Drink package NOT worth iT? MSC MED LIRICA

andreak2015

MSC LIRICA MEDITERRANEAN 7 NIGHTS - port intensive cruise

Is a voucher cocktail package worth it? 10 FOR 100 OR 12 FOR 144 us dollars.

I am going on a cruise with my mother and she drinks very little and the all inclusive are nt close to being worth it. I like to have several cocktails on my cruises :) When I was trying to find cocktail menus, I found a cocktail menu in 2012 on a different boat/different msc itinerary for 6.50 euro for a gin and tonic at the pool bar.

My question is, are the drinks typically more expensive at different times a day and at different bar locations? It does not add up to buy the cocktail package of 10 vouchers for 100$ us dollars at 6.50euro per drink

thank you !

MSC LIRICA MEDITERRANEAN 7 NIGHTS - port intensive cruise

Is a voucher cocktail package worth it? 10 FOR 100 OR 12 FOR 144 us dollars.

I am going on a cruise with my mother and she drinks very little and the all inclusive are nt close to being worth it. I like to have several cocktails on my cruises :) When I was trying to find cocktail menus, I found a cocktail menu in 2012 on a different boat/different msc itinerary for 6.50 euro for a gin and tonic at the pool bar.

My question is, are the drinks typically more expensive at different times a day and at different bar locations? It does not add up to buy the cocktail package of 10 vouchers for 100$ us dollars at 6.50euro per drink

thank you !

Pricing is standard throughout the ship regardless of time of day or location. Some bars may have a different selection but where they have the same drinks they will be the same price. Those old proces you quoted would not include the 15% service charge.

Regardless, the voucher books if booked ahead will likely avoid the 15% service charge. They also work out that it equates to 2 drinks free. So it is worth it if you will use all the vouchers, not if you won't. $ to € conversion rates may increase or reduce the saving slightly.

Are you saying that prices have increased since 2012?

I am reluctant to buy vouchers if I don't know the price of drinks as they stand today

10 dollar drinks is pretty steep... cant imagine them being much more if you buy them on the ship..

Are you saying that prices have increased since 2012?

I am reluctant to buy vouchers if I don't know the price of drinks as they stand today

10 dollar drinks is pretty steep... cant imagine them being much more if you buy them on the ship..

Yes not only have they increased, they introduced a 15% service charge on top of what the bar menu says. So most cocktails are a few cents under €8. No idea what twhe conversion rate applied by your bank will be though.

Alternatively it may be cheaper buying in euros onboard. You'll get 2 drinks free based on the euro price but will have to pay 15% service charge

Edited by AmoMondo

P!S have you looked at the Picture Heavy fun review of the Armonia on the first page of this forum. It has recent bar menus.

I forgot that there is a difference in how we use the word cocktails between US and UK. If you are only wanting a G&T that is not a cocktail to us but a spirit and mixer and cheaper than a cocktail. A cocktail to is is something like a Piña Colada or Mojito.

You used to be able to use the cocktail vouchers for a G&T but you didn't really save using them for that.

Edited by AmoMondo

P!S have you looked at the Picture Heavy fun review of the Armonia on the first page of this forum. It has recent bar menus.

I forgot that there is a difference in how we use the word cocktails between US and UK. If you are only wanting a G&T that is not a cocktail to us but a spirit and mixer and cheaper than a cocktail. A cocktail to is is something like a Piña Colada or Mojito.

You used to be able to use the cocktail vouchers for a G&T but you didn't really save using them for that.

From Wikipedia....

When used to refer to any generic alcoholic mixed drink, cocktail may mean any beverage that contains two or more ingredients if at least one of them contains alcohol.

Usage and related terms

When a cocktail contains only a distilled spirit and a mixer, such as soda or fruit juice, it is a highball; many of the International Bartenders Association Official Cocktails are highballs. When a cocktail contains only a distilled spirit and a liqueur, it is a duo and when it adds a mixer, it is a trio. Additional ingredients may be sugar, honey, milk, cream, and various herbs.

Etymology

The origin of the word cocktail is disputed.

The first recorded use of the word cocktail not referring to a horse is found in The Morning Post and Gazetteer in London, England on March 20, 1798:

Mr. Pitt,

two petit vers of “L’huile de Venus”

Ditto, one of “perfeit amour”

Ditto, “cock-tail” (vulgarly called ginger)

I always view the sickly-sweet variety of cocktails as being designed for one purpose alone: to make women drunk without them noticing the alcohol.

My favourite cocktail, Bloody Mary, is very much old school, as is Gin and Tonic from the days of the British Raj.

Also to mention cocktail of the day comes at a discount to the menu price.

Finally, I should also sing the praises of the cheaper all-inclusive package. While it does not include quite as much as before, it does include an awful lot more than alcoholic and soft drinks that those without the package may find themselves paying extra for: speciality (or should that be 'drinkable') coffees, ice creams, shakes and smoothies, real fruit juices etc.. The whole package should be considered, not just the cost vs. known drinks requirements.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Oh, well that is a good point you bring up. I don't really drink juices or much else other than water, and occasionally tea.

I guess I will hold off on buying the package. Thank you for your thoroughness :)

Are Med prices different than Caribbean? I just got an eighteen drink voucher for $86+ 15% = $99 on the Divina starting tomorrow. That's $5.50 per drink which sounds pretty good to me compared to paying $8.50, or higher, on Royal Caribbean and Princess.