Vancouver Taxis: Ways to pay / fireworks competition

I was unable to find an answer by doing a search... Do Vancouver taxi cabs take credit cards?

Also, does anyone know anything about the Honda fireworks competition in Vancouver? I bought tickets for the event for July 25 near English bay at the clearly spectacle lounge. We are wondering how late we can get in. Ticket says it opens at 6pm but fireworks not until 10 pm. Any info about the event from experience would be very helpful! Website assumes knowledge of the area. We are not sure where the lounge is, how to get to that area of town, other logistics... Any help would be appreciated !

You should have no trouble using a credit card in most of the cabs.

For the fireworks the biggest issue you will run into is street closures after 7-7:30. I think where you are you should be guaranteed your seat so that shouldn't be an issue.

Yes they do take credit cards...

• some drivers pull scam saying their machine is not working.... note down the car number and call dispatch to advise you are riding in a broken cab.
  • Another option is to not tip... how dare they don't take my credit cards
  • some drivers may demand Visa/Mastercard instead of taking American Excess to avoid higher fees

With regards to the viewing lounge....

[YOUTUBE]-T5QigVRlPk[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Hopefully the Urban trecker will be along to help on this thread as he lives very close to English Bay and very knowledgeable about when the area closes down to traffic. However, I can confirm that all cabs in Vancouver will accept Visa and MasterCard. AMEX and Discovery cards not so. I have used cabs in Vancouver for 50 years and never had a problem using a credit card.

Nobody can help with location of the Clearly Spectacle Lounge as it's brand new this year and doesn't appear on the map. The Keg lounge (what xlxo referred to above) is still in place, as is the YVR Observation area - apparently the Clearly lounge is the closest seating so will be very close to the waterfront, so I guess it's in front of the YVR seats. There should be ample signage around the area and plenty of event staff to ask.

Taxis are banned from 7:30pm just like all other vehicles - only exceptions are those with Disabled passes or proof of residence within the blocked-off area.

I would suggest you be there by 8:30pm so you've got time to find your seats and enjoy your included cocktails and appies - you paid for them after all;-)

Every cabbie will know where English Bay is, and as already mentioned they should all take at least Visa/MC. If you tell us where you're staying we can supply walking and transit directions as options.

Edited by martincath

While I will once again be volunteering for the fireworks on that night I haven't yet had my orientation so don't know where the new Clearly Lounge is anywhere.

Are the tickets reserved seating or general admission into an open corral area.

Trust me you won't want to be in a taxi any time after 7 - 8 PM - the number of people walking or biking into the area is enormous - they take over all of the streets - if taxis were allowed in you you would likely making a significant installment on the cabbie pension plan with the meter running and traffic at a stand still.

Another suggestions is to head down to the English Bay area earlier in the evening - say around 5 PM and have dinner at one of the restaurant in the area - Cactus Club, Milestones, Boathouse etc - enjoy a leisurely meal and then walk the short distance to your seating area.

Also perhaps if you let us know which hotel you are staying at we can give you some ideas on how you might be able to access the area.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers!

Dennis

While I will once again be volunteering for the fireworks on that night I haven't yet had my orientation so don't know where the new Clearly Lounge is anywhere.
Reading up on this link for the Clearly Lounge....

http://hondacelebrationoflight.com/festival-info/save-your-spot/

My guess Clearly will be at Bidwell and Beach. Basically one block to the East where the Inukshuk is kept. You can see references to the Inukshuk in the pictures.

Edited by xlxo

Trust me you won't want to be in a taxi any time after 7 - 8 PM - the number of people walking or biking into the area is enormous - they take over all of the streets - if taxis were allowed in you you would likely making a significant installment on the cabbie pension plan with the meter running and traffic at a stand still.
I agree taxi's will be crawling with the number of pedestrians... especially post fireworks. I would not be looking for a taxi until at least an hour after the fireworks.

However, according to this link.... taxi's are permitted along with anyone who can provide residential proof...

http://app.vancouver.ca/roadahead_net/ProjectOverView.aspx?ID=4177

On these evenings, vehicle access in the West End and Kits Point will be limited to residents who can prove residency through car registration or a resident permit parking decal. Emergency vehicles, buses, taxis and valid delivery trucks will also be allowed access. All others will not be allowed vehicle access into these two areas.

Edited by xlxo

I'm sorry to interrupt this thread but since it's on topic...

We'll be in Vancouver for the fireworks on the 29th and we're staying at the Hyatt (Burrard St). The Burrard bridge was previously recommended as a good viewing spot. It looks like it's about 1.5kms from our hotel so not too long of a walk.

Is that our best bet to avoid the craziness of taxis/pedestrians/drunks/rowdiness? I'd just like a nice civilized area with a decent view where we won't have to stake out all day (perhaps that's asking too much though given that half a million people come out for them...).

Anywhere with a decent view will start filling up hours before the event. We used to go down point grey road and watch from some of the look outs and you had the be there at 7ish to get a spot. The bridge would be good, but will fill up.

