One Way Flights - Any Advice to Save $$

Cruise Gypsy

We have a cruise coming up that is going to require two one way flights.

The airline tickets are for Seattle to Barcelona then Miami to Seattle. It is a transatlantic crossing cruise.

We are planning on using a combination of miles and a companion certificate but we will have to buy round trip tickets for each. Is this the best option?

Any tips on one way tickets would be appreciated.:D

FOr the past three years I have been buying my round trip== with one way tickets. DOing it this way gives me the best flight times that is better for my travel then buying round trip flights. WHat surprises me the most is that it is not expensive to do it that way. I buy my going down one month and coming home the following month.

Our trip to FLL was actually cheaper doing one ways then it was booking roundtrips. (130pp total)

Becareful with those companion tickets-- sometimes the first flight is a premium costs-- check online the going rate for sales. NEVER look at prices on the weekend as these will be the highest rate.

All online booking agencies--including the individual airlines flying your destinations will have a search for one way flights

We have a cruise coming up that is going to require two one way flights.

The airline tickets are for Seattle to Barcelona then Miami to Seattle. It is a transatlantic crossing cruise.

We are planning on using a combination of miles and a companion certificate but we will have to buy round trip tickets for each. Is this the best option?

Any tips on one way tickets would be appreciated.:D

I am slightly confused by your statement "trying to use a combination of miles ***". Most companion certificates require PURCHASE of the first ticket (you cannot use miles to get the first ticket). As Serene pointed out, some companion certificates require the purchased ticket to be in a much higher fare bucket than one would normally purchase.

I saw some certificates last year that required the purchased ticket to be in such a high fare bucket to be eligible to use the companion "free ticket", you could buy TWO discount fare tickets and save money. READ the fine print carefully.

You may save money by booking a RT Seattle/Miami, then a one way to Barcelona from Miami. Very often there are fare sale on the SEA/Miami route.

AFAIK, there are no nonstops to BCN from Seattle. You will have to change planes at least once. Miami is a large international hub and you may find a decent price one way to Europe from Miami.

Unfortunately: 1) Very few airlines allow for one-way award tickets. That would directly hit their "business traveler" revenue base, so it's not an option you see. 2) Routes with good one-way fares tend to be in leisure markets, or those with a significant "Southwest effect" in play. In and out of FLL for example. 3) From SEA to BCN, you have no non-stop service. The only international non-stops are provided by NW (to AMS) BA (to London) AF (to CDG) and SAS (to Copenhagen). So you'll be making some kind of transfer somewhere. Fares are not great from SEA, so you might want to think along these lines: Buy an open jaw ticket SEA-NYC-(open)-MIA-SEA. That will handle getting you to New York and the return from MIA. Then, look for some lower-cost one-way tickets from JFK over to BCN. AerLingus may be a possibility. Look at Alaska Airlines for your domestic r/t -- you can get a non-stop MIA-SEA if that matters to you.

Archived