Boarding

bobbisailsolo

Hi All!!

2 more weeks and I'm on my way! Everyone has been so helpful in planning this trip. Now, I'm just wondering what the boarding process is like. As a solo traveler, I always find things go smoother if I know what to expect. I Assume my check out time at the hotel is around 11am, and I can leave my luggage there till I'm ready to take it to the terminal. Even with mild weather I it's too far to walk?

Also, i think I recall someone saying (but I can't find it now) they no longer do the free mug with the coffee package. So that means you just use a fresh on cup every time? I can't even find anything on the website a coffee package is even offered!!! Wonder if I be able to sneak my shot of bailey's into my coffee... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There should be no problem with leaving your luggage at the hotel until you are ready to go to the ship. The hotel should lock it away for you. Boarding is simple. Walk up to Reception and present yourself...

We never found the coffee deal to be worthwhile. The times in the day without complimentary coffee were not too great and the deal was expensive. Unless things have changed drastically in recent times!

You might want to check with your hotel about luggage pickup. When we last sailed with Hurtigruten, certain hotels offered pick up of your luggage late morning by Hurtigruten, with delivery to your stateroom which worked well. I don't know if this service is still offered, but you might ask. You had to wait around for the pick up and identify your luggage and show ID. Perhaps someone who has traveled more recently can tell you if this is still available. Have a great trip!

I assume you are sailing out of Bergen? We plan to walk to the ship from our hotel.

Not sure how practical that would be for me walking alone... Looks to be about a 10 minute walk from my hotel. Rather than taking one very large bag, I decided to take one medium and 1 carry on, both on wheels. I think it would be a difficult walk with the two bags...

If your hotel doesn't do the porter service as mentioned by janetcbl, the only other option I guess would be a taxi, you can ask your hotel reception to book one for you (be sure to agree on the price with the driver beforehand, the hotel reception should tell you the price). Most hotels will store your luggage after you have checked out.

In the terminal building you will check in your bag and retrieve your key and travel documents (it is similar to a plane check-in if you will), then you will have a security briefing, in the same terminal, and you can board the ship afterwards. You can board the ship from 4.30 pm if I remember right, and you can enter your cabin at about 6. Your luggage will be delivered at your cabin. There will be an evening buffet for dinner, starting aroud 6.30 I think.

You might want to check with your hotel about luggage pickup. When we last sailed with Hurtigruten, certain hotels offered pick up of your luggage late morning by Hurtigruten, with delivery to your stateroom which worked well. I don't know if this service is still offered, but you might ask. You had to wait around for the pick up and identify your luggage and show ID. Perhaps someone who has traveled more recently can tell you if this is still available. Have a great trip!

Thanks we will check that out!

Not sure how practical that would be for me walking alone... Looks to be about a 10 minute walk from my hotel. Rather than taking one very large bag, I decided to take one medium and 1 carry on, both on wheels. I think it would be a difficult walk with the two bags...

We will have about the same walk but with one medium suitcase and one small backpack. We have walked a lot farther before so it should work.

We walked to the terminal right after we checked out of the hotel. The Hurtigruten staff took our suitcases, and then we walked around Bergen some more, before checking in later and boarding the ship. It was a fairly flat walk and safe. Whether you walk or take a taxi to the ship, the check in process is simple. We had walked to the terminal the night before just to get the "lay of the land". The Lofoten was in port, so we got to go onboard and tour it. The hurtigruten staff were very friendly and helpful.