LIMA for a Week in September

BridgeMates

Going to LIMA with another couple in late September. Staying in the Miraflores area. We've been to Peru before (Machu Picchu) and have seen some of Lima, but want to pretend we've never been there and see and do all we can for a week. Obviously, with a week to spend we don't have to tour all day long and can enjoy the sights at a more leisurely pace. Our friends have never been there so we're responsible to plan this trip.

What would you recommend as "not to miss" and perhaps your favorite restaurants.....

Any help you give me will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sandy

We did a fabulous food tour which was organized by our cruise ship. At first, we went to the Minka market in Callao. Great vegetable, meat, fruit, fish market, very clean and organized. Well worth the guided tour. Bring some tissues and plastic forks for tasting.

Then the guide (her name was Julia) took us to a restaurant in Miraflores for a cooking demonstration, loved it. Afterwards we were served the food which was obviously prepared in the restaurant kitchen.

Then we went to a wine bar in a different district. Could have done without that part. Their white wine tasted like vinegar.

I am sure that you can find a good food tour online. Peru has such a great variety of food products and a creative cuisine.

We are also traveling to Miraflores in Oct. What hotel do you stay in while in Miraflores, Lima. Thanks, Jan:)

Hi Jan, last time we stayed at the Radisson in Miraflores. Not elegant but rooms, beds, etc. were all fine (and I'm picky about beds and cleanliness). More of a business hotel. Nice included breakfast. We even ate in their restaurant a couple of nights and it was very nice. We walked over to the Marriott area during the day, but always used a cab at night.

Our friends want to stay at the Marriott so we're splurging this time. It is right across from the ocean. I think all the rooms are sea view. Cost is probably more than double that of the Radisson but it is a beautiful hotel in a great location.

Appreciate the information one poster provided about the food tours. Have one booked now (Lima Gourmet Co.) which has terrific ratings on Trip Advisor. Never done this before and it sounds like fun.

If others can give me the name of good agencies for a few other tours, we'll be set. Even tho we've been there before, there's so much we haven't seen yet.

Want to do a good city tour if anyone has any recommendations.

Then the guide (her name was Julia) took us to a restaurant in Miraflores for a cooking demonstration, loved it. Afterwards we were served the food which was obviously prepared in the restaurant kitchen.

Then we went to a wine bar in a different district. Could have done without that part. Their white wine tasted like vinegar.

I am sure that you can find a good food tour online. Peru has such a great variety of food products and a creative cuisine.

Thanks. Appreciate your comments. I've read where Peruvian wine isn't too good and to stick with Chilean or Argentine.

If you remember what agency did your cooking demo in the restaurant kitchen (Julia), I'd like to get in touch with her.

Sorry I don't know the agency because it was an excursion provided by the ship. We also did a tour of the city on the first day, but the guide was not memorable.

On a different Peru trip, we used Escaped to Latin America. (arrangements via e-mail) They contract with Condor Travel and their guides were all excellent. They arranged for one group tour, several tours just for the two of us and one for 4 people. All of it was in the Highlands, but they wanted to arrange Lima tours for us as well.

We declined because traffic in Lima is horrendous. We were not ready for that just a few months after our first time in Lima. I would definitely use them again including arranging for the pick up from the airport. It seems that airport taxis are not always safe.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have visited Lima before, you probably have already toured the main downtown area, but I think it would be worth another visit. During our 1.5 day port call in early 2013, the tours we took did not give us nearly enough time in and around the Plaza Mayor (=Plaza de Armas), with the impressive and historic surrounding buildings. These include the Presidential Palace, City Hall, Archbishop's Palace, and Lima Cathedral (including Pizarro's tomb).

Nearby are the San Francisco Monastery and the Larco Herrera Museum, both well worth visiting. Regarding the latter, we were warned not to take cameras, which supposedly would not be allowed into the building. In fact, cameras and photography were allowed, but no flash photos. The SF Monastery did not allow photography, though it was acceptable to carry (but not use) a camera.

John

Edited by J-D

I stayed at the Hilton in Milaflores- great location and the usual Hilton standards in room.

Try any of the Tanta restaurants- including the one in Laromar mall.

I took a private tour by Haku tours to Barranco - bohemian type architecture, bridge of sighs,good pubs and restaurants,

If you are taking the San Francisco monastery tour, make sure you check the times- some tours are spanish , some English and you cannot do a self guided tour.

Appreciate your suggestions everyone.

We are refining our itinerary every day. Have a couple of tours lined up but still welcome any ideas you might have.

Trying to make a list of good (very good) restaurants if anyone can contribute along that line. I think I know the Tanta restaurant in the Larcomar mall. Years ago we had lunch at the Rosa Nautica (on the pier below the mall) and it was wonderful. Now Trip Advisor reviews are all mixed......anyone been there recently? The setting is so pretty but I hate to pay big bucks if the food isn't so great.

The couple we're traveling with hasn't been to Peru so it's kind of up to us to do the planning.

Again, thanks for your help.

Hi,

I'm Peruvian and just recently went back to Peru after 20 something years taking my teenaged daughter with me. The restaurants we liked the best were embarcadero 41 http://www.embarcadero41.com/pe/inicio-2/ and La Bistecca Pasta Grill http://www.labisteccalima.com (buffet style restaurant but the quality of the food is really good). We also took the Mirabus tour around downtown Lima and we loved it.

Hope this helps =)