San Pedro/Long beach question

lifeonthec

We (family of 7) are sailing on the Star in October 2007 and have air flight into Long Beach Airport from Seattle and we were hoping someone could offer some advice on where to stay and how to get there. We are flying in a day earlyand We were hoping to stay somewhere near the NCL terminal but any and all advice would be so very helpful. Only 28 more short weeks until we go!!

Kevin

In Dec. 2005, my DH and I stayed at Holiday Inn San Pedro, using Prime Time Shuttle from the airport, before our Star cruise. This & shuttle from HI to the pier were part of a stay & cruise pkg which also incl. a bottle of champagne. Of course, that was confiscated by NCL, but we picked it up disembarkation morning in Ginza. As I recall, there were several restaurants in the hotel area which was maybe 1 mile from the port.

Good luck!

I would NOT recommend staying on the Queen Mary! Take a tour if you want to see her, but many on these forums have been very disappointed staying overnight aborad. Many recommend the Coast Hotel if you want to be close to the ship.

We thought it was lovely! Nice, big room with comfortable beds. The only negative was that it was quite a long walk from the entrance to our room. We were there for two nights and had a fabulous time. What did you dislike about it?

Thank you for your responses. I'm debating if we should spend a little more and stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel or try the Holiday inn. I'm sure they both will be ok. Is one shuttle better than another do you think? Are there less shuttles leaving Long Beach Airport than LAX ? I guess we have some time to dicide what to do but your inputs are very much invited in helping me make my decision. Thanks.

Here's a link to some info on the Long Beach Airport.

http://www.longbeach.gov/airport/

Suggestions on where to stay might depend on when you are arriving in Long Beach. If you are arriving early the day before your cruise, I would suggest staying in Long Beach rather than San Pedro. A few more things to do in Long Beach than San Pedro. Long Beach has a great Aquarium to visit. If you don't plan on doing much the day you arrive, San Pedro would work and you would be close to the pier.

In 2005, my sister and I flew into Long Beach from Seattle. We arrived early in the day and rented a car. We stayed at the Coast Long Beach which at the time had free parking. We then were able to do a little sightseeing that day and then just parked the car overnight at the hotel. We then returned the car to the airport the morning of the cruise(which was also the NCL Star). We then took a taxi to the pier. Taxi's charge a flat fee of $36 to San Pedro. I do recall seeing several shuttles sitting at the terminal when we arrived. Keep in mind that Long Beach is a small airport.

I would recommend staying in downtown Long Beach. Long Beach and San Pedro are neighbors ...

LAharborarea.jpg

If you want to stay at the Crown Plaza, then this photo might be of interest to you ...

SanPedrowithhotel.jpg

I sailed out of San Pedro in December and stayed in Long Beach at the Marriott Courtyard (about $110 Sr. rate) nice hotel, great restaurant, Aquarium, pier nearby. It's a 20 minute cab ride to the San Pedro pier about $25 or so.

I will be sailing out of San Pedro again this May and again I will fly into Long Beach and stay at the Marriott Courtyard for two days. If you want to do some sightseeing stay in Long Beach if you are flying in and staying one night stay in San Pedro.

Long Beach's airport is nice and small and easy to get in and out of. There are taxis right there for a set price to take you to Long Beach hotels. Hotels in Long Beach will have taxis available or will get you a van if needed to take you to the port in San Pedro.

I have stayed at the Crown Plaza San Pedro - We arrived the afternoon prior to our cruise. We went down to the waterfront - 2 short blocks and had dinner and watched the ships sailing out. The hotel has a shuttle that will take you to the pier, or to any closeby restaurants and shopping. It was only about a 5 minutes drive on the hotel shuttle the next morning over to the ship.

We thought it was lovely! Nice, big room with comfortable beds. The only negative was that it was quite a long walk from the entrance to our room. We were there for two nights and had a fabulous time. What did you dislike about it?

We completely agree with you!!! We also stayed two nights and did the "Dining With The Spirits" dinner and paranormal tour on Saturday night (FUN! FUN! FUN!). Lots to do, lots to see! The Russian sub was great as well! Stay in Long Beach! We also felt it was a very reasonable price, although we did get a better rate because we booked the tour.

Don't stay at the Double Tree in SP, I spent a week there one night.
If I recall, tmcca is the one who got a room overlooking the trash cans. It was probably the only room that overlooks the trash cans. :D

The Doubletree in San Pedro is simply gorgeous!! And it's about the same price as the Crowne Plaza and in a MUCH better location (see the fourth photo below). The hotel has been refurbished, and the rooms are lovely. If you stay here, be sure to request a marina view room.

The hotel sits at the end of the channel that the ships enter and exit, so you can see your ship if you're up early enough or catch others on their way out the night before. The hotel's shuttle van will take you into town if you'd like, and it will take you to and from the ship. We had to reserve a spot on the van to the pier the night before because there were so many people staying at the hotel who were cruising the next day.

We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza twice, and we were so happy that we decided to try the Doubletree this time.

IMG_0149.jpg.53a58a93fece16ef7d5f65837ffe5487.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg.7316c11e75c400ffb2032b0bc91d712f.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg.95c336a1109053a10ec2c43939030a57.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg.4eb27d897f2d469dc26855f5f2391ef3.jpg

To cuizer, your photos are great. Can you give me an idea where Ports o' Call are located in relation to the Crowne Plaza? Thanks.

See the 6th Street trolly stop that I labeled? This is at the very north end of Ports o' Call. The picture comes from a day that I took a ship tour. I can park in the Ports o' Call parking lot for free and take the trolly to the dock (and back) for $1.00. Beats the $6 - 8 we get charged for half a day parking near the ships. Just off the bottom edge of the photo is the Acapulco Restaurant. Then the parking lot for the Acapulco restaurant, and then the rest of Ports o' Call.

Archived