Biodegradable Sunscreen

Margaritavillager

I've seen it at Walmarts and it is easy to find on Amazon. Even if it is not enforced, it is the right thing to do - protect the ocean so that your grandkids can also enjoy where you went snorkeling! ;)

I think I recall them looking in our bags at the security checkpoint at Xel-ha, but this was years ago. I believe they take your non-biodegradable stuff and give it back to you at the end.

In any event, there are some really good enviro-friendly brands these days that you can buy before you travel. Plus, they are MUCH better for your body than the chemical-laden sunscreens (check out the EWG safety data on these brands vs. traditional brands). Some brands to try are:

The Honest Company (you can buy at Target - sometimes you need to look in the baby section instead of the regular health & beauty section - you will find a LOT of healthier sunscreens in the baby section anyway!)

Kiss My Face (available at Target, maybe Walmart, Ulta/cosmetics stores, Whole Foods, Amazon.com)

Badger Sport (I believe you can order on Amazon, might also be able to find at Whole Foods or a health food store)

And I think there's even a Hawaiian Tropic line that's biodegradable, but you'd have to read carefully to make sure.

Just make sure you apply as often as the package tells you!