Galveston Traffic July 4th

cruisin2604

We will be cruising on the Freedom July 4th, coming in from I-45 through Houston... has anyone ever experienced the traffic trying to get into Galveston on July 4th. This July 4th is also a Saturday so we are a bit worried. Any advise? :confused:

Traffic on I-45 on any day is an issue. Where are you driving from? It usually backs up from Spring into Downtown then you should be good until you hit 45 and Sam Houston Tollway. From there till you pass Bay Area Blvd is most of the time stop and go. Once you get past there it is usually okay. I suspect 4th of July to be just as bad due to Everyone and their dog going down to Galveston. Best thing to do is hit Houston as early as you can.

I live around the 45-Sam Houston Tollway area and have to drive to Galveston where my sister lives a lot. If I go early it is a 30-40 minute drive to the causeway. If I leave after 11 on a weekend it can take 60.

Edited by Tissa

I totally agree that traffic will be pretty awful. It's always bad on a weekend going to Galveston and the 4th will be worse. It's also compounded by the fact that pretty much every freeway in N Houston currently has construction. They do most of the construction work on evenings and weekends. Allow at least an hour extra for driving thru Houston.

An alternative that would eliminate a little stress and traffic is to take the East Belt (Beltway 8 East, Sam Houston Toll Road East) around to south I45. I live NW 1960/290 area and we usually take the Beltway around to go to Galveston. It costs you a toll and you need a Toll Tag because there are no toll booths, but the Texas Tag does work. It only may save a bit of time and you still have to fight the Bay Area Blvd traffic and the Causeway traffic onto the Island, but there's not much traffic at all on the Beltway and it's much less stressful to me. Leave early!!!

First, traffic will not be the horror others posted at the time you will be headed through town. I'll give you two scenarios based on you having a toll tag issued from one of the sources in Texas.

If you have a tag then take the Hardy Toll Road that originates in the Woodlands all the way to Beltway 8. Proceed east on Beltway 8 all the way around to I-45 South and you will have just a couple of miles of traffic around Baybrook mall and the Clear Lake area. By the time you get to NASA Parkway you will be at posted speeds. Holiday traffic will be more congested after noon, but this is your vacation! Be here early.

If you don't have a toll tag go get one. Without the tag take the 610 Loop East around Houston. You will go over the Houston Ship Channel on either route and wind up at I-45 South again, just a few miles closer in town. Stay in the left lane all the way down to Galveston except for the couple of miles around Beltway 8. the two left lanes merge quickly in the heart of construction.

Don't pay attention to Carnivals email and messaging about staggered boarding. Arrive early, make a boarding day a sea day, look around the ship and enjoy.

On the subject of toll tags, the state has a system in place that allows any registered tag to use all the toll roads. Only Harris County charges us a non-refundable $15 fee for the tag.

One other reply above describes using the Beltway toll system through east Houston. Without a toll tag you will receive a citation in the mail, and perhaps a traffic ticket if they catch you. Harris County again is behind the times and does not mail the toll collection notices. There are stretches along that route that are toll only.

Houston isn't the nightmare people claim, some from out of the area have one of two driving experiences where an accident slowed traffic and it's their lasting memory. I drive 40k miles a year all over the city and have minimal problems. My toll bill is monstrous, but the stress level is minimal :)

Wave as you go by. We live off Space Center Blvd.

PS: drive straight to the terminal and unload your passengers and luggage. Then go park your car. I'm amazed at drivers that have their entire families at the parking lots toting luggage aboard the shuttle bus. My wife has never seen a shuttle bus in 29 cruises. She people watches while I go park the car.

Edited by BallFour4

The problem here is the OP never said which direction they are coming from. There are viable ways to avoid much of I45 (until around Texas City anyway) if we know the direction they are coming from.

I'd also avoid the toll roads. there is no need to pay tolls where there are many other free routes to take.