Viking WW2 tours Breaisach

knoxclone

We took the Viking Getaway cruise in early December 2012 mainly for the Christmas Markets - but I would take this cruise any time of year - it was fabulous!

A little background - DH is an Historian specializing in American Civil War but enjoys ALL history, especially military history - yes, I've suffered through the Imperial War Museum in London and the Musee de l'Armee in Paris!

He was very interested in the WWII optional tour from Breisach, took it and truly enjoyed it. I decided not to take it and walked through town & up to the Cathedral with a friend who was also on the cruise. One advantage being on the cruise, DH wasn't alone going to the battlefield & museum and I didn't have to go. We were there on a Sunday so stores were all closed - would have been more interesting during the week but still an interesting little town.

As for the tour, DH just said he found the small museum very interesting. And, if you're into that part of history, the battlefield tour would also be interesting, however in December it was very muddy. There is a site about it on line - will see later if I still have it saved on my lap top. Don't be alarmed by it being "closed" on certain days, etc. - seems groups (Viking) make arrangements for it to be open - one advantage to traveling with a cruise! Of course that all depends on the minimum number singing-up for that tour!)

Any specific questions - about WWII tour or other ports - just ask away! And have a wonderful time!!!

Thanks much. Yes, My DH (retired mil) is very also interested in european WW 2 sites. We have already done Normandy and much of the Belgium/Neth sites/ cemeteries etc.

If you find that link - that would be great.

Looking forward to the trip - is there anything (in hind site) you wish you would have done/not done?

Here's the link for the WWII Museum:

Memorial Museum of the Colmar Pocket combats

I don't think there's anything I would have changed about the trip. While I would have enjoyed more time in Rudesheim - especially in the daylight - our choice of travel time for the CMs and direction Bas-Ams limited our time there. I really meant it that I'd do this cruise in any season since I'm sure there are +s & -s whenever you go! We really loved the CMs but that also limited what we saw during our free time especially in Cologne & Strasbourg.

If you have time, here's my slide show of our trip:

RhineRiverChristmasMarkets

• 2 weeks later...
Here's the link for the WWII Museum:

Memorial Museum of the Colmar Pocket combats

I don't think there's anything I would have changed about the trip. While I would have enjoyed more time in Rudesheim - especially in the daylight - our choice of travel time for the CMs and direction Bas-Ams limited our time there. I really meant it that I'd do this cruise in any season since I'm sure there are +s & -s whenever you go! We really loved the CMs but that also limited what we saw during our free time especially in Cologne & Strasbourg.

If you have time, here's my slide show of our trip:

RhineRiverChristmasMarkets

Thanks for this link, FotoPeg. I imagine I will do like you and encourage my husband to take the WWII tour while I do something else. I have toured the Normandy beaches with him, and various Civil War sites in the US. Spent a day at the National D-Day Museum in New Orleans. While I find it very interesting, it is an entirely different experience for him. He is seeing things that I don't. There are battles going on in his line of vision that most of us don't see.

I have enjoyed your other postings about your travels. We are doing the Viking Idi on May 23 Amsterdam to Basel. Arriving in Amsterdam the morning of the 21st. We booked and paid for this trip so long ago! Now, it is finally in the near future. Even though everything I read says that everyone in Amsterdam speaks English, we are still going to try to learn some Dutch before we go.

ellenw ~ SO glad you've enjoyed my posts - I just try to tell it like I see it! CC is great - most of the time, that is - for advice, suggestions and recommendations!

Like you, I've been to SO many places with DH through the years! I think we've seen all the CW battlefields east of Mississippi plus a few west of it also! On one OC we docked in Bruges and I cried all through WWI sites and then the following day D-day sites from Cherbourg! Since the Colmar excursion was only in the afternoon I had no problem letting him go alone! I was just happy the required 20 or so passengers signed up so the tour took place! Don't know what day you'll be in Breisach but it looked like a nice little town - on Sunday everything was closed but a friend and I both enjoyed walking to the Cathedral that overlooks the city. There was also another optional tour to the town of Colmar that many said was very good.

We've been to Amsterdam three times - all cruises - and really enjoy the city! I can highly recommend the Ann Frank Haus - although another crying time - re-read the book shortly before we went! The tram system in Ams is great - easy to get all over! And you must take a canal trip! Even though you'll be spending a week on the river, the canal experience is fun - looking up at the buildings and going under the bridges and going out into the river - SO interesting! Also eating at a Rice Table was a fun, delicious time - although more fun the second visit when we had a large group from CC who were meeting for the first time pre-cruise. (Will send a link from my lap top later.) It's like Oriental tapas - many small dishes to share!

We also enjoyed Basel - don't know if you're staying post cruise. Only negative is docking area isn't in the heart of the city like Amsterdam.

And I know what you mean about booking SO early!! But just wait until that packet comes from Viking - then you'll know its real!!! ENJOY!!!!

