Suggestions for Belize and Roatan Bay, Honduras

Texas3475

Hello! I'll be cruising to Belize and Roatan Bay for the first time this summer. I love the beach and want to find a beach to go to at both of these ports. I have read that Mahogany beach is within walking distance from the port in Roatan and it is cheap and therefore an excursion isn't necessary. Is this true?

What are suggestions for Belize? I want to find a nice beach to go to but I'm not really impressed with the options on Carnival. Are there other options? Thank you!

What date are you sailing?

I've sailed this route before and loved it! On our stop in Roatan we did a nearby (by boat) private beach. We snorkeled and loved the experience on the beach!

Belize was also very cool. Did the cave tubing and zip lining. Try it and you won't regret it!

Mohagany Beach is right next to the dock and the port is very protected from outside taxis and vendors. My husband and I wanted something different in Roatan so we booked a tour visiting the Blue Harbor Arboretum. The gardens were beautiful and we learned about healing plants and fruit. This was a half day exploration and they picked us up just outside the port area and brought us back in time to visit the beach. When we went a few years ago, Belize was recommended to stick to an organized tour because of tourist attacks & theft. The best snorkeling experience I've ever had was a Carnival boat tour that took us to a private island the size of a football field and we snorkeled, kayaked, and swam in beautiful clear waters. Good luck with your decision but do your homework.

Hello! I'll be cruising to Belize and Roatan Bay for the first time this summer. I love the beach and want to find a beach to go to at both of these ports. I have read that Mahogany beach is within walking distance from the port in Roatan and it is cheap and therefore an excursion isn't necessary. Is this true?

What are suggestions for Belize? I want to find a nice beach to go to but I'm not really impressed with the options on Carnival. Are there other options? Thank you!

Belize beaches are ALL out on the barrier islands. Thousands of islands but most are uninhabited. Your best bet is to do an excursion that takes you to one of them.

In Roatan we booked a private tour through Daniel Johnson Monkey and Sloth Sanctuary. The three of us had our own driver/guide in a private car, and he took us all around the island showing us various sites. Then we went to the monkey/sloth sanctuary. It's small, but has quite a few parrots to see [and go in the cage with if you want], as well as other animals like abouti.

The highlight of the sanctuary was that we got to enter the enclosure with several adolescent capuchin monkeys, and they climbed all over us and checked out our pockets and hair and everything [one curious fellow even stuck a paw down my daughter's shirt!]. We also were able to hold a sloth, and let me tell you, that is just the cuddliest hug ever!

After our time there, our driver took us around again, and asked if we wanted to stop for lunch anywhere, or spend some time at a beach. He was so accomodating, and wanted to make sure we had a good time. We didn't want lunch or a beach, but still we were with him easily 4 hours, and the cost was only $30 per person.

You can find Daniel Johnson's website online, and he also has a Facebook page.

In Roatan we booked a private tour through Daniel Johnson Monkey and Sloth Sanctuary. The three of us had our own driver/guide in a private car, and he took us all around the island showing us various sites. Then we went to the monkey/sloth sanctuary. It's small, but has quite a few parrots to see [and go in the cage with if you want], as well as other animals like abouti.

The highlight of the sanctuary was that we got to enter the enclosure with several adolescent capuchin monkeys, and they climbed all over us and checked out our pockets and hair and everything [one curious fellow even stuck a paw down my daughter's shirt!]. We also were able to hold a sloth, and let me tell you, that is just the cuddliest hug ever!

After our time there, our driver took us around again, and asked if we wanted to stop for lunch anywhere, or spend some time at a beach. He was so accomodating, and wanted to make sure we had a good time. We didn't want lunch or a beach, but still we were with him easily 4 hours, and the cost was only $30 per person.

You can find Daniel Johnson's website online, and he also has a Facebook page.

we also did this and it was the highlight of our cruise last month, we are going back in may to visit them again, the monkeys are so cute and they will climb all over you but they dont hurt. One even stole my hair comb! i have the best picture of him sitting on my shoulder with my comb in his hands looking like - i stole it but now what do i do with it.