Diocletians Palace and the Beach? Split

We will be docking in Split Croatia this coming July from 10-6. I would love to walk around the Palace then head to the beach. Does anyone know if this is doable? thanks

marcy

We did exactly that. From memory it was about a mile of level walking to a beach area. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]DzbACT0KV-M[/YOUTUBE]

Anyone know what beach that is?

Thanks

Marcy

Bacvice is the closest beach. There are a couple more small beaches down the roads as well. They are all within walking distance. However, I am really not impressed with beaches at Split.

Bacvice is the closest beach. There are a couple more small beaches down the roads as well. They are all within walking distance. However, I am really not impressed with beaches at Split.

WHY? Used to Caribbean so real curious... Thanks

WHY? Used to Caribbean so real curious... Thanks

Google "bacvice beach split croatia" and check the photos. It is okay. But if you have been to Hawaii or to Caribbean (as you've mentioned), you won't be impressed.

You definitely have enough time to explore the palace and to spend some time relaxing at the beach. However, don't set your expectation too high.

I'd allow at least two hours to roam through the palace, depending on your level of interest in what's left of the retired tyrant's structure. Many shops and interesting restaurants are salted amongst the rooms of that ancient maze. Much of the interest there, for us, related to the history. There may be a walking tour you can join. And, this happened to us, you may encounter a group of Klappa Singers harmonizing some a capella folk songs (you will wish you had a way to record them). The beach, as has been stated, is a different sort of critter, compared to white-sanded expanses you have delighted in. Regardless, it's water to cool yourself in, in July, and though the sand tends more towards grey than glistening white, and its uneven surface confirms that, no, this water's edge doesn't benefit from the constant tidal surge around the Atlantic or Pacific basin -- hey, it is part of the place worth experiencing for its own sake. (Pardon the soapbox rant about making unrealistic if not quite pompous comparisons/evaluations.)