Beach day with kids, Maya Chan?

elliotterae

So the reviews for Maya Chan are so good I almost feel like they are paid reviews. I mean how often does Everyone rave about a place that much?

Especially since every picture I've seen, the water looks super gross. I understand why, and dont fault them, just nut sure if it's for us.

So, if it was just the hubby and I , I'd book it in a heartbeat. We'd lay, alternating sun and shade, try tequilas, eat, read, get a massage and not worry about the brown water, as I'd never need to set foot in it.

But we are traveling with our 10 and 13 year old mermaid children who think they breathe water. We have a beach day at Cozumel and snorkeling in Roatan so we will have plenty of other water time but my question is how much there is for them to enjoy?

I've only read of a smoothie competition and that well entertain them for about 30 min maybe. They can entertain themselves for an hour or so with just sand but if the water is bad I'm not sure they'd enjoy their day.

Are there other things for them? Is it more of a "grown up" place? Our other thought to go to is Blue Kay. Service seems much less fantastic , food less amazing, but the water looks much more inviting to kids.

Opinions?

Blue Kay. Or Tropicante. I agree with the reviews of Maya Chan, but I don't recall it as being a real kids type place. Blue Kay gets you closer access to the ship and is at the northern end of the malecon and away from most of the hustle and bustle and traffic. Separate road entrance to Blue Kay just after the turn off the main highway. And if you want to wander along down to other places you can easily do so. Plus it's a shorter taxi ride.

In the middle of the malecon is Tropicante. Great service. Nice facilities, same beach. Steve Uhl is a nice guy. We stood around chit chatting last week for almost 20 minutes and I wasn't even staying at his beach. "course I've met him several times before.

Maya Chan everyone loves. The service is excellent, friendly staff and the food is great as well. However, yep the water is "yucky" IMO. Plenty of people have said the water is "clear" the day we were there...but the pictures produced are not clear AND the nice Caribbean blue water. It's still brown. That's also my problem as well. If only it was located in a different area. :( They do have some activities there such as sand golf, then there's snorkeling tours and they do have kayaks as well. But, this is pretty much what you'll find at any place in most ports (other than the blow up trampolines in the water, but none here in Costa Maya).

We absolutely loved our day at Blue Kay. I have a complete review with tons of pictures from our day there in my signature line if you have not read it yet. I also have a review from Maya Chan too, however it was several years ago so it's not as extensive.

If I had my choice, I would visit Blue Kay. So many things factor into this. Close to port and only $3 per adult and $2 per kid to get there. About 5 minutes to get there. No reservations needed. Good service. BIG beach. Snorkeling right off shore and easy in fairly shallow water. Food was good. You're located right on the malecon and can easily walk up and down it and explore. They do have kayaks and also bikes to ride around. Most of all, the beautiful water. :) Just my opinion though.

Mitsugirly - I can't thank you enough for the fantastic review of Blue Kay. You've totally convinced me, my 10 and 12 yr old will love playing in the water. I thought we would do Tropicante but that seems more adult focused and to be honest, I am not a fan of the complicated procedure to find the place. Blue Kay is next to Senor Frog's, I can handle that! Looking forward to being here in March!

Mitsugirly - I can't thank you enough for the fantastic review of Blue Kay. You've totally convinced me, my 10 and 12 yr old will love playing in the water. I thought we would do Tropicante but that seems more adult focused and to be honest, I am not a fan of the complicated procedure to find the place. Blue Kay is next to Senor Frog's, I can handle that! Looking forward to being here in March!

You are very welcome. We loved it there. They also have the volleyball net in the water at the shore for the kids. I hope you have a great time. :)

Yes, Ive read your review of Blue Kay and I think it has me sold on going there as well. Thank you.

Have a great time and you are very welcome. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have been to Maya Chan six years ago when it first opened. LOVED IT!

I am going back to Costa Maya next February.

When do you think I need to book Maya Chan? Is it too early to book?

I will want to go next February 2017.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Maya Chan 2 years ago with my kids who were 9 and 11 then. They loved it so much- they learned to kayak and one of the staff spent lots of time taking them snorkeling. And they loved the Oreo milkshakes! We are going back in April and booked the itinerary specifically because the kids want to go back to Maya Chan.