ticket for returning. Or is it a round-trip ticket?

I'm still not clear when Greatam say 25K for each coach ticket - is that a ticket for going out and another ticket for returning. Or is it a round-trip ticket?

If flights are available for 25K, it is round trip.

The answer is only partially correct. If you see a date (departure or return) marked 45K or 50K, you cannot use that date as part of your 25K round trip. Thus, you must make sure your projected flight dates on both end are of the 25K variety. I would certainly consider whether the itinerary for Alaska (leaving either from Seattle or Vancouver) is the one you want. Most round trips from Seattle, for example, do not go as far as Glacier Bay, which many consider the highlight of an Alaskan cruise. Also, you should be checking what cabins are still available, especially if you are proposing to go to Alaska this summer. Many ships are almost completely booked at this point, and the lower cost cabins quite often go first. If I were you, I would seriously consider visiting a travel agent who has a good background in cruises. Even though ta's don't get commission on airfare anymore, if you book a cruise through them they will assist you in booking the airfare, even if you use ff for two of the fligts.

The answer is only partially correct. If you see a date (departure or return) marked 45K or 50K, you cannot use that date as part of your 25K round trip. Thus, you must make sure your projected flight dates on both end are of the 25K variety.

AA's new calendar system will not allow you to pick a 25K flight and a 45/50K flight. The system immediately does one of two things, depending on the way you input info: gives you an error message OR defaults the 25K flight to 50K (anytime). If it defaults, the next screen shows 50,000 miles and only one passenger name. I know-I have been playing with the system for 2 weeks trying to find one elusive 25/45K ticket in early September. Can get the outbound, but FIL does not want to stay in Alaska for more than a few days. 11 days is the earliest I can get him home.

The OP is obviously cruising in 2008, since he has to wait until the 330 day mark to book tickets. Cabin availability and itinerary should be wide open.

• 1 month later...

Now that I've booked the cruise (SB from Anchorage to Vanouver) - I've been "pretending" to book my air on AA dot com. My 330 day mark isn't until early July.

Now that I see I'll need a multi-city flight, will I need to book these flights (using FF miles) through an agent? Since it is multi-city am I prohibited from booking online?

Also, I downloaded the "timetable" from AA website. It lists the different flights numbers that are scheduled - showing departure time, total mileage, arrival time, total hours of trip, etc. There are some that look favorable for my situation. However, when I go to the AA website, these flights don't come up. This is entering a date of early May, 2008 - so I know it isn't because they are all booked.

I'm looking for any insight and pointers so that I can have a better idea of what would work when I do call in early July for those FF flights. Keep in mind I then have to purchase a 3rd flight. I really don't want to pay top dollar for the third flight just to be able to all travel together.

Thanks again for your time.

Now that I've booked the cruise (SB from Anchorage to Vanouver) - I've been "pretending" to book my air on AA dot com. My 330 day mark isn't until early July.

Now that I see I'll need a multi-city flight, will I need to book these flights (using FF miles) through an agent? Since it is multi-city am I prohibited from booking online?

Also, I downloaded the "timetable" from AA website. It lists the different flights numbers that are scheduled - showing departure time, total mileage, arrival time, total hours of trip, etc. There are some that look favorable for my situation. However, when I go to the AA website, these flights don't come up. This is entering a date of early May, 2008 - so I know it isn't because they are all booked.

I'm looking for any insight and pointers so that I can have a better idea of what would work when I do call in early July for those FF flights. Keep in mind I then have to purchase a 3rd flight. I really don't want to pay top dollar for the third flight just to be able to all travel together.

Thanks again for your time.

CALL AA. Spend the $15.00 for agent service. The agents have MANY more options for FF tickets than what is available on the web. The AA computer interface will ONLY book you on AA. It will NOT allow flights on partner airlines (like Alaska). You will also be able to complete the entire transaction (2 FF tickets and one purchased ticket) without a lot of confusion.

If you want the easiest (most availability) option, Louisiana to Seattle (via Dallas), then Seattle to ANC via Alaska Airlines. You may NOT be able to fly to ANC from Dallas as early in the season as you are planning to go to Alaska on AA. AA service to Alaska from DFW does not usually start until June 5-10.

For the return, you MAY be able to get a flight out of Vancouver if you book early enough (at 330 days). However, there will be much more availability from Seattle and you mentioned flying out the next day after your cruise. Train, bus, rental car from the cruise port to Seattle is very doable. The train is a SPECTACULAR journey, although you will most likely NOT be able to fly out of Seattle the same day your cruise arrives in Vancouver. The Amtrak train leaves Vancouver at 6:00PM and arrives Seattle about 10:00PM. So you will need to spend the night in Seattle.

Hope this helps. Let one of the AA agents help you, please. Even with top tier elite status on AA, I still call. It is worth the $15.00 to me. And if you don't like the answers you get from the first call, the adage that applies to the airline industry-try, try again. Sometimes it takes 3 phone calls to get an agent that really knows their stuff and is willing to bend over backwards to help the customer. Good luck!!!

And if you don't like the answers you get from the first call, the adage that applies to the airline industry-try, try again. Sometimes it takes 3 phone calls to get an agent that really knows their stuff and is willing to bend over backwards to help the customer. Good luck!!!

Put that advice into a sticky!! Especially if you're on the phone with one of Delta's agents in Bangalore (or wherever it's been outsourced to). Truly something to always remember when you're on the phone with an airline. Thanks for posting it for everyone.

My rule of thumb is that if I can do it myself online to my satisfaction, that's the way to go. For stuff like checking flight times, current travel conditions & flight status, gate assignments, OLCI, seat selections -- online is faster and I'm in control. Same for routine bookings and routings. Also, it doesn't clog up the phone queues with traffic that can be handled elsewise. So if online gets you what you need, it's best for all to use that.

BUT - when it's something that isn't quite what I want, or something that can't be done online, or that requires some special knowledge or attention, I pick up the phone. The airline numbers are on speed dial, and I can speakerphone it while I might be on hold.

Archived