Best Excursions for Cook Islands trip

Wendy The Wanderer

Okay, so this came up in the "Fun" thread currently active, asking about the best excursions on this itinerary. Since I'm also interested in this subject, having never been to the Cooks.

I myself know pretty much what to do in Bora Bora and Moorea, but we've only been to Huahine once. Been there, done the maraes, the eels, the vanilla "plantation", the museum. Want to do water-based this time I think, or perhaps explore Huahine Iti, or both.

There's talk on the roll-call about Marc's two different motu trips, as opposed to the one offered by the ship. And for Aitutaki, roll-callers are talking about Teking, etc. Then there's Rarotonga as well; heard a bit about Tamas and Koka operators. Any recommendations?

And of course, recommendations are always welcome for Bora Bora and Moorea for those who haven't been.

I am a newbie to the PG forums. We are planning to do the Cooks and Society Islands cruise as well. This is the plan so far:

1 day pre-cruise: Le Meridien in Tahiti and my plan is to get to the food trucks that evening since it is a Friday.

Huahine: Haven't made a decision here... It will either be Marc's tour, Cultural Highlights, or Renting a Car

Aitutaki: Lagoon cruise either through PG or Tekking

Rarotonga: Renting a car to drive to Maire Nui Garden, Titikaveka, Muri, and Punanga Nui Market

Bora Bora: Thalasso Beach Day, Vaitaipe, Bloody Mary's, Bora Bora Motu, Helicopter Tour

Taha'a: Nothing like a good ole beach party day.

Moorea: Renting a car to see Belvedere Lookout, Green Pearl Golf Course, Temae Beach, Shopping (Tahiti Aromes, Jus de Fruits)

Catajet tour

Subject to change as I continue to sort through information I find but its a start anyways.

Wendy, here is a short summary. I have more information but it's way to long to write here and the attachments don't allow the size of the files I have. AS I mentioned the other day people can email me and I'll be happy to give my two cents worth.

Summary:

Rarotonga IMO is sort of like Moorea, a good island for a land based excursion.

Ship excursion for "Pa" is solid if you like to hike and take in the views and take pictures. "Pa" knows his stuff.

There lagoon excursions but IMO, no matter if it's a ship excursion or private there are other islands that are superior for snorkeling. Bora Bora, Aitutaki and Tahaa are great places for water excursions.

On Huahine I've done Marc's several times. It's a good tour but the snorkeling is average. One area you drift snorkel but the visibility isn't great. On the other side of the island they have their 'barge' for the shark feeding but I'm not sure if they still do that. Over the last few years Marc hasn't always been on the tour though his man in charge is a good guy.

My top picks for lagoon/water tours would be on Bora Bora and Tahaa. On Bora Bora there are several good options both ship excursions and private. Patrick with Maohi Nui can be booked through ship excursion. For a large group you can book an entire outrigger for a private tour directly from Maohi Nui. Both are similar and though you might pay a bit more to book through the ship the good part is you're not on the hook for a large group that you need to put together, sort of nice to just take care of your own self and not worry about trying to gather a group. There are a few other private vendors which do a good job but Patrick is 'da man' on Bora Bora, if you want the traditional lagoon cruise and in-ground BBQ experience he is the guy.

Another top pick would be on Tahaa though many just like to enjoy Motu Mahana. However, the drift snorkel book through the ship is nice for those that are not considered newbie snorkelers. On some sailings the ship ties off at Raiatea, there you can book the drift snorkel through a private vendor but it's an all day thing, you only spend a few hours at the actual drift snorkel location on the private tour. When you go with the ship the vendor will drop you off directly at Motu Mahana, just as lunch is being served.

Aitutaki has a beautiful lagoon but has suffered over the recent years with coral bleaching. Though there are a few good spots to see good fish and coral it isn't going to be around One Foot Island. I do a lagoon tour on Aitutaki for the beautiful views of the lagoon, not the coral. As far as vendors many go with TeKing ......... He does take you to a few nice areas but many dislike TeKing because of his temperament, he does like being in control. Last time I went with Teking he ended up with about 50 of us which was suppose to be a group of only 12 for a private tour, another words it was sort of like a bait and switch. Most of the boats were not nice nor did they have shade. Only 2 of the boats had ladders to enter the water so TeKing had all the boats lashed together. Do you know how long it takes for 50 people to enter the water from only 2 ladders?

For those that wish just to take in the beautiful lagoon views and enjoy a BBQ a nice swimming area, not to snorkel ........ the ship tour is nice. The boat is larger and has nice shade.

Land based tours are good on Aitutaki. Lots of pretty areas to explore and temple grounds. The views form the highest point on the main island are stunning. Ship Discovery Safari is a good choice or for you that are a bit more adventurous scooters are pretty darn safe on this island but be aware you need to obtain a one day driver permit. You don't get one you may get a ticket.

Hope this summary helps ...

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Good advice about Aitutaki, sad about the coral bleaching. And you're not the first one to comment on Teking's testiness and dictatorial behaviour. For that reason I'll probably give him a pass and do the ship's tour--you mean the "Lagoon Cruise with Beach Break"?. There's also a two-hour snorkel tour to Motu Maina.

Notion, as for Le Meridien on Tahiti, I wouldn't count on getting to the food trucks, unless you don't mind two expensive taxi rides--the hotel is not close to downtown Papeete. Unless there are food trucks that I don't know about, in which case I'd like to hear about them since we'll be staying there post-cruise in October!

I had not thought to rent a car in Rarotonga. Perhaps this is something I should think about.

As for Huahini, anybody done the Iti 4x4? I see there's a brief beach tip on this one, might be enough to satisfy my lust for getting in the water at the beginning of the cruise!

Actually the bus does go by the Le Meridien often. $2 bucks each one way and your at the roulettes along the waterfront. Just ask the desk where you need to be standing for the bus and make sure you tell the driver your wanting to go to the roulettes. Open at 6pm

Correct, "Lagoon Cruise with Beach Break". Fun ride through the lagoon. I've taken them all, been to Aitutaki 6 times, 3 times for 6 days each.

Roulottes ...

Actually the bus does go by the Le Meridien often. $2 bucks each one way and your at the roulettes along the waterfront. Just ask the desk where you need to be standing for the bus and make sure you tell the driver your wanting to go to the roulettes. Open at 6pm

Correct, "Lagoon Cruise with Beach Break". Fun ride through the lagoon. I've taken them all, been to Aitutaki 6 times, 3 times for 6 days each.

Roulottes ...

Yum, roulottes! Good to know about the bus into town, thanks. This would be Le Truck, right? But not for us, alas I think. The roulottes at the dock are only on Friday I think?

Are there any outlying roulottes scattered around? I know there's a supermarket near Le Meridien, but wondering about what else is there (last time we stayed we were only there for one day so didn't bother exploring.)

No more Le Truck on Tahiti for public transportation ....... it's a real bus. We have no problem getting on the bus.

I believe the Roulottes are open every night, at least they've always been open when I get on the ship and the day of the week varies, Wednesday or Saturday so I assume the court is open 7 nights a week.

There are other 'Roulottes' that I've seen scattered toward the Le Meridian, not sure exactly where but there are some around.