Pre cruise itinerary.

JanetAlice

We are doing a southbound out of Whittier next year. Does this pre-cruise plan make sense? Also looking for vendor recommendations for Katmai excursions.

Day 1

Arrive Anchorage-spend the night and leave by car, early the next morning

Day 2

Drive to Talkeetna and stay overnight

Day 3

Denali

Day 4

Denali

Day 5

Drive to Kenai Penninsula and NP overnight in Seward.

Day 6

Seward

Day 7

Excursions in Seward and drive back to Anchorage

Day 8

Overnight trip to Katmai from Anchorage

Day 9

Anchorage

Day 10

Train to Whittier

We are doing a southbound out of Whittier next year. Does this pre-cruise plan make sense? Also looking for vendor recommendations for Katmai excursions.

Day 1

Day 2

Drive to Talkeetna and stay overnight

Day 3

Denali

Day 4

Denali

Day 5

Drive to Kenai Penninsula and NP overnight in Seward.

Day 6

Seward

Day 7

Excursions in Seward and drive back to Anchorage

Day 8

Overnight trip to Katmai from Anchorage

Day 9

Anchorage

Day 10

Train to Whittier

Why the stop in Telkeetna, instead of just driving on to Denali NP? Telkeetna is only a 3 hour drive from Anchorage, and in spite of what some people will say there is really nothing along the way to stop and see.

Coming back it is a long drive from Denali to Seward. Maybe you should overnight in Anchorage on the way back down south, or stop at Girdwood, or Summit Lake Lodge.

I assume you are flying to Katmai to potentially see bears.

What are you planning with all the time in Denali?

While you have lots of time, you need to decide what you plan on doing in each location to determine if you are spending enough time or too much time in any given area.

I agree with PP; unless you have a few excursions planned in Talkeetna, there's no need to overnight there. It's about a 3 hr drive from Anchorage so if you leave town by by 9am, you'd be in Talkeetna by noon .... have lunch, wander around, then finish the drive to Denali. And the drive from Denali to Seward can be a long one. Good to break it up by staying in Wasilla just north of Anchorage or Girdwood just south of Anchorage .... this allows you to enjoy the sights along Turnagain Arm ( gold panning, hike to Byron Glacier, Wildlife Center, Alyeska Resort) Suggested stops in this link. http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

Instead of Katmai have you considered a Lake Clark destination for bear viewing? You could fly to Silver Salmon Lodge or Homestead for an overnight excursion then you would drive back to Anchorage.

Here's a trip report that includes a visit to Lake Clark:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2233259

Rust's Flying Service is a popular vendor out of Anchorage to various bear viewing locations.

Edited by mapleleaves

I have info on hotels, etc so I am good there thank you. I was planning on doing excursions into Denali from Talkeetna. Air on the afternoon we arrive and a river excursion in the morning before we left for Denali. Am I better off doing excursions closer to the park? Great advice and stopping along the way from Denali to Seward. I agree 7 hours is doable but would prefer to break it up. Yes we are going to Katmai for bear viewing. I will look into bear viewing at Lake Clark though it is a goal of mine to see every National Park if I can. I am up to 31.

When is your trip and are you within peak timeframes for Katami? Each area has it's own peak. I never recommend the Denali/Seward same day drive, I'd be readjusting your itinerary, you also are likely grossly underestimating transit time with your "7 hour" thinking. You need to allow for 10 with a few stops.

Your Talkeetna touring certainly is worthwhile, and fits with your priority. I fly most of my Denali flights out of Talkeetna, a lot of selection. The river float trip gets good reviews.

If you have a National Park Priority, I'd put Gates of the Arctic on the list. some of most scenic flying has been in that direction with Anaktuvuk Pass one of my favorites. :)

When is your trip and are you within peak timeframes for Katami? Each area has it's own peak. I never recommend the Denali/Seward same day drive, I'd be readjusting your itinerary, you also are likely grossly underestimating transit time with your "7 hour" thinking. You need to allow for 10 with a few stops.

Your Talkeetna touring certainly is worthwhile, and fits with your priority. I fly most of my Denali flights out of Talkeetna, a lot of selection. The river float trip gets good reviews.

If you have a National Park Priority, I'd put Gates of the Arctic on the list. some of most scenic flying has been in that direction with Anaktuvuk Pass one of my favorites. :)

I was hoping you would see my post Budget Queen. I live down the thruway in Albany. I left Katmai till the end of the land portion because I believe that would be better timing for the bears. The date would be July 13th. Do you think Lake Clark would be better on that date? Yes I love our National Park but I am not sure how to fit Gates of the Arctic in. Any suggestions?

I was hoping you would see my post Budget Queen. I live down the thruway in Albany. I left Katmai till the end of the land portion because I believe that would be better timing for the bears. The date would be July 13th. Do you think Lake Clark would be better on that date? Yes I love our National Park but I am not sure how to fit Gates of the Arctic in. Any suggestions?

I'm flying over you in a couple hours to Boston. On the NCL Dawn tomorrow.

You are early in salmon run possibility. My trip a couple years ago, to Chinitna Bay, had a late run, with no salmon when I was there the same time. The next year- still a little later, but I was there several weeks later. This area, was unique since the bear sightings aren't impacted with no salmon. The diet is razor clams, so low tide is a jackpot. Silver Salmon lodge is actually my contact for finding who I went with since they couldn't accommodate me for 2 nights. Second trip I went for 3, which is probably my minimum for this type of tour.

I'd go with any recommendation from Silver Salmon lodge. Ask if they have the razor clam eaters too, perhaps? (it's around the "corner")

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Alaska experts. I have revised my itinerary based on recommendations I have received and additional posts I have read. What is your feedback?

Day 1

Day 2

Matanuska Glacier overnight there. Glacier Hike

Day 3

Drive to Denali. Stay at Lodge

Day 4

Bus trip into Denali. Another night at Lodge

Day 5

Drive to Talkeetna. Afternoon flight over Denali. Stay in Talkeetna

Day 6

Talkeetna to Alyeska Stay overnight at resort.

Day 7

Alyeska to Kenai – Exit Glacier in the afternoon. Stay in Seward

Day 8

Cruise into Kenai NP if weather is good. Drive back to Anchorage. Overnight there

Day 9

Day flight to Katmai. Overnight in Anchorage

Day 10

Train to Whittier to board ship. 26 Glacier cruise if weather is good.