Peg, I am ashamed to admit this, but I have never read the Diary of Ann Frank. I have made a commitment to read it before we go. We will be buying our tickets for that shortly.

The canal trip was already on our list of things to do. Since we will fly all night and arrive in Amsterdam around 8 or 9 am, thought doing the canal trip would be a good option. Looks like we can just walk up and buy a ticket. Play it by ear.

We are traveling with my sister and her husband. Gary, my brother in law and I are all adventurous eaters. My sister, not so much. But, I'm hoping to talk her into doing a Rice Table. Is it similar to Asian cuisine? I can get her to buy into that.

And, to give you another crying moment. We toured the American cemetery at Normandy. I was absolutely overwhelmed at the sight of all those grave markers. Then, we saw a grave with fresh flowers laid on it. It was a grave of an unknown soldier. I am tearing up now typing this. I choke up every time I tell someone that story.

Pass along any info you have!

Ellen - if you're going read The Diary then be prepared with tissues!!! And if there's any problem getting tickets you can always try the Tourist Center just by the train station - Centraal Station - a major hub of trains and trams! But picking a time and getting them ahead is a big help in cutting down the waiting time - there's a line for "timed tickets" and a regular one - guess which is shorter! We walked up about 5 minutes before our time and were promptly admitted. But I was happy we had walked by the day before - got the modern look out of my head! Through the years the number of visitors have made it necessary to enter via the adjoining building which is way too modern for my taste. But its still very worth a visit - and a cry for all the horror in the world.

On a similar note, there's a fabulous (is that a correct adjetive?) Dutch Resistance Museum - very, very interesting. WebSite:

Verzetsmuseum homepage ENG

But them we've been to Ams for 2 days, and twice for 4 days. It's not easy to choose when time is limited!!!

Rijsttafels or Indonesian Rice Table is very much Asian. I know when I first read about it I couldn't figure it out! But it a meal to share with lots of small dishes. On the site below click on one of the "meal names" - like Purnama - and it gives a list of dishes - all are included put small size and you share. Hope this makes sense!!

Here's the link to Indrapura - the one we ate at twice:

Indrapura RijsttafelsRice tables » Indrapura

I would recommend a reservation - think it can be made on-line. First time we just walked in and were lucky it was just the 2 of us. The following year I arranged dinner for 20 all via the intenet and everything worked fine. It's located in Rembrandtplein a very centrally located area with lots of restaurants and bars/pubs and very accessible to trams.

If you like beef, there are many Argentinian restaurants. We ate in one, again two trips, called Cau:

CAU Amsterdam - Argentinian beef done our way

Just checked to see if the link was still "alive". It is and I think its a "chain" althought only one in Ams - others in England. But still we found it a good place. Its just two blocks from Dam Square and very close to the Red Light District - and you must include a walk through that area!!! (Also, we've always felt very safe in Ams but maybe that's because we're both born & bred in NYC!!!)

You should have no trouble just walking up for a Canal Boat - there are a few companies and places to get them - can't remember which we took but think they're all about the same.

Hope this helps a little - any other qustions just ask away - always happy to help a fellow traveller! What area are you staying in Ams? Are you staying over in Basel??

Great info, Peg. Thanks!

We are staying at the Movenpick. We booked it on our own for less than half the cost of booking through Viking. We will need to get our own transfer from the airport, but that looks very easy and not very expensive.

The Argentinian restaurant should be a winner! We have done a Brazilian type dinner on a cruise, and was fabulous. I know my sister has done others that she really enjoyed. Beef is always her first choice.

We are doing 2 nights in AMS before the cruise, and heading right home from Basel. My brother in law and I still have those pesky jobs that get in the way of travel plans. Actually, it gets in my way more than his. Not sure that he would want to be gone for 2 full weeks.

Less than 2 years to retirement for me. Husband already is, even though he is working part time with a friend doing home repair.

We were just looking at the latest info that Viking sent to us. There is a 15 day Barcelona to Barcelona cruise that is looking very interesting. It is over Christmas and New Years. Maybe in a few years . . . .

Ellen - The Movenpick is great and staff fabulous - stayed there first time in Ams for an OC - Baltic. While it doesn't have the quaint feeling of Ams, it does have an elevator! Check if they also still have the free shuttle to the train station - easy to get from there to anywhere in Ams via tram. If not, the tram stops not far from hotel. The Movenpick is also very close to where the RCs dock!

As for getting into Ams - the train is good IF hauling luggage is not problem! Next we've found the shuttle from the airport very good! Even just walked up and bought the tickets at the airport - maybr we were just lucky! For 4 might be better to book ahead of time.

Home Connexxion HotelShuttle

If you do plan on that the train from the airport and then Movenpick shuttle to the hotle, find out exactly where the shuttle picks you up - almost cost a murder/divorce time we did it!!! Added drama was my checked suitcase was "delayed" - got it in Warnemunde 4, Germany days later!!!

Barcelona is another great city - just too many wonderful places!!!

Have a great cruise!!!!