A Coruna to Santiago de Compostela

Wayfairers

We visit A Coruna in April, docked 8a-5p, and would like to see Santiago de Compostela. Any advice on DIY?

In 2013 we took a €1 bus from the port to the station and bought a return ticket to S de C (about €14 pp). I think we got the 10.35 there and the 3.15 back.

Once back at Coruna we took a €10 taxi to the Tower of Hercules (€5 entry fee), leaving 45 minutes for the 2-mile walk back to the ship. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]7-IqpTL-nDc[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]PNSzwenfqas[/YOUTUBE]

• 3 weeks later...
Cornishpastyman1,

Planning a similar day to what you had in the area. Curious if it is difficult to get a taxi at the Tower of Hercules back to the ship? How much time should we allot there?

Thanks!

We knew it was a 2 mile level walk, and that it was impossible to go wrong as you quickly get on a coastal road and can see the ship, so never looked for taxis at the Tower. However as there must be many people wanting one I presume they are available with decent frequency . But I appreciate this is not that much help. In the event the walk to the ship took about 25 minutes and we had left an hour before the all-aboard time so it was very comfortable. You may well get a taxi quite quickly but if you are able to walk you will have no worries if you leave 45 minutes for it.

As for how long at the Tower, I would say half an hour - about 5 minutes to walk up to it (after being dropped off by the taxi from A Coruna station) and buy a ticket, 20/25 minutes going up, photos etc, then down) before heading back to the ship. All the best, Tony

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We just returned from our cruise and had a fantastic time! I wanted to report back on how things went.

We arrived at 8am. Sunrise wasn't until after 9am. We opted to take a taxi to try and make the 8:35am train to Santiago and we made it. I did pay more for the earlier train than I would have for the 9:05, but our time was precious that day and it was worth it to me. While at the A Coruna station, I did go ahead and purchase the return ticket for 2:05pm. (The agent did tell me I would be allowed to change this ticket if I needed to, within 2 hours of departure, but I didn't). We would have liked even more time in Santiago when it was all said and done. What a beautiful city! It was raining part of the time and overcast but we still had the best time. The culture is so interesting, with its mix of Celtic heritage.

Here's some bus information for A Coruna. Bus 3, 3A and 5 stopped near the Cruise Terminal, according to the Map I received at the Tourist Info area (it wasn't opened yet, but someone inside got one for me behind the TI desk).

The info reads:

Line 3/ Tower of Hercules and Promenade

Line 3A/ Return to the Cruise Terminal

Line 5/ Tower of Hercules and Train Station

Santiago's Tourist Office was kind enough to send me maps, brochures & additional information in the mail. I sent my request to info@ santiagoturismo.com (space added for security). The brochures gave good info about what we were seeing/visiting.

We visited the squares and sites around the Cathedral and ended our day at the Abastos Market, which had a Christmas Market that day. Our time there went by so fast!

Upon arrival back in A Coruna, we opted to take a taxi to see the Tower of Hercules and then on to the ship. My husband had a bad cold that day and so we had the driver stop us at the Tower for some pictures and then we made our way to the ship directly from there. We know we could've taken the buses, but this was more convenient in light of the way he was feeling. (There was a bit of traffic that day, the fare from the Train Station to the Tower and then to the Ship was 14.40 Euros). We also passed by the Tower during the Sail Away and it was quite a sight!

We would love to visit this area again! Had such a great time!

Happy Travels!

I used Spain Day Tours. Some people on my cruise used them in all Spain and Portuguese ports. I was tempted to do the train, but since friends were doing the excursion with SDT, I went along.

FYI, Santiago de la Compostela, is inland and the temperatures can be different. We left the ship at about 10C and SdlC was 0C at arrival. Many didn't have enough clothes on (this was late Nov)

Hi,

We just returned from our cruise and had a fantastic time! I wanted to report back on how things went.

We arrived at 8am. Sunrise wasn't until after 9am. We opted to take a taxi to try and make the 8:35am train to Santiago and we made it. I did pay more for the earlier train than I would have for the 9:05, but our time was precious that day and it was worth it to me. While at the A Coruna station, I did go ahead and purchase the return ticket for 2:05pm. (The agent did tell me I would be allowed to change this ticket if I needed to, within 2 hours of departure, but I didn't). We would have liked even more time in Santiago when it was all said and done. What a beautiful city! It was raining part of the time and overcast but we still had the best time. The culture is so interesting, with its mix of Celtic heritage.

Here's some bus information for A Coruna. Bus 3, 3A and 5 stopped near the Cruise Terminal, according to the Map I received at the Tourist Info area (it wasn't opened yet, but someone inside got one for me behind the TI desk).

The info reads:

Line 3/ Tower of Hercules and Promenade

Line 3A/ Return to the Cruise Terminal

Line 5/ Tower of Hercules and Train Station

Santiago's Tourist Office was kind enough to send me maps, brochures & additional information in the mail. I sent my request to info@ santiagoturismo.com (space added for security). The brochures gave good info about what we were seeing/visiting.

We visited the squares and sites around the Cathedral and ended our day at the Abastos Market, which had a Christmas Market that day. Our time there went by so fast!

Upon arrival back in A Coruna, we opted to take a taxi to see the Tower of Hercules and then on to the ship. My husband had a bad cold that day and so we had the driver stop us at the Tower for some pictures and then we made our way to the ship directly from there. We know we could've taken the buses, but this was more convenient in light of the way he was feeling. (There was a bit of traffic that day, the fare from the Train Station to the Tower and then to the Ship was 14.40 Euros). We also passed by the Tower during the Sail Away and it was quite a sight!

We would love to visit this area again! Had such a great time!

Happy Travels!

Thank you for reporting back on what you did. Great information! I think we will do the 2 mile walk back....we will be there in March