Juneau - Sept 7, 2016 - what to see?

naoshmu

Hello. My husband and I are on the Princess Inside Passage cruise leaving in September 4, 2016. We arrive in Juneau at 12:30pm and are in port until 10:15pm. We are planning on going to Mendelhall Glacier using the bus near the cruise terminal. What else can we do there to fill up our time?

We always rent a car (Alaska Car Rental, although some of the national car chains are there, too). We don't mind driving, and like the flexibility it offers. We always go to Mendenhall Glacier, and have also done the salmon hatchery, Alaskan Brewery, smallest Costco in the world (down the street from the brewery), Shrine of St Therese, end of the road, to name a few. After the car has been returned, and if there is no fog at the top, we do the tram and wander around the trails up there.

If the weather is ok, we will take the tram. Afterwards we will probably go to Mendenhall.

Thought about a whale watch cruise, but I am travelling with an 8.5 year old & I'm not sure if he would be thrilled with just seeing dorsal fins... (I just seeing 1 whale on a 4 hour trip.)

We have more exciting (& expensive) plans in several of the other ports on our 14-night cruise, so I don't feel the need to do something big in every port.)

Hello. My husband and I are on the Princess Inside Passage cruise leaving in September 4, 2016. We arrive in Juneau at 12:30pm and are in port until 10:15pm. We are planning on going to Mendelhall Glacier using the bus near the cruise terminal. What else can we do there to fill up our time?

Walk around the town near the port, making sure to go up the hills. I love looking at the older houses. Wander past the governors house and the Wickersham house. The state museum is recently renovated and apparently very good (I was last there in 1998, so things have changed, I'm sure!). .

Public transit looks easy and cheap. You can use it to get to within 1/2 mile of the Mendenhall visitor centre.