Just back from Tropicante...almost

Thebox

Reading the positive Tropicante reviews, I reserved 4 loungers in September for our Christmas cruise and immediately received a confirmation from Steve. Since I had reserved so far in advance, I sent a reminder e-mail to Steve the week before the cruise and again received a confirmation. Arrived at Tropicante at 10:15 this past week and were told by Steve that we were not on his reserved list. I then showed him copies of our two reservation confirmations.

While I completely understand overbooking to ensure that Tropicante is fully utilized, I was disappointed in Steve's customer service. He told us this was "only the second time this has ever happened", and suggested we go next door (small bar/restaurant with about 5 loungers.) When I told Steve I was nervous about eating in a restaurant in Mexico where I had read no reviews and asked about Pez Quadro (the only other restaurant I remembered from cc reviews) - he said they were "only average" and that he himself eats at the small establishment next door. Really, Steve? You go next door to eat literally the same menu items you offer yourself? Instead, seeing my hesitation, I would have appreciated a quick call to another better known restaurant to see if they had availability and directed us there.

I know most are more than pleased with Tropicante - just a 'heads up' to arrive earlier than 10:15, not assume two confirmations equals a reservation - and, if you do find yourself in an overbooked situation, don't expect him to recommend a true competitor.

Reading the positive Tropicante reviews, I reserved 4 loungers in September for our Christmas cruise and immediately received a confirmation from Steve. Since I had reserved so far in advance, I sent a reminder e-mail to Steve the week before the cruise and again received a confirmation. Arrived at Tropicante at 10:15 this past week and were told by Steve that we were not on his reserved list. I then showed him copies of our two reservation confirmations.

While I completely understand overbooking to ensure that Tropicante is fully utilized, I was disappointed in Steve's customer service. He told us this was "only the second time this has ever happened", and suggested we go next door (small bar/restaurant with about 5 loungers.) When I told Steve I was nervous about eating in a restaurant in Mexico where I had read no reviews and asked about Pez Quadro (the only other restaurant I remembered from cc reviews) - he said they were "only average" and that he himself eats at the small establishment next door. Really, Steve? You go next door to eat literally the same menu items you offer yourself? Instead, seeing my hesitation, I would have appreciated a quick call to another better known restaurant to see if they had availability and directed us there.

I know most are more than pleased with Tropicante - just a 'heads up' to arrive earlier than 10:15, not assume two confirmations equals a reservation - and, if you do find yourself in an overbooked situation, don't expect him to recommend a true competitor.

Thanks for posting this. Maybe Tropicante has become too popular and we need to look for a new place. :confused:

LuLu

~~~~

Please don't say that!:mad:.... I'm heading there in Feb. also..... Wish me luck.

Wishing you luck! :D

Probably, it was just a busy time and not the normal thing.

While you're there, check around for a Plan B if you have time.

LuLu

i would like to know that too...I emailed STeve about an hour ago, and haven't heard back from him. YET. Of course new year's eve is probably a busy day, but now y'all have me worried! I better come up with a Plan B as well, we are sailing the Norwegian Dawn January 26. We're in Costa Maya Thursday the 29th.

BTW, how do you know what other ships are in port the same day you are?

i would like to know that too...I emailed STeve about an hour ago, and haven't heard back from him. YET. Of course new year's eve is probably a busy day, but now y'all have me worried! I better come up with a Plan B as well, we are sailing the Norwegian Dawn January 26. We're in Costa Maya Thursday the 29th.

BTW, how do you know what other ships are in port the same day you are?

cruisett dot com

We were there last week. This was our second time there in 8 months :D Both times we had reserved loungers way in advance and have not had a problem. There were two ships (maybe three) in port on Christmas day. It did get crowded as the day went on. We got there around 9:00 and had loungers closest to the water. If I am correct Steve will hold your lounger for two hours after the ship docks. After that they are given to someone else. We love it there and hope to make it back again next year.

WOW! :eek: .... 3 ships and 10,000 ppl in Costa Maya Port on Feb. 6, 14,

Carnival Dream leaves earlier so that should help a little for Beachgoers

Yes crazy crowded and since we're in port such a short time Steve's option sounded perfect,

Good to know about the gluten free stuff, my husband is too!! However, he's usually safe with any Mexican food, as long as there are corn tortillas available. The other good news is I used that cruisett.com page, and found out we are the only ship in port on January 31!!

Good to know about the gluten free stuff, my husband is too!! However, he's usually safe with any Mexican food, as long as there are corn tortillas available. The other good news is I used that cruisett.com page, and found out we are the only ship in port on January 31!!

We will be there in May after you. Steve said he would go over the menu with us. About 75% of it is either gluten free or can be made that way.

Please post about what your DH got etc. my DD is the same way, loves corn tortillas.