Conquest in port 8-4 - AI?

funinthesun1964

That's up to you and what else you want to do in CM. But one way to think about it is that you could be at an AI from 9/9:30-3, 5.5-6 hours. That's a long time, probably, as long as you'd spend on a beach anywhere. And depending on how much you think you and your group will eat and drink during that time could easily go over the cost of an AI pp at one of the beaches along the malecon. Without a doubt the swimup bar and Sr Frogs at the port would top that cost by your 2nd margarita.

That's up to you and what else you want to do in CM. But one way to think about it is that you could be at an AI from 9/9:30-3, 5.5-6 hours. That's a long time, probably, as long as you'd spend on a beach anywhere. And depending on how much you think you and your group will eat and drink during that time could easily go over the cost of an AI pp at one of the beaches along the malecon. Without a doubt the swimup bar and Sr Frogs at the port would top that cost by your 2nd margarita.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going with a group of 6. One of the other people checked into Almaplena, and the quote was $61 pp. Cost included taxi to and from port, lunch and drinks. They only take up to 20 people a day, and ride is approx. 20 minutes from port. Didn't sound like a bad price. If we would have 5.5 hours, I would think that would be plenty. Wondered about getting to and from - possibly any traffic tie-ups or anything like that?

Typically very little traffic along the main road. You might experience some delays once in New Mahahual nearing the port if everyone, including tours are coming back at same time. I'd suggest leaving Almaplena around 2:30-2:45 just for insurance. It is a long pier to walk back depending on where your ship docks. There should be shuttles though. And there will be longish lines to board the ship, although once you're in that line they won't pull up the gangplank.

Typically very little traffic along the main road. You might experience some delays once in New Mahahual nearing the port if everyone, including tours are coming back at same time. I'd suggest leaving Almaplena around 2:30-2:45 just for insurance. It is a long pier to walk back depending on where your ship docks. There should be shuttles though. And there will be longish lines to board the ship, although once you're in that line they won't pull up the gangplank.

Thanks for the info!!:)

Thanks for the reply. I'm going with a group of 6. One of the other people checked into Almaplena, and the quote was $61 pp. Cost included taxi to and from port, lunch and drinks. They only take up to 20 people a day, and ride is approx. 20 minutes from port. Didn't sound like a bad price. If we would have 5.5 hours, I would think that would be plenty. Wondered about getting to and from - possibly any traffic tie-ups or anything like that?

Definitely a great choice and it's really easy to do. The ride is exactly 20 minutes and we had no traffic issues coming or going. Just be aware that you will have to walk out of the compound and down the sidewalk to catch the taxi there (it's real easy to do and I can show you a map if needed). Then on the way back, they will take you all the way to the compound and drop you off at the entrance. No problems or having to walk back from the taxi area. Also, don't forget that Costa Maya is a port that has the trolley/trains that will take you from the port down the long pier to your ship for donations. It's definitely worth it! :)

If you haven't seen my review on Almaplena yet, check it out in my signature line. There's tons of pictures included.

Definitely a great choice and it's really easy to do. The ride is exactly 20 minutes and we had no traffic issues coming or going. Just be aware that you will have to walk out of the compound and down the sidewalk to catch the taxi there (it's real easy to do and I can show you a map if needed). Then on the way back, they will take you all the way to the compound and drop you off at the entrance. No problems or having to walk back from the taxi area. Also, don't forget that Costa Maya is a port that has the trolley/trains that will take you from the port down the long pier to your ship for donations. It's definitely worth it! :)

If you haven't seen my review on Almaplena yet, check it out in my signature line. There's tons of pictures included.

Thank you, I just read about your day in Almaplena! Looks nice. I am going to stay away from the beef tacos, I'm not crazy about beef anyway. I actually prefer vegetarian foods. Maybe I will try a quesadilla!

And I read that someone said the drinks taste like there's not much alcohol? Bummer, I love margaritas. I will try one and if it's not to my liking I will just stick to the beer. The service sounds like its not all that great if you have to go to them, for more drinks. Most places, they come to you!

We are waiting for one other couple to give their vote for it, and if they go along with it, then I think we will probably go ahead and go. I'm willing to give it a try.

Oh, and could you show me the map you were talking about? I am directionally challenged. How far would you say it is from when you get off the ship to get the taxi?

Thank you, I just read about your day in Almaplena! Looks nice. I am going to stay away from the beef tacos, I'm not crazy about beef anyway. I actually prefer vegetarian foods. Maybe I will try a quesadilla!

And I read that someone said the drinks taste like there's not much alcohol? Bummer, I love margaritas. I will try one and if it's not to my liking I will just stick to the beer. The service sounds like its not all that great if you have to go to them, for more drinks. Most places, they come to you!

We are waiting for one other couple to give their vote for it, and if they go along with it, then I think we will probably go ahead and go. I'm willing to give it a try.

Oh, and could you show me the map you were talking about? I am directionally challenged. How far would you say it is from when you get off the ship to get the taxi?

I guess it was my mistake that I just let them pick off the menu for me instead of actually looking at the menu and seeing what they had. Trust me, I'll never do that again. I did see what the people next to us was eating and it looked yummy.

Hmm, I'm not a real big drinker, so if I can taste any alcohol in it, I'm usually good to go. I don't remember them being watered down, but then again it's been a little while. They did bring us drinks down by the beach, but they were just a little slow with it. When we went, I believe they had just started offering this day pass for cruisers and the place itself had just opened up that January. So, I'm not sure...maybe they were just new to it and didn't really have the hang of it. I know that they were nice people, but were just limited on their English skills. They went out of their way to try to please my little one and made an awesome desert for her. Since we came back, I have them on my facebook and they actually remembered us and our little one. So that says a lot (I know this because I had posted pictures of their page that I took there that day and they liked them and had asked about our little one because they remembered...and she wasn't even in the pictures for it to spark their memory). :D

Here's the map I was talking about. You walk outside the port compound and down the road. You walk in the middle of the road, which is a grassy, lush area with tress and flowers and has a sidewalk. There are places to sit and rest along the way if there are any people with limited mobility. When you get toward the end, you will see the bright building that use to be Hard Rock Cafe on the right. You will find that the curb is painted yellow. This is where the taxi pick up area is. Very easy to find.

bigmap-L.jpg

This is a picture from google earth that shows the middle section you will walk down toward the taxi stand (this hasn't been updated obviously for years since it shows an unfinished area with no trees, flowers or gazebos:

outside%20port-L.jpg