Montreal or Miami

Jasjas

my friend and I are 2 ladies in our mid-sixties and will end our Alaska cruise in Vancouver and then spend 2 days there.

From Vancouver we have a choice to either fly home (Johannesburg) via Montreal or Miami. We could also spend 2 days in either of these cities ...

We have never been to USA before this trip.

Prior to the Alaska cruise we will also spend 3 days in New York...

Please help us choose : Montreal or Miami ???

Regards.

Jasjas.

Those are two VERY different cities - aside from time zone, partying and English not being the main language I see very little they have in common. You truly don't have your own idea which you'd enjoy more?

If you'd rather hear French, eat bagels, and see hills & rivers - Montreal.

if you'd rather hear Spanish, eat churros, and see the ocean - Miami.

Yes, I'm distilling a ridiculously complex comparison down to some very stereotyped bullet-points... the better answer is 'go do some reading to see which has the most things you would like to do/see/eat'

I suppose that I should have expected to sound a bit dumb in posing such a question.... and I did deserve the answer...

In South Africa it most probably would have been a choice between a beautiful beach resort or an exciting bushveld safari,,,and I would also not have understood that someone could not make up their own mind...

I will follow your advice and do some homework.... Thanks for taking the time to talk to me...

Sincerely.

Jasjas.

I agree. Montreal is beautiful in September - fall weather, but not yet cold (think sweater or light jacket)...but it's not yet winter, which means you don't yet have to worry about snow and snow-related flight delays. Montreal also, as mentioned, has great views right in the city from Mount Royal, where the changing colours of the leaves will be breathtaking if you've never seen that before.

Miami - definitely better as a beach destination, and better shopping, but there is the chance a hurricane could cause a major crimp in your plans.

One other consideration - what are your flight plans? If you have to go through Europe, Montreal will give you shorter flights for both legs. I know there's nonstop flights from Vancouver to Montreal - to get from Vancouver to Miami, you need to connect.

And one more thing...Vancouver to Montreal is a domestic flight, so you avoid going through US customs again.

Well, I guess my mind is made up for me by people who know much better than I can ever know by doing any amount of reading...

I thank you all sincerely for taking the trouble to respond to my plea...

SensFan11, Bruin Steve and Mapleleaves...

Thanx again.

Jasjas.

Just wanted to say another vote for Montreal, though it seems you may be headed that way based on the comments.

Great time of year to visit, will be cool but probably won't be any issue after returning from Alaska.

They do speak a fair amount of English in Montreal... you won't be completely stuck if you don't know French. (it's the outlying areas and in Quebec City you have more issues with language) Montreal is a beautiful city. Visit down near the Vieux Porte... old city... absolutely beautiful. One of the places you'll feel closest to being in Europe while still in North America.

Good luck with your planning!

dear Kittercat85,

I really do appreciate your comment... and we are now excited to visit Montreal...

Can you maybe suggest a reasonable hotel in a good location for us to see the beautiful sights in Montreal ?

Thanx again.

Jasjas

Well, I guess my mind is made up for me by people who know much better than I can ever know by doing any amount of reading...

A little reading will provide information on all the sights and activities available to you in Montreal. I think research is half the fun .... the excitement builds as you learn more about your destination. :)

Lots of info available on-line. ie the city web site

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/

Or use tripadvisor. Look at the Top Questions section and read trip reports.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g155032-i51-Montreal_Quebec.html

Actual numbers do wonders for helping focus answers - what's affordable/reasonable to me may be a ghastly fleapit or a veritable palace to you...

That said, when budget is our primary concern on a Montreal trip we've found that the Springhill Suites offers a clean environment, free brekky, and great location for the old town/port area.

• 4 weeks later...

I love both cities but agree wholeheartedly with all the posters above. Montreal is a beautiful city - last time we stayed in the Vieux-Port area.

Flying Vanc to Montreal - easy. Flying Vanc to Miami - takes all day due to connections required.

Enjoy!

The only time I ever stayed in downtown Montreal we stayed at the Cantlie Hotel. My husband used to stay there for business. It's an older hotel but very nice service and easy to walk everywhere. Very safe area. There were other hotels in that neighbourhood, but I don't remember what they were.

www.hotelcantlie.com

• 3 weeks later...

It's a very personal choice. I suggest you keep doing research to find out what you would prefer.

For me, I would do Miami by a landslide. I've been to both. Montreal will have a few historic sites that are worth visiting, but otherwise its not a whole lot different from any other major Canadian city ... speaking in very broad brush strokes.

Miami, on the other hand, is a very stark contrast to Vancouver. Goodbye firs and cedars, hello palm trees. Goodbye grey skies and rain jackets, hello sunshine and t-shirts.

Hallo FamilyOfSix,

Thanx for your input...We have decided to do neither of the 2 cities, but to spend the remaining 3 days in Vancouver and Victoria and then see Miami in two years time when we will do a Caribbean cruise.

Sincerely.

Jasjas.