Varied reviews on Bernards?

KristyM79

I will be sailing on the Freedom in August and was curious about Bernard's tour. I can't find a RCCL shore excursion that is the equivalent. I have, perhaps an irrational, fear of not getting back to the ship on time so I worry about doing a non-cruiseline excursion. Overall, I seem to be finding good feedback on Bernard's with the exception of one person. Is there a worry about getting back to the ship on time with this tour company?

No need to worry at all with Bernards tours. We have taken his tours many, yes many times and also had plenty of time (2 hrs) afterwards to do some shopping. We are booked again with Bernard for the end of May, can't wait.

We have taken the following ship excursions with RCI and all were enjoyable. Now we enjoy our time with Bernards tours.

An Ultimate Island Tour: Explorer Cruise and Island Tour

Sightsee Marigot & Beach Getaway

St. Maarten Island Tour

Thanks! We're looking for some beach time, but not all day. Would like island highlights and after watching footage of the planes at Maho Beach, we would like to do that. We're not big shoppers. I can get perfume, clothes at home. The only thing I would be interested in buying is something local to the island such as art, food/drink.

I would check how many ships are in port the day of your arrival. If there are many ships and therefore many Bernard's tours, you may not get what you pay for and may not get to all the stops you plan. We experienced a long line to check in and pay which delayed our departure. That was our experience last month. We did get back in time without worry, but only had a five hour tour.

Yes, there were a couple of people on a Bernard's tour who only made it back by 10 minutes. The good thing was a taxi was rented for them by Bernard's since the excursion was not going to make it back in time.

Bottom Line: They did get back on time ... but they were extremely worried about cutting it so close.

LuLu

I would check how many ships are in port the day of your arrival. If there are many ships and therefore many Bernard's tours, you may not get what you pay for and may not get to all the stops you plan. We experienced a long line to check in and pay which delayed our departure. That was our experience last month. We did get back in time without worry, but only had a five hour tour.

There were 6 ships in port when you arrived on 4/24/14 which explains why there was a delay checking in with Bernards Tours.

Thanks! We're looking for some beach time, but not all day. Would like island highlights and after watching footage of the planes at Maho Beach, we would like to do that. We're not big shoppers. I can get perfume, clothes at home. The only thing I would be interested in buying is something local to the island such as art, food/drink.

There is a little shop at the port called "The Spice Shack" try their coconut jam, it is amazing!! I used all mine and haven't been able to find or make anything that compares. I will be stocking up when I'm back in 2016.

There were 6 ships in port when you arrived on 4/24/14 which explains why there was a delay checking in with Bernards Tours.

there were 8 ships in port in Dec when we went with Bernards and the tour did not go around the whole island, about 2/3 of the way and then he turned around and headed in the direction we had already been saying the roads were blocked with all the traffic as so many ships were in port. it took us an extra hour and luckily we were back in time. thinking of doing twin island this next time since they start in the area we did not get to see last time.

Here is a list of all ships in port, just find your date and see how many ships will be there when you return.

6-8 ships in port is not the norm for St. Maarten, yes it does happen once in a while and the traffic can be very hectic at those times. As you can see from the schedule below it is rare to have that amount of ships in port.

http://201.220.14.27/sxmonline/VesselScheduleCruise.aspx

@KristyM79 - We just returned from St. Maarten on FOS (5/18-5/25). We used Bernard Tours and must say it was awesome. Our guide, The Mailman, was both informative and funny. He runs a tight ship/bus. We needed to be back before 4:30 and he had us back by 3:10. The Carnival folks had a closer call. Their ship left at 3:30. Nonetheless, every one was back on time. I highly recommend Bernard.

@phabric - Paypal is my payment method of choice. I don't have to give out my CC info to people I don't know. go to http://www.paypal.com and set up an account. You will have to provide your checking account information but I have used it safely for years. It's essentially a financial middleman that keeps you at arms length from the vendor. I paid Bernard a $10 paypal deposit then cash in St. Maarten. It was well worth the $90 (DW and myself). Because the guide (aka The Mailman) was so good I, and others, tipped him when we returned to port. Most tipped him $10, from what I saw. I hope that helps.