Can I Make an 11:10 am Flight Out of JAX

Roz

I've never cruised out of Jacksonville, and am considering a cruise on the Fascination Jan. 5-10. My choices for flights home on Saturday, Jan. 10 are 11:10 am or 5 pm. Is 11:10 cutting it too close? On one hand I don't want to have to hang around the airport all day, but on the other hand I don't want to miss my flight :eek: .

Any advice or insights from those that use this port/airport on a regular basis?

Roz

I've never cruised out of Jacksonville, and am considering a cruise on the Fascination Jan. 5-10. My choices for flights home on Saturday, Jan. 10 are 11:10 am or 5 pm. Is 11:10 cutting it too close? On one hand I don't want to have to hang around the airport all day, but on the other hand I don't want to miss my flight :eek: .

Any advice or insights from those that use this port/airport on a regular basis?

Roz

11:10 is cutting it close. Although Jax airport is small, the security line on Saturdays when I have flown on a Saturday were about 30-45mins (sometimes more) to get to the gate. That would mean you would probably want to get there around 10 or so.

You might make it OK, if you use self debarkation, but I wouldn't schedule a flight that early unless it was a no charge changeable ticket.

We have a very nice Zoo about 4 miles from the port, and after that you could go to the Busch brewery. It would take 3 taxi rides to go to them and then to the airport. Each is on the way, using what I call the scenic route. West on Hescksher drive to Zoo, then North on US17 to brewery, then North on I95 to airport.

jw:cool:

JW,

Thanks for the info and insights from a local. That's good to know about the security lines. Seems like that's the bottleneck at all airports these days.

Biggest problem is what to do with the suitcase if I want to get out and do something.

Thanks again.

Roz

JW,

Thanks for the info and insights from a local. That's good to know about the security lines. Seems like that's the bottleneck at all airports these days.

Biggest problem is what to do with the suitcase if I want to get out and do something.

Thanks again.

Roz

Yes, luggage presents a problem. Jaxport doesn't have lockers, and I am not sure about the Zoo or brewery having a place to store it. You may want to check though. Try visitjacksonville.com for more info.

Maybe I should start a luggage storage area near the port. I have seen them in several other ports we have gone to, and used them for post cruise excursions or on our own.

Another thought for the late flight is to go to airport, check baggage and then go out and about. There is is shopping plaza with restaurants and a theater close by the airport.

JW,

Used to be bus stations and airports had storage lockers. After 9/11, that went by the wayside for security reasons. In Anchorage, where the flights leaving to go east of the Mississippi are all redeyes, they allow you to store your luggage at the convention center while you sightsee. You get a ticket just like at a coat check. Great idea.

When I tried to check my luggage early in Tampa and FLL, they wouldn't allow bags to be dropped until 3 hrs. before flight time - ugh! I'll check with JAX to see what their policy is. The reason the airports gave was that they didn't have storage space.

Earlier this year I cruised out of San Diego and had a late flight back home. The cruise line offered a 4 hr. city tour for those with late flights, then they dropped you at the airport. Believe me, it was worth the extra $ not to have to sit at the airport, plus San Diego is a beautiful city. I checked to see if Carnival had something similar in Jacksonville, but no luck. Maybe I should check to see if there's a tour operator who picks up at the cruise terminal.

Your idea for a luggage check/storage has some possibilities, IMO.

Roz

JW,

Used to be bus stations and airports had storage lockers. After 9/11, that went by the wayside for security reasons. In Anchorage, where the flights leaving to go east of the Mississippi are all redeyes, they allow you to store your luggage at the convention center while you sightsee. You get a ticket just like at a coat check. Great idea.

When I tried to check my luggage early in Tampa and FLL, they wouldn't allow bags to be dropped until 3 hrs. before flight time - ugh! I'll check with JAX to see what their policy is. The reason the airports gave was that they didn't have storage space.

Earlier this year I cruised out of San Diego and had a late flight back home. The cruise line offered a 4 hr. city tour for those with late flights, then they dropped you at the airport. Believe me, it was worth the extra $ not to have to sit at the airport, plus San Diego is a beautiful city. I checked to see if Carnival had something similar in Jacksonville, but no luck. Maybe I should check to see if there's a tour operator who picks up at the cruise terminal.

Your idea for a luggage check/storage has some possibilities, IMO.

Roz

I think once we get another ship, and a permanent cruise port, we'll see more pre/post tours offered, and probably a baggage storage area as well.

City is reported in talks with RCCL, but nothing had been announced. And, we can't seem to agree on a place to put a permanent port without making someone unhappy.:(

Check the FL Depatures forum, I just posted some info I found about cruise packages from area hotels.

Archived