NCL Star Accessibility

Eytbol8

NCL Star Accessibility

Hi All. We will be cruising NCL Star 7-day Mexico Riviera in late March. There will be a group of 11 of us. My husband is confined to a wheelchair, paraplegic with no ability to stand or walk. Very independent in his maual wheelchair. We are booked in the Family Suite on the 12th deck (12532 or 12032) and the rest of the family in 2-bedroom suites on the 11th deck. A few questions for any who have been in wheelchairs on the NCL Star. I will make a call to the special needs desk as well but wanted to hear from our experienced friends here first. I have also posted this on the special interest - disabled cruising section, but that area gets a lot less traffic than here ;)!

1) Are there are decks not accessible by elevator and/or wheelchair

2) Are the any areas not accessible for wheelchairs

3) Any feedback on NCL and the Star would be greatly appreciated

4) Any feedback on the suites and or those cabins 12532 or 12032

Thank you so much!

NCL Star Accessibility

Hi All. We will be cruising NCL Star 7-day Mexico Riviera in late March. There will be a group of 11 of us. My husband is confined to a wheelchair, paraplegic with no ability to stand or walk. Very independent in his maual wheelchair. We are booked in the Family Suite on the 12th deck (12532 or 12032) and the rest of the family in 2-bedroom suites on the 11th deck. A few questions for any who have been in wheelchairs on the NCL Star. I will make a call to the special needs desk as well but wanted to hear from our experienced friends here first. I have also posted this on the special interest - disabled cruising section, but that area gets a lot less traffic than here ;)!

Thank you so much!

1.) All decks are accessible by elevators and can be navigated by wheel chair.

2.) The only areas not accessible to wheelchairs would be stairwells and crew areas.

3.) Not sure what you would like to know, how about a specific question regarding NCL or the Star? The Star is a nice mid-sized ship by today's standards.

4.) The suites on NCL Star are very nice. We are booked in one for a cruise in November 2015. The two cabins you mentioned are actually newer suites added a couple of years ago when the deck 12 forward area was converted into suites. They are very nice and close to the pool area.

My daughter was in the suite just to the front of that one on our Star cruise, and though not the particular suite you will be in, there are several pictures of her room and some of my nephew's which was just the flip of hers, and my niece's, which was a little different, in my review, link provided below.

They are great rooms, lots of room and easy access to forward elevators.

Enjoy; I'm jealous!

Edited by planma'am

The only place I noticed that would not be assessable was the bar at the very top.

Have a wonderful cruise!

P.S. We were on the Star last winter. We went on the crocodile river cruise and a very gutsy Australian lady was on the bow in her wheelchair!

The only place I noticed that would not be assessable was the bar at the very top.

Have a wonderful cruise!

P.S. We were on the Star last winter. We went on the crocodile river cruise and a very gutsy Australian lady was on the bow in her wheelchair!

Thank you all so much.

Which Bar is on the top that he won't be able to access?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would call NCL and ask how wide the doors to the suite are; the accessible cabins have 36" wide doors suitable for walkers or wheelchairs, but I think the suites have the narrow doors found on regular cabins.

I'm not at all sure, but it would be worth asking. We had a Penthouse suite on the Jade, and the door was the standard 30" door (or perhaps a bit narrower). On the Star, my mother could not get her walker into a regular cabin through that door, or into a suite on the Star, but had an easy time getting around in her accessible balcony room.

Thank you all so much.

Which Bar is on the top that he won't be able to access?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Star has a cigar bar at the top of a set of what I can only call risers for lounges around a pool. It's kind of an odd configuration ... "stadium seating" for sun worshippers. I don't recall if there's any other way up to there.

I would call NCL and ask how wide the doors to the suite are; the accessible cabins have 36" wide doors suitable for walkers or wheelchairs, but I think the suites have the narrow doors found on regular cabins.

I'm not at all sure, but it would be worth asking. We had a Penthouse suite on the Jade, and the door was the standard 30" door (or perhaps a bit narrower). On the Star, my mother could not get her walker into a regular cabin through that door, or into a suite on the Star, but had an easy time getting around in her accessible balcony room.

The two suite numbers listed by the OP are ADA cabins...

Yes, thank you. We have already confirmed these are offical accessible cabins :)! We know there is no way for him to get into the others.

NCL Star Accessibility

Hi All. We will be cruising NCL Star 7-day Mexico Riviera in late March. We are booked in the Family Suite on the 12th deck (12532 or 12032) ...

Thank you so much!

1) The MDR in the back of the ship (Versailles) doesn't appear to be accessible at first glance, but if you go down another deck, there's an HC entrance to the restaurant.

As others have noted, the Bier Garten bar is up some stairs in the front of the ship, but there are plenty of other bars/food places at the pool level so you won't lack for choices.

4) Star 12532 was the first room I ever cruised in. It was fantastic and you'll enjoy it. If you're at the pool, face the front of the ship and go down the left hallway. 12532 is the first room on the left. We found it to be very quiet even with the pool deck (and all the accompanying music) just feet away.

Unlike the other Family suites, 12532 DOES NOT have a Pullman bed (just the regular bed and fold-out couch) so we had to get a rollaway for our group. But even with that, it was nice and roomy and the service was A-1 fantastic!

1) The MDR in the back of the ship (Versailles) doesn't appear to be accessible at first glance, but if you go down another deck, there's an HC entrance to the restaurant.

As others have noted, the Bier Garten bar is up some stairs in the front of the ship, but there are plenty of other bars/food places at the pool level so you won't lack for choices.

4) Star 12532 was the first room I ever cruised in. It was fantastic and you'll enjoy it. If you're at the pool, face the front of the ship and go down the left hallway. 12532 is the first room on the left. We found it to be very quiet even with the pool deck (and all the accompanying music) just feet away.

Unlike the other Family suites, 12532 DOES NOT have a Pullman bed (just the regular bed and fold-out couch) so we had to get a rollaway for our group. But even with that, it was nice and roomy and the service was A-1 fantastic!

Thank you so much SF. I have read some feedback about hearing the joggers nice and early - like 5am - above that room. Did you have such experience?

Awe, bummer...was looking forward to that one. It's okay though. Thanks.

On one of our cruises, we had a lady who was confined to a WC, and a group of us carried her and her WC up the steps so she could join us. It can be done.

To add to SaveFarris post, only one of the four elevators in front of the Versailles has a down button. That elevator opens into a small lobby to provide access and egress to the restaurant.

Edited by swedish weave

Thank you so much SF. I have read some feedback about hearing the joggers nice and early - like 5am - above that room. Did you have such experience?

If you were listening for it, you could pick it out. But it wasn't overpowering or anything. Of course, we also tended to be early risers so we were typically in Cagney's during peak jog time.

If you were listening for it, you could pick it out. But it wasn't overpowering or anything. Of course, we also tended to be early risers so we were typically in Cagney's during peak jog time.

Thanks! I don't mind during the day and eveing and early night - part of any hotel vacation usually - haha. I was more concerned about 4-5 am as some people had stated. Nothing I am worried about, just curious. If it does happen, that just means I start my day early as well ;)!