Would this work as a carry-on?

Are we there yet?

http://www.samsonitecompanystores.com/webapp/scs/servlet/SItemDisplay?productId=239796&storeId=10151&langId=-1&pc=C35

This folds into 3, so if it meets the measurement and weight restrictions (45" L+W+D, 22lbs), could I carry this onto "Air Tahiti Nui"?

I really would rather carry on all our formal clothes if possible, and also another days worth just in case of lost luggage.

Not sure of the full luggage rules at TN, but I wouldn't bother for a number of reasons. First off, if you are checking your luggage in directly with TN at LAX, there's little likelihood that it will get misrouted -- from LAX the only other destination is Paris, so I'd be pretty confident it's getting on the right plane (especially if you're on the 4pm to PPT - the CDG flight will have already left at 12:30 and yours is the only TN flight out the rest of the day). Next, this is just a soft bag over a set of hangers. You will have it folded in the overhead, possibly with other bags squished in along with yours. Given that there is little shape to this, you don't have much protection. Next, it may or may not have room for the "extra day" of clothing you want to take.

My own recommendation that has served me very well: Don't press your formal wear before you leave - pack it wrinkled in the suitcase and have the ship's laundry do a dry-clean and press of your tux when you come onboard. The rates are likely similar to having it done at home, and you KNOW it will be sharp and wrinkle free for you to wear. Just have your stewardess take the tux as soon as you unpack and it will be back in time for formal night. Also makes for easier packing without worrying about getting it all positioned to avoid wrinkles. Ditto for suits for informal nights. (I always have wrinkled formal wear in the closet at home - if I'm gonna need it, I have it done at my destination or in the days shortly before the event at home).

If you are still interested in this bag, take a look at it in person at a store and visualize it in an overhead and loaded with what you are contemplating. Luggage is a VERY personal topic, and what some people like, others would never use. Decide what fits YOUR approach to packing and "toting".

On the other hand, if this bag is somewhat lightweight, I, personally, would prefer to have it in the overhead compartment with 1 or 2 other carry ons, as opposed to in the luggage compartment with who knows what else falling onto it, or piled on it. How much formal wear can you fit into this bag? If you feel this is right for you, then I would do it.

FlyerTalker, I don't know yet how many planes we will be on for our trip to Tahiti as we are flying out of Detroit and are booked with Princess. From what I understand it could be a few, and I am a little afraid of it being lost before we even get onto "Air Tahiti Nui". I would absolutely send our clothes to be ironed once we got there as long as I knew for sure they were going to get there.

I haven't bought this yet, so will wait to see what route we are taking and will follow your advice if I can check it right through to Tahiti.

debshomespun, I looked as some other garment bags on the internet, and they all seemed too big for the carry on which is why I thought this might work. I agree that I wouldn't put this in the luggage compartment.....way too flimsy.

Thank you both for responding. We still have quite a while before we go (May 2008) so I have a lot of time to think about what to do in the meantime.

I think it is perfect. Given the problems with airline baggage handling, I think it is fine to carry on your formal wear and a change of clothes "just in case." Especially when traveling to remote areas.

Thanks Tarheelbelle, if I do end up using something like this, it will give me peace of mind at least.

Archived