McNab's Island in Halifax

pokerpro5

I am considering going to McNab's Island in Halifax when our cruise stops there (11am arrival, 6:30pm all aboard).

I will have a car in Halifax.

Has anyone done this? Is this a viable plan for a day trip?

The boat out to McNab's island is small (holds like 5 people), but there's only 3 in my group, so that will be fine (plus the ride is short).

I have heard good things about the island -- that it's peaceful, has relatively few people there, and has some nice hiking & views of the city.

My questions:

1) Doable as a 7.5 hour port stop if I have a car?

2) Will a 4-year-old do okay there? I know the bathroom situation there isn't the best (basically outhouses in a few spots).

3) Worth the trouble of going? Or would something else be a better option?

Please don't suggest "kiddie" options elsewhere in Halifax, as that's not what we are looking for. My son loves nature and hiking, so this will be enjoyable for him, provided it's a nice outing.

One of these days I will get there myself but for now I can give you these links and say that it would seem to be doable and interesting.

http://mcnabsisland.ca/getting_here

http://www.mcnabsisland.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g154976-d185573-Reviews-McNab_s_Island-Halifax_Halifax_Region_Nova_Scotia.html

I have been to McNab's a few times but it would be low on my Halifax list of places to go. It is quiet, rocky beaches, hilly and a couple of old buildings. The boat to McNab's is about a 10 minute walk from the cruise port. As a Nova Scotian who also cruised into Halifax, you can see the island on your right as you come to the cruise port. If you decide to go out to the island plan on only about an hour there. There are no services other than pit toilets and no one lives on the island.

Want a great view of Halifax? Go to the Citadel. Kids especially enjoy the Citadel and if you are there at 12:00 the a cannon is fired. Want to see the Harbour? Take the ferry to and from Dartmouth. Enjoy Halifax it is a lovely city for walking from the port. A rental car will take you to Peggy's Cove or the quaint villages of Prospect and Chester. The NS museum of Natural History is on the back side of the Citadel and is a favourite of local kids and near the Public Gardens. ( parking available at museum)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I have done McNab's Island before. There are two "operators" that run a Ferry service to the island. There is not a whole lot on there, there are two forts, Fort Ives and Fort McNab each about an hours walk from each other.

It is a cool place to visit.

Hope this helps.

I have been to McNab's a few times but it would be low on my Halifax list of places to go. It is quiet, rocky beaches, hilly and a couple of old buildings. The boat to McNab's is about a 10 minute walk from the cruise port. As a Nova Scotian who also cruised into Halifax, you can see the island on your right as you come to the cruise port. If you decide to go out to the island plan on only about an hour there. There are no services other than pit toilets and no one lives on the island.

Want a great view of Halifax? Go to the Citadel. Kids especially enjoy the Citadel and if you are there at 12:00 the a cannon is fired. Want to see the Harbour? Take the ferry to and from Dartmouth. Enjoy Halifax it is a lovely city for walking from the port. A rental car will take you to Peggy's Cove or the quaint villages of Prospect and Chester. The NS museum of Natural History is on the back side of the Citadel and is a favourite of local kids and near the Public Gardens. ( parking available at museum)

Your post made me think. I was on the fence about McNab's after reading this, but the weather made my decision easy. It was raining when I picked up my car at the port, so McNab's was out. The rain quickly stopped, and the day stayed cloudy with the occasional shower, but my fate was sealed.

I went to Peggy's Cove and the surrounding towns for the day. Very beautiful.

Thanks.

Your post made me think. I was on the fence about McNab's after reading this, but the weather made my decision easy. It was raining when I picked up my car at the port, so McNab's was out. The rain quickly stopped, and the day stayed cloudy with the occasional shower, but my fate was sealed.

I went to Peggy's Cove and the surrounding towns for the day. Very beautiful.

Thanks.

I hope you had a great time while you were here.

:D