8 hours on Tortola, enough time for Baths?

E46M3

We'll be there in Oct via NCL Getaway from 7am to 3pm. We're planning to go to the Baths on our own by taking the Speedy's ferry. It departs 7:45am, and the only return time that would work is 12:40pm in order to make our 3pm ship departure. Is this too tight of a schedule?

Also do the ferries ever run full and can't take more passengers? I'm worried that the 12:40pm return ferry might get full and we're left behind.

Thanks!

The Getaway is there on Wed and the return ferry (Speedy's) is at 12:40 as you said. However Smith's has a 2:15 return that will give you an additional 2 hours on VG. It costa $40pp round trip vs the $30 using one ferry, but that extra 2 hours is like gold. So we would go on our own and take advantage of that.

One note - http://www.cruisett.com has the Getaway scheduled from 8 - 4 so not sure if you're there to make the 7:45 ferry? But if so the 2:15 return (arrive RT 2:45) works well for you. Again, no worries on the return ferries because they add ferries as needed. But try to make the 7:15 early. If you're not there in time the next ferry is Speedy's 9 am ferry which still gives you 4.5 on VG.

Enjoy your day!😀

You could also consider doing a cruise to The Baths offered by your ship.

Might be better timing and less stressful for you. :)

LuLu

I did consider this option, but the cost is more than double.:(

The Getaway is there on Wed and the return ferry (Speedy's) is at 12:40 as you said. However Smith's has a 2:15 return that will give you an additional 2 hours on VG. It costa $40pp round trip vs the $30 using one ferry, but that extra 2 hours is like gold. So we would go on our own and take advantage of that.

One note - http://www.cruisett.com has the Getaway scheduled from 8 - 4 so not sure if you're there to make the 7:45 ferry? But if so the 2:15 return (arrive RT 2:45) works well for you. Again, no worries on the return ferries because they add ferries as needed. But try to make the 7:15 early. If you're not there in time the next ferry is Speedy's 9 am ferry which still gives you 4.5 on VG.

Enjoy your day!😀

NCL itinerary is 7am-3pm. So I'd think that's more accurate than cruisett? That said, speedy's 7:45am departure should be perfect. But 2:45 return via Smith's is probably too stressful?

BTW, how far is the ferry terminal from cruise ship terminal in Tortola? Is it walking distance? Thanks!

Yes the ferry is a short walk. Is your start time for the ship excursion still listed at 8:10? I was going to take the ferry to beat the crowd, but I've heard from Getaway passengers since the port time change that they moved the start time up. I may just take the ship excursion.

I also e-mailed Speedy's to see how tough it would be to get a spot on the 7:45, but haven't heard back yet.

You'll love the Baths.

Yes the ferry is a short walk. Is your start time for the ship excursion still listed at 8:10? I was going to take the ferry to beat the crowd, but I've heard from Getaway passengers since the port time change that they moved the start time up. I may just take the ship excursion.

I also e-mailed Speedy's to see how tough it would be to get a spot on the 7:45, but haven't heard back yet.

You'll love the Baths.

I'm actually going there on my own. NCL excursion is more than double that price.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I'm actually going there on my own. NCL excursion is more than double that price.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yes they raised the price on NCL again. That's why I was asking about the start times listed for that excursion on your cruise. The timing of the ship excursion may be better for us & we have OBC to use.

I was also hoping to hear from Speedy's that the fleet on hand for the 7:45 hasn't been overwhelmed by the mega ships.

No matter how we get there, the Baths are amazing.

We'll be there in Oct via NCL Getaway from 7am to 3pm. We're planning to go to the Baths on our own by taking the Speedy's ferry. It departs 7:45am, and the only return time that would work is 12:40pm in order to make our 3pm ship departure. Is this too tight of a schedule?

Also do the ferries ever run full and can't take more passengers? I'm worried that the 12:40pm return ferry might get full and we're left behind.

Thanks!

