Getting from ship to taxi in Cozumel

IAMACRUZAHOLIC

Unfortunately my cancer is getting worse and I'm not going to be able to get from the carnival triumph to a taxi on my own in Cozumel. Does anyone know if there are people with wheelchairs or shuttles available directly by the ship? I'm going to rent a scooter for the ship but I'm assuming there isn't a taxi that can take me and the scooter to Nachi Cocom. Only getting off the ship once and I would like it to go smoothly. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't cruise on any Carnival Ship so can't answer question regarding shuttle or wheelchair assistance .

Cozumel only has 2 accessible taxis on the island so there might be a long wait if your need one. If you can transfer to the seat of a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter .

I also use a scooter and going to Cozumel next week. 2 of us with scooters are planning to go to Paradise beach. I have heard that there are taxis that will accomodate a scooter. In our case we may need 2 taxis. I'll try to remember to post a report as to how we managed that feat. We decided on Paradise or mr Sanchos because they do not require reservations. If its not possible then we lose nothing and wander around the port for a while. I will return home on Feb 4th so I'll try to post something shortly after that. You do know that your scooter disasembles quite easily to go in the trunk of a taxi.

I forgot to say that there are also locals there with a rickshaw type of bicycle that will pedal you from the ship to the middle of the pier where the shopping building is. BUT they go no farther than that. It is still a long walk thru the shopping building and more pier after that before you get to the plaza of shops. And then you have to still walk to the taxi stand. Its not doable if you are having issues. Please dont go that route it will be brutal for you. I am thouroughly convinced you can do it on the scooter.

Not all scooters DO disassemble easily, and some that claim they do still require a fair amount of stamina and flexibility. OP, when you know what kind of scooter you will be renting, you might want to check YouTube for videos on disassembling that model and decide whether you could do it. I specifically bought a folding scooter because I knew those "easily disassembles into 5 pieces under 60 lbs each" weren't going to work for me. My whole scooter weighs 53 lb!

Sent from my SM-G550T2 using Forums mobile app

Edited by mamasylvia

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all of the information! My husband said to think positive....so I hope we are able to pay for a van taxi to carry the scooter[emoji846]

Hi Cruzaholic

I was just wondering...are you going by yourself, or with your husband?

If you had a regular folding push wheelchair, you wouldn't have any trouble getting around, if there was someone to push.

My wife can walk a little but whenever we travel I push her in the chair. It folds up easily in the back of a taxi. One other problem with scooters is that they can't climb or come down from a curb if a ramp isn't built in, the same with buildings.

The scooter is great on the ship, but if you can also have a push chair it might be much more useful off the ship.

hope this helps

Sometimes we take both the scooter and the folding wheelchair.....just for that reason. If you rent. Borrow, or buy a folding wheelchair, try and get one with big wheels. Those transport chairs with the little wheels are hard to push on carpet and uneven pavement and are very uncomfortable to ride in over cobblestones, etc. Also, wherever you are parked, you can't move yourself even an inch. Big wheels you can move, even just a little if you have to. (I got parked in a rack of men's wool pants, in a department store, while hubby was shopping. I almost expired from the heat....don't let anyone tell you that wool pants aren't warm!)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately my cancer is getting worse and I'm not going to be able to get from the carnival triumph to a taxi on my own in Cozumel. Does anyone know if there are people with wheelchairs or shuttles available directly by the ship? I'm going to rent a scooter for the ship but I'm assuming there isn't a taxi that can take me and the scooter to Nachi Cocom. Only getting off the ship once and I would like it to go smoothly. Thanks for your help!

We just returned Saturday with a stop in Cozumel. We both rode our scooters off the ship and along that LOOOONG pier then thru the little plaza to the taxi stop. They were so accomodating to us and polite. They have a van that held both of our scooters. We did have a 15 minute wait for the van to return from a trip in Cozumel. A lift came out of the back and we rode it right up and into the van. The cost of the van for 4 of us and 2 scooters was $30 one way to Paradise Beach. He returned and was waiting at precisely the time we told him we wanted to return. Paradise Beach has a pool with pretty easy entry. there were a few steps but also a handrail to help guide us in. It was one of our best days. We also got both scooters on a trolley ride in Key West. no extra charge for scooters.

I didn't notice the charge for service to Nachi Cocum but you will have absolutely no problem.

• 3 weeks later...

IAMACRUZAHOLIC,

You can rent a Travelscoot and/or a SmartScoot from Scoot Anywhere. they will ship it to your home and you can ride it to the plane and off the plane when you arrive. And then take it to the ship. Both of those scooters break down quite small I think both are under 50 lbs. Personally I think it's better to have your scooter before you embark. That way you are not at the mercy waiting for whomever is going to take you to your stateroom.

I love Cozumel and Nachi CoCom. The food is very good, the pool is crystal clear and you are literally 10 feet from pool to the beach. Have a great trip and let us know of your adventure!