Vantage China -August or October?

lhall85917

We have booked the Extraordinary Wonders of China for next August 24 but are considering changing to the October 26 departure. The cost is $600 less per person and they are offering a special on the 2 night extension in Hong Kong so even with booking it we would save $800.

The money saved would be nice; however, not at expense of cold weather. Everything I see mentions that October is great but I'm not sure if that includes late October. My biggest concern is being too cold on the Yangtze River portion of the trip, as I know that southern China to Hong Kong should still be comfortable and if it is a little cool in Beijing we can layer up.

Has anyone done something similar this time of year or have any thoughts?

We did Vantage China, which is one of the best trips ever. Our trip started in mid-September and ended in early October. Absolutely the best time of the year for China. Not sure about October 26, I think the cold weather is more of an issue, but check the climate history.

As for the extra two days in Hong Kong, most of the people on the tour were given that extension free. There were no included tours for those extra two days. We had booked early and didn't get the 2 day extension, but frankly, were ready after 20 days to go home.

It is a great trip and if you get Tan for your PM, you are good to go. He is the best.

We did a land tour of China in October of this year which included a 4 night cruise on the Yangtze. We boarded the river cruise on October 25th. We had some rain the first morning but then the skies cleared and we had beautiful, sunny weather for the remaining days with temperatures warm enough for capris/shorts with light jackets needed in the morning. By the time our whole trip ended in Hong Kong (November 4), Beijing was receiving a snow storm and Hong Kong was 25C. We were constantly told throughout the trip by guides in different cities that October is the best month to travel to China.

We were in China from the 21st of Oct. til the 7th of Nov. The weather was wonderful--a bit of rain one day, otherwise lovely. Towards the end, while we were south, Beijing was getting some snow. We thought it was a spectacular trip with Viking, so can't speak to any other line. It truly is a trip of a lifetime. Pat

We did China with Vantage in mid May. Weather was fine but only had about 4 days where the sun was out. Rest of the time overcast. On the wall we had quite a bit of smog. Have done 5 trips with Vantage and been well pleased. I would go back to China on a heartbeat. One fantastic place. A photographer's dream. Our guide was Kelly Wei and she was outstanding. Not too sure about late October. Could run into cold weather and possible snow.

p.s. Brought back 11 fake Rolexes and passed them out at gifts. Mine still runs but had to watch going thru customs. Willard

We did a land tour in China in August. It was SOOOO hot. I would much rather be a little cold than soaked with sweat in the summer. I think you'll be fine in October. Dress in layers and take waterproof shoes and an umbrella, and you'll be fine.

Macsback

Archived