Mayan ruins

claven

In Cozumel, we visited the San Gervasio ruins a few years ago. They are off the transverse road. They are small and not all that impressive but if you've never seen any, they would probably be good. You can easily take a taxi there and back. When we were in Costa Maya last month we took the tour through Native Choice and went to Chacchoben ruins. They are 45 minutes each way but are larger than those on Cozumel.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I did the Native Choice tour in Costa Maya to see the ruins and have a Mayan lunch. We really enjoyed the tour. There were only adults on the trip, but I think that it would be fine for youngsters. The drive there is not too long. Most people snoozed in the van on the way back. We had time to be dropped off at the Tropicante Hotel for some drinks and a quick dip in the ocean.

I would recommend the Costa Maya tour over a tour to San Gervasio in Cozumel. That being said, we have rented a VW beetle for the day to drive around Cozumel and we stopped at San Gervasio for about an hour, and we really enjoyed doing the ruins as a small part of the day.