Falmouth to Sandals Montego Bay Public Transportation

euro_101

My friend and I were looking to spend the day at Sandals Montego Bay in Jamaica. I have contacted a handful of companies for a transfer and the lowet price I have gotten is $80 round trip. Am I missing something? This seems expensive given the location. Esp if our time in port is chopped by an hour (silhouette azipod issue).

I have looked into the public transport options (bus or a shared ride) but it seems like you might have to take a couple of these to get from Falmouth to Montego Bay? Does anyone have any experience with the Falmouth-Montego Bay route and public transportation?

I appreciate any thoughts!

My friend and I were looking to spend the day at Sandals Montego Bay in Jamaica. I have contacted a handful of companies for a transfer and the lowet price I have gotten is $80 round trip. Am I missing something? This seems expensive given the location. Esp if our time in port is chopped by an hour (silhouette azipod issue).

I have looked into the public transport options (bus or a shared ride) but it seems like you might have to take a couple of these to get from Falmouth to Montego Bay? Does anyone have any experience with the Falmouth-Montego Bay route and public transportation?

I appreciate any thoughts!

I don't know why your time in port being "chopped" would affect the cost of transportation......the local provider is still providing the same service regardless of that times the ship is there or what times you want to go. Are you expecting them to give you a price break because the ship changed their schedule??............................

I don't think you're "missing anything"...............Google maps shows Falmouth to Sandals as around 40 minutes. Round trip at 80.00 sounds reasonable. Much as we love Jamaica, I don't think I'd bother with public transportation for a 40 minute trip. 80.00 RT sounds reasonable. It wouldn't be much less if at all for a taxi in the the US or anywhere else for a trip that was 40 minutes each way. Think about it, 40 minutes, what do you expect they'll do that for 20.00?!?!??! That's what you'd pay for a quick taxi ride from an airport to hotel in any major city......if not more.

Edited by bouhunter

I don't know why your time in port being "chopped" would affect the cost of transportation......the local provider is still providing the same service regardless of that times the ship is there or what times you want to go. Are you expecting them to give you a price break because the ship changed their schedule??............................

I don't think you're "missing anything"...............Google maps shows Falmouth to Sandals as around 40 minutes. Round trip at 80.00 sounds reasonable. Much as we love Jamaica, I don't think I'd bother with public transportation for a 40 minute trip. 80.00 RT sounds reasonable. It wouldn't be much less if at all for a taxi in the the US or anywhere else for a trip that was 40 minutes each way. Think about it, 40 minutes, what do you expect they'll do that for 20.00?!?!??! That's what you'd pay for a quick taxi ride from an airport to hotel in any major city......if not more.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I was unsure if the dollar went further in Jamaica.

All I meant was we are still paying $80 even if our time in port is cut...so we are paying $80 for 5 vs 6hrs of time at the resort. We will have to decide if we are ok paying the same for less time essentially.

We hired a private driver out of Montego for the whole day for $80US. He drove the four of us to Negril and back, giving us some time at the beach as well. I think the total trip was about 5 hours. You might find a driver in Falmouth if you go outside the cruise terminal gate and ask around. Some vendors are aggressive, but everyone speaks perfect English. Gasoline was over $5 per gallon at the time.

• 2 months later...

no, we ended up just sleeping in, walking arnd the port shops, and going back on the ship. it was NYE and our 3rd port day, so we wanted to take it easy.

we lost an hr in port due to the azipod issue on the silhouette, and having a 30min plus ride we decided the sandals option was too expensive for even less time. no regrets.