I agree taxi's will be crawling with the number of pedestrians... especially post fireworks. I would not be looking for a taxi until at least an hour after the fireworks.

However, according to this link.... taxi's are permitted along with anyone who can provide residential proof...

http://app.vancouver.ca/roadahead_net/ProjectOverView.aspx?ID=4177

On these evenings, vehicle access in the West End and Kits Point will be limited to residents who can prove residency through car registration or a resident permit parking decal. Emergency vehicles, buses, taxis and valid delivery trucks will also be allowed access. All others will not be allowed vehicle access into these two areas.

You obviously missed that the link provided was from 2012 and the policies changed - e.g. last years info here shows only residential vehicles allowed. While it's possible that the rules will change and taxis will be allowed in this year, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

As to the poster looking for a quick 'show up & see without having to hang around for hours' fireworks experience, Burrard Bridge is your best bet. There are no bathrooms, lounges, etc. and chairs aren't allowed therefore it's simply not a site that's feasible to arrive hours early and stake out a good spot.

It will be busy, but it's very feasible to arrive at 9:30 or so and still be able to see - that's what we do. Since cops constantly patrol (primarily to stop drivers from slowing down or stopping) and there's no sand or shrubbery to hide booze in, it also has the lowest 'drunken idiot' proportion in the crowds of all the good public viewing areas.

Bring a small radio though, so you can hear the soundtrack - no speakers as Burrard is not an official watching zone.

Its been some years since I have attended the fireworks so I will leave it to you experts. However, it occurs to me that with the mobs of people heading in every direction post fireworks the OP might appreciate a strategy as to where they might pick up a cab after the event.

We'll be in Vancouver for the fireworks on the 29th and we're staying at the Hyatt (Burrard St). The Burrard bridge was previously recommended as a good viewing spot. It looks like it's about 1.5kms from our hotel so not too long of a walk.

Is that our best bet to avoid the craziness of taxis/pedestrians/drunks/rowdiness? I'd just like a nice civilized area with a decent view where we won't have to stake out all day (perhaps that's asking too much though given that half a million people come out for them...).

there are photographers there with thousands of dollars of equipment each show.... it's the safest place to watch the show.

walk to the bridge apex (between the arches).... many crowds form at the ends of the bridge, but the apex has the thinest crowds. I've shown up some years at 9:45pm with front row access to the railings.

Wow thanks so much to everyone for your kind responses! Urban trekker, we will be staying at The Holiday Inn at 1110 Howe. Not sure if that is walkable... Looks a little far but hard to tell from the little map. Also, tickets for the lounge just say General admission so I am guessing it is a bit of a free for all. It makes me a bit anxious that there is no street address anywhere on the actual ticket or email. Good to know there will be lots of helpful volunteers to direct folks! Thanks again for all the great responses!!

Your hotel is 2 blocks further from the fireworks than I am - probably not able to give an address because except for one caretakers house there aren't any addresses on that side of the street - the fireworks society that puts on the show has lots of volunteers directing people etc - the Vancouver Volunteer Corp of which I am a member will also be providing volunteer assistance - we are in blue and yellow vests/jackets - there will be Park Rangers and Fire department personnel also on hand.

If walking and that is the best option - out the hotel turn left and walk half block to Davie street - turn right and walk all the way down Davie to the beach area - depending on the time of the evening you are walking you may have the entire roadway to yourself - when you hit Denman and the beach its a left turn and look either for a volunteer or a Clearly sign - there is likely to be a Grandstand but the seating will be unreserved.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

Wow thanks so much to everyone for your kind responses! Urban trekker, we will be staying at The Holiday Inn at 1110 Howe. Not sure if that is walkable... Looks a little far but hard to tell from the little map. Also, tickets for the lounge just say General admission so I am guessing it is a bit of a free for all. It makes me a bit anxious that there is no street address anywhere on the actual ticket or email. Good to know there will be lots of helpful volunteers to direct folks! Thanks again for all the great responses!!
That hotel is a great location....

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the official scoop on where the Clearly area will be and XLXO is basically correct.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Beach+Ave+%26+Bidwell+St,+Vancouver,+BC+V6E,+Canada/@49.2845785,-123.1427712,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x5486722eff9564cd:0x88278d21d7a5e3eb

In this google map the area between the red marker and the Inukshuk and between the two lines which are actually the main sidewalk and the lower sea walk is the area shown on our volunteer map at our training session tonight.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

Hope you enjoyed the fireworks show Saturday night - that new Clearly viewing area may be the best of the three there - I walked by it on several of our volunteer patrols along the seawall.

Cheers!

Dennis

What a fantastic time we had! Your directions were spot on! Agreed the area was fantastic, the show was amazing. We are so loving our time in Vancouver! Thanks to all who contribute to this board! Today we will brave the rain And even enjoy- a novelty for us in Los Angeles!

Yes a little more rain today - it should be off and on for most of the day - it is well needed - only our 8th day with any precipitation since the beginning of May It is easing up and starting to brighten up as well so perhaps you will still be able to enjoy some of our outdoor attractions.

Cheers!

Dennis