We are planning the same trip. I emailed Speedy too, but have not heard back. Im assuming it would all be fine, however the 12:40 only ferry back does worry me. I worry if we miss that one then the next is too close to departure time. I may try to call them this week. See you on the ship.. 5 weeks left!!!

Kerri

We are planning the same trip. I emailed Speedy too, but have not heard back. Im assuming it would all be fine, however the 12:40 only ferry back does worry me. I worry if we miss that one then the next is too close to departure time. I may try to call them this week. See you on the ship.. 5 weeks left!!!

Kerri

I emailed them as well, they don't like to answer their emails seems like. But I'm guessing they are used to getting ship crowds and can add more ferries if needed, at least that's what I've heard from other people here.

We're probably not on the same cruise as you. We're be on it in 4 weeks! :) So we might cross paths when we come off it.:mad:

I emailed them as well, they don't like to answer their emails seems like. But I'm guessing they are used to getting ship crowds and can add more ferries if needed, at least that's what I've heard from other people here.

We're probably not on the same cruise as you. We're be on it in 4 weeks! :) So we might cross paths when we come off it.:mad:

Kerri

Hi, I would appreciate an update once you've had your trip. We have the same amount of time on Tortola and would really like to do The Baths but am too concerned about not having enough time and the timing of ferry schedules give our departure time of 3:00.

We are on the Getaway Oct 10th. I may just book with NCL to be safe, but I will give it more time.

Hi, I would appreciate an update once you've had your trip. We have the same amount of time on Tortola and would really like to do The Baths but am too concerned about not having enough time and the timing of ferry schedules give our departure time of 3:00.

We are on the Getaway Oct 10th. I may just book with NCL to be safe, but I will give it more time.

I'm pretty sure we'll do the Baths on our own as we'll save about $120 since we have a 3.5 year old and she's free if we do this trip on our own. Time wise, you really get the same amount of time whether it's NCL or on your own. I did a quick calculation, 7:45 departure via Speedy's and arrive at 8:15. We should arrive at the trailhead to the Bath's via taxi by 9 at the latest. A leasurely hike down to the Baths should take no more than 30min. So from 9:30-11:30, you can explore Bath's. 2 hours is not a lot of time, but my guess is you get roughly the same amount of time with NCL.

Normally you can extend your time on VG by ferrying on your own, but with an early ship departure from Road Town you don't have those alternate ferry options unfortunately...

Taxi to the Baths is quick and the walk down not that long so you'll have time to enjoy.

Normally you can extend your time on VG by ferrying on your own, but with an early ship departure from Road Town you don't have those alternate ferry options unfortunately...

Taxi to the Baths is quick and the walk down not that long so you'll have time to enjoy.

Would you recommend going with NCL or Ferry on your own 7:45/12:40 return?

Thanks for your input

Would you recommend going with NCL or Ferry on your own 7:45/12:40 return?

Thanks for your input

Since there isn't enough time available to take advantage of the benefits a self-excursion offers (the utmost freedom and flexibility and often lower prices) either option is fine. It makes sense to many people to go with the ship excursion (unless their price is much higher). It is an easy self-excursion but you have to monitor the time of course...

So not much help, sorry. We stay in the BVI and are used to traveling between the islands and it is very easy. For someone new to that the ship excursion provides a little more security.

Since there isn't enough time available to take advantage of the benefits a self-excursion offers (the utmost freedom and flexibility and often lower prices) either option is fine. It makes sense to many people to go with the ship excursion (unless their price is much higher). It is an easy self-excursion but you have to monitor the time of course...

So not much help, sorry. We stay in the BVI and are used to traveling between the islands and it is very easy. For someone new to that the ship excursion provides a little more security.

The ship excursion, if the current times are correct, will get you back to Tortola a bit earlier. More time at the spice shop & Pussers:D

I see the ncl option lasts 4.5 hrs so I gather you head over on the 8AM and return on a noon ferry which would get you back at 12:30. That's $72pp versus $38 for the round trip ferry and taxi on your own. Is that really the price for the ship excursion??? If so going on your own is the way to go. Can't remember if there is a small fee for the Baths but still no contest...