Seeking New Orleans suggestions

I really need some suggestion on how to properly do a day in new orleans. I have never been so im pretty clueless.

1. should i book a parking spot for the day online? I plan to drive there from my hotel in Metaire.

2. What are some must sees and what streetcar should i take to get there?

3. Where does the ferry take you?

Help if you can!!!

Since you have a car, if you have the opportunity to take an extra day before or after the cruise, I would highly recommend driving out to one or more of the plantations in the area. They are incredible. Oak Valley is the prettiest and is a must-see in my opinion. It's where they filmed Interview with a Vampire and I'm sure other movies as well.

If you want to stick to just New Orleans, then obviously the French Quarter is worth visiting. I can't remember anything specific we did there other than walk around, shop, and we got something to eat there. But it is a very pretty area to visit nonetheless less.

We did 2 days. The first in French Quarter / CBD / Garden District and the second at Jean Lafitte preserve and Oak Alley.

We both felt like it was plenty of time to explore.

As for food!

Deannies in Bucktown for dinner, Central Market for lunch, Mothers for... Second lunch [emoji39] and Cafe du Monde for breakfast.... And snacks here and there in between.

We just got back from New Orleans and we used premium parking which we booked ahead of time. We paid $15 for the day and used the lot at 535 Chartres. It was a very convenient location near the French quarter. I would recommend it.

We had young kids so we did City Park and we did a carriage tour of the quarter which was neat. We ate at Crescent City Brewhouse, Dragos, Court of Two Sisters and had beignets at Morning Call. All were excellent!

2. What are some must sees and what streetcar should i take to get there? -- I always recommend people take the St. Charles Avenue streetcar from the Canal Street to the end of the line on Carrollton Avenue and back again. It takes you through some of the prettiest parts of the city and is a great ride. It goes through the Garden District and the University Section, which are some of the most photographed areas of the city (outside of the French Quarter).

3. Where does the ferry take you? -- depending on which one you take, it goes across the River from Canal Street to either Algiers or Gretna. In local terms, it goes from the East Bank to the West Bank. The area of Algiers where the ferry lands used to be home to Mardi Gras World, but that has since moved across the River near the Convention Center. The area where the ferry lands in Gretna is close to the courthouse/government section of the city. There are things to see win both places, but they are really more business/government oriented than touristy.

Following this thread. Will be in New Orleans next month. Cannot decide between a hotel at 555 canal street or 817 common street. Any recommendations from New Orleans natives? We are definitely going to venture down bourbon street and would like to jump on a street car also. Sorry to OP to hijack this thread!

Following this thread. Will be in New Orleans next month. Cannot decide between a hotel at 555 canal street or 817 common street. Any recommendations from New Orleans natives? We are definitely going to venture down bourbon street and would like to jump on a street car also. Sorry to OP to hijack this thread!

As a native I'd pick the Marriott (555 Canal Street) over the Renaissance Pere Marquette (817 Common) any day. It's my own personal opinion, but I think the Canal Street location is better and I would be more comfortable walking back to the Canal Street location in the evening/night.

Either hotel is 2-3 blocks from the St. Charles Avenue Streetcar, but 555 Canal Street is closer to the French Quarter and Riverfront attractions.

As a native I'd pick the Marriott (555 Canal Street) over the Renaissance Pere Marquette (817 Common) any day. It's my own personal opinion, but I think the Canal Street location is better and I would be more comfortable walking back to the Canal Street location in the evening/night.

Either hotel is 2-3 blocks from the St. Charles Avenue Streetcar, but 555 Canal Street is closer to the French Quarter and Riverfront attractions.

Awesome, thank you! That is the kind of info we are looking for! Is there a marriott property that would be an even better choice, closer to Bourbon Street?

Awesome, thank you! That is the kind of info we are looking for! Is there a marriott property that would be an even better choice, closer to Bourbon Street?

I checked the Marriott website, and the Courtyard Downtown/Iberville and the Ritz-Carlton are slightly closer, but neither is really more convenient to other tourist attractions than the Marriott on Canal Street.

This is all my on opinion. I like to stay outside of the French Quarter. It's very nice to have a relatively quiet place to go back and sleep. The French Quarter can be quite intense and I find it sometimes results in a sensory overload. If I were picking a Marriott property, I would actually pick the Courtyard Near the French Quarter at 124 St. Charles Avenue. I have stayed in both the Marriott on Canal and the Courtyard on St. Charles Avenue, but not the Renaissance Pere Marquette.

I checked the Marriott website, and the Courtyard Downtown/Iberville and the Ritz-Carlton are slightly closer, but neither is really more convenient to other tourist attractions than the Marriott on Canal Street.

This is all my on opinion. I like to stay outside of the French Quarter. It's very nice to have a relatively quiet place to go back and sleep. The French Quarter can be quite intense and I find it sometimes results in a sensory overload. If I were picking a Marriott property, I would actually pick the Courtyard Near the French Quarter at 124 St. Charles Avenue. I have stayed in both the Marriott on Canal and the Courtyard on St. Charles Avenue, but not the Renaissance Pere Marquette.

How is the walk back to 124 St Charles?

The French Quarter is the place to be. Just walk around with a drink and take in the history. Do not stay on Bourbon the whole time. Spend some time in Jackson Square looking at the Street Vendors, walk down Royal for Antiques or the French Market for, well, just about everything. Also, my favorite, The oldest bar in the US, Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop for a Hurricane (best in NO, IMO).

Johnny's for Po'Boys

Gumbo Shop for Gumbo

Central Grocery for a Mufuletta

The French Quarter is the place to be. Just walk around with a drink and take in the history. Do not stay on Bourbon the whole time. Spend some time in Jackson Square looking at the Street Vendors, walk down Royal for Antiques or the French Market for, well, just about everything. Also, my favorite, The oldest bar in the US, Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop for a Hurricane (best in NO, IMO).

Johnny's for Po'Boys

Gumbo Shop for Gumbo

Central Grocery for a Mufuletta

Fabulous info! I'm taking notes! Thank you!

• 1 month later...