Ruby Princess or Norwegian Star for 89yr old father?

Ketacowan

Hello,

My father who is 89 and must travel by scooter has asked me to arrange a cruise of the Mexican Riviera. It would be me - 54yrs old, my aunt -80yrs old and my father 89yrs old. I have found comparable itineraries and sail dates on Norwegian and on Princess. Could anyone who has experience on both lines help me decide which line would be preferable for our age groups? (We have cruised once on Celebrity Reflection and loved it!)

Thank you!

Hello,

My father who is 89 and must travel by scooter has asked me to arrange a cruise of the Mexican Riviera. It would be me - 54yrs old, my aunt -80yrs old and my father 89yrs old. I have found comparable itineraries and sail dates on Norwegian and on Princess. Could anyone who has experience on both lines help me decide which line would be preferable for our age groups? (We have cruised once on Celebrity Reflection and loved it!)

Thank you!

Things to consider regardless of the cruise line :

• Which cruise line/ship has an accessible cabin available for the time period that you father wants to cruise ? The scooter must be stored in the cabin when not in use and CANNOT be stored in the hallway regardless if the cabin attendant states otherwise. Per SOLAS ( safety of life at sea ) regulations the scooters cannot be stored in the hallways as it impedes the safety of ALL passengers in the event of an emergency.
  • Which ship itinerary has no tendered ports or the least number of tendered ports ? Reason being your father will only be permitted onto the tender regardless of the cruise line/ship if the tender has roll-on capabilities. Being that RCCL, NCL as well as Celebrity uses its life boats as tenders that do not have roll-on capabilities nor does the Port Authority for ports in the Mexican Rivera provide tenders with roll-on capabilities your father may be limited to what ports he can get off the ship.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Hello,

Thank you!

For your Aunt and Fathers age I would go with Princess. The ship will have more passengers of their age. We just did this cruise , over half the passengers where over 75 and many scooters/walkers.The only ports on the Mexican Riviera are Cabo San Lucas and Manzanillo .

For your Aunt and Fathers age I would go with Princess. The ship will have more passengers of their age. We just did this cruise , over half the passengers where over 75 and many scooters/walkers.The only ports on the Mexican Riviera are Cabo San Lucas and Manzanillo .

OP refer to post # 2 of this thread as Cabo San Lucas is a tendered port.

Princess does not have tenders that roll-on capabilities. Therefore provided weather and sea conditions are favorable boarding tenders is limited to those passengers that have a folding collapsible wheelchair Being that you're father requires the use of mobility scooter unless the scooter is one the folds (such as a Luggie, Travelscooter, Pride folding scooter to name a few) that weights approximately 50 lbs or less and is able to walk up or down a few steps he will not be allowed to board the tender with his mobility scooter. Important to note that Cabo is a tendered post for all cruise lines. This should not deter you from going on such a cruise but it's important that your father understands that he most likely will not be able to get off in Cabo.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I love ncl but I think I would go with princess on this one! I've traveled with my disabled gran on NCL and she found the ships so busy, it was really really difficult to find space in the lifts sometimes. The star is a smaller ship though so might not be so bad....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have not been on the Ruby Princess, but I have sailed on a number of Princess ships. Given a choice, I would take NCL. I have sailed on the Star and was very pleased. Actually, there are two of us traveling with scooters and the Star was very accommodating.

Depending on where and when you are going anyplace, the elevators can be a nightmare. By the end of the first day, we know which elevators are mobbed and use the other ones. Usually alternate elevators are not that much out of the way and it saves us the hassle.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty