FAO Kruzseeka - port of call advice

Hi there, I think you might have made a rod for your own back in respect of previous help rendered.

We are on A Taste For Adventure at the end of October and there are a few POCs that are unfamiliar to us.

Kefalonia : if hadn't been for Captain Correlli I would likely have never heard of this island until we booked. 'Er indoors will want to seek out Nicholas Cage and John Hurt etc., however apart from that what would you recommend ?

Messina : One short day in port is not going to do much except whet the appetite. Suggestions please.

Naples : I'm not quite prepared to fall off the perch just yet so this is another unknown. Her Ladyship has a hankering to visit Heraculum, however we've been to Pompeii so I'm not convinced - can it be done DIY ? The HoHo bus is another option.

Civitavecchia : We've done Rome on a 4 day break so that is not on our immediate bucket list. Is there anything else from that port worth considering ?

The rest of the stops are places we've been before, at least once.

Thanks in advance and in anticipation. :)

Edited by WeeCountyMan
Grammar

Hi there, I think you might have made a rod for your own back in respect of previous help rendered.

We are on A Taste For Adventure at the end of October and there are a few POCs that are unfamiliar to us.

Kefalonia : if hadn't been for Captain Correlli I would likely have never heard of this island until we booked. 'Er indoors will want to seek out Nicholas Cage and John Hurt etc., however apart from that what would you recommend ?

Messina : One short day in port is not going to do much except whet the appetite. Suggestions please.

Naples : I'm not quite prepared to fall off the perch just yet so this is another unknown. Her Ladyship has a hankering to visit Heraculum, however we've been to Pompeii so I'm not convinced - can it be done DIY ? The HoHo bus is another option.

Civitavecchia : We've done Rome on a 4 day break so that is not on our immediate bucket list. Is there anything else from that port worth considering ?

The rest of the stops are places we've been before, at least once.

Thanks in advance and in anticipation. :)

Well you've certainly made me tease out some long forgotten memories!!!!

I've fished out the Destinations Guide from when we went to Kephalonia (I assume it's Argostoli you're docking) to remind myself where we went. We did the half day excursion called 'Natural Wonders' which included a visit to Assos and Fiskardo which we enjoyed very much - it also mentions Myrtos Beach in the tour description which featured in Capt Corelli's Mandolin so perhaps Mrs WCm may be placated with that even if she can't find Nicholas Cage!!!! I've had a look at my photos and it looked a scenic drive with lots of lovely views and I do remember having a coffee by the water in Assos then wandering around Fiskardo which appeared to be a fairly up-market Marina which was a very pleasant stop.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fiskardo+kefalonia&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CDwQsARqFQoTCLSevbOxlMcCFUkNLAodLmoHzw&biw=1280&bih=619

As I remember, Argostoli was very badly damaged during WWII and as we went out on the excursion, we thought we'd done the best thing going on a trip as the town didn't seem to have a lot to offer. Perhaps an indication could be that I took no photos of Argostoli (just asked DH who takes 100's and he has next to none either!) - I've just looked at port times which were 13.00 - 20.00 so clearly after we got back we weren't sufficiently moved to get off again and spend more time on shore. Now I may be giving you the wrong impression and perhaps someone can tell you more about Argostoli itself and say it's worth spending time there. But I definitely remember feeling pleased we'd chosen to take an excursion. Not saying the one we did would be the best one either - but we did enjoy it.

These don't home in on anything very special do they?

https://www.google.com/search?q=argostoli+pictures&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Not been to Messina so can't give you any advice really - but if we ever get there I'd like to go to Taormina which looks lovely - no doubt very touristy but it's on my list of places I'd like to visit. Might they offer a half day trip here? Or Messina itself might be ok for a wander?

https://www.google.com/search?q=taormina&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CD0QsARqFQoTCKTDn9yzlMcCFYFkLAodbMQJmA&biw=1280&bih=619

Hmmm........... Naples. Well we've been to both Pompeii and Herculaneum and I must say we enjoyed both but Herculaneum is my preference of the two. As I'm sure you know it's more compact, better preserved and you can really 'feel' what the town was like - down to the take-away food outlets!!!! I could imagine people living there, bustling around the streets whereas Pompeii felt more like ruins and less personal if that makes sense - spectacular as they are though. We had planned to do it ourselves by train but I was suffering with my back at the time so took the easier option and went on the Thomson half day trip.

You need the Circumvesuviana railway - this site gives some good info on where to find it. We were confused once at the main station as it looks like a bus station but the train station is at the back. Then you go down an escalator to the Circumvesuvania line. (Buy your ticket first on the top level and don't forget to validate - sorry Grandmother and eggs bit!) You need Herculo Scavi for the ruins. From my planning you have a bit of a walk to the site as I remember - but not far although that was the decider for us to go with Thomson - door to door so to speak. The trains seemed to run fairly frequently.

http://www.napoliunplugged.com/naples-circumvesuviana-railway

We did Pompeii using this train service - dead easy and further along than Herculaneum which is much closer to Naples so I don't forsee any problems in a DiY approach here. We had an early start and spent the rest of the day wandering around Naples! Now that was quite memorable too!

Civitavecchia - we've only ever gone into Rome from here except when we were flying home from there and not leaving the ship until mid-afternoon. So we just walked along the waterfront. It's quite attractive and has a beach and facilities around. We found a cafe and passed the time but I don't know if you would find it fulfilling for a whole day. There may of course be some tourist attractions here which we didn't discover as we were only on a 'time fill' agenda. Sorry can't help with alternative places to go from here.

Not sure how helpful all that is - but good luck with the planning - and enjoy! :)

The excursion Kruzseeka recommends is a good one. Fiscardo was about the only town that was not damaged by the 1953 earthquake and the houses (now hotels and shops) around the harbour are very picturesque. Assos is very crowded and coaches quite often stop near the top and you have to walk down. There is a lovely beach at the bottom surrounded by restaurants and a very long steep walk up the other side to a ruined castle (but you won't have time to do that on a tour). You will probably just get a view of Myrtos beach from the road .....I cannot see a coach going down there. The road to Fiskardo is very scenic and a lot safer than it was when we first went there about 15 years ago.

Captain Corelli was mainly filmed at the east side of Kefallonia at Sami and I would be surprised if there was not a trip to the Melissani Lake and Drogarati Cave which are near Sami. However, there is nothing to see now of the film making. Perhaps this link will be interesting regarding Cpt Correlli. We were on the island when they were filming but didn't catch site of Nicholas Cage. :(

http://www.kefaloniatravel.com/kefalonia_cephalonia_captain_corellis_mandolin.html

I used to love Argostoli (before the cruise ships went there!!). We holidayed there for many years when it used to be a small Greek port with lovely restaurants and not much else.

If you stay in Argostoli there is a lovely walk along the water side and near where the small fishing boats are we could always spot huge turtles in the water. The nearest beaches are at Lassi a short taxi ride away. There is a small folklore museum and a clock tower which you could climb inside for views of the town. We always stopped there at the cafe which was run by young volunteers with special needs.

You would need a taxi to get to the Italian Memorial site which is up a steep hill on the coastal route to Lassi. It was well worth the long walk up there in the heat for us but we had plenty of time to do that.

http://en.tracesofwar.com/article/12433/Memorial-Acqui-Division-Kefalonia.htm

I'm afraid friends stopped at Argostoli a couple of years ago and were not very impressed so perhaps an excursion is a good idea because Kefallonia is a beautiful island, especially up the west coast to Fiscardo.

Can I jump in here....we liked Argostoli and walked both ways along the sea front seeing the turtles swimming quite close...I'd never seen them in the wild before.....we also found a small museum explaining the history of the island and how it was devastated by the earthquake.

Messina...if you have long enough go to Taormina....but taxi would be pricey....we did ships trip.....if you don't fancy that there is a HOHO bus but not terribly interesting....you could make your way to the cathedral for noon to watch the world famous 'goings on' at the bell tower.....it only happens at noon and is worth doing!

Civitavecchia....quite a nice newish prom to walk along but there weren't many places to sit when we were last there. Some nice shops and a market which has been on whichever day we've been there.......the first stop on the train ride to Rome looked a nice beach...can't remember the name....something like San marina....I'll see if I can find out.

:):)

I

It's called Santa Marinella and looked quite nice....also heard someone saying that they had been and liked it!!

Edited by jenny wren

Thanks to both of you, that's been really helpful.

If I can repay the favour please don't hesitate to ask.

It's my pleasure, WCM. Glad to help as I have received lots of extremely useful advice on here myself. :)

I would recommend Herculaneum. We did a ship's trip, but unfortunately the guide did not have very good English and we were straining to hear what she said. It is very near to Naples, about 8 miles. If we had realized how close it was we would have got a taxi and paid to go in and got the headphones. At least we would have been able to understand the commentary :rolleyes:

We have been to Civitavecchia 3 times and never got to Rome yet :o:o Actually it is a nice place. Beware though that the shuttle bus now takes you into the town, whereas it used to drop you at the fort and you could turn right and walk along the seafront, where there are bars and free wifi. We were completely lost as to where we were and had to walk back through a load of shops (ah that is why we were dropped there!! :D ) We walked back to the ship from the fort, but it was much further than we thought and it was VERY hot that day! I wouldn't recommend doing that ;)

There is a nice market there too.

Sorry can't help with the other two places.

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

• 4 weeks later...

It's courtesy (and good practice) to report back with an outline of what we've chosen.

Had a planning meeting with our travelling companions (relatives) over several glasses of wine/beer with a nice meal and decided on three Thomsons tours - Keflonia (Keflonia Highlights), Messina (Panoramic Messina) and Naples (Heraculaneum).

The rest will be DIY.

Thanks again y'all.

There is Tarquinia near Civitavecchia - if you google it then you can see if it appeals to you - it is a world heritage site.

Whatever you choose - hope you enjoy it !!

Hiya HT! :)

Pictures of Tarquinia look great and from reviews this sounds like a really good option as an alternative to a day in Rome. It doesn't seem to be too difficult to get to via train and/or bus either. I've never heard of it before but will keep it in mind for another time. Thanks.

How are you and Mrs HT? Well I hope. Off on the TA soon? Bumped into Gerry the chocolate course man recently and I think he said he's doing TAs in both directions again this season - one on Celebration (? not sure of the other). Good memories. Have a wonderful time if you're going - and I can recommend the truffle making! ;)

(Sorry for being off thread - just nice to say hello!)

Hi Kruz - hope J is well too - we are both fine. Yes will be on the TA again this year - think we will do the Dream via Cape Verde but we know alot and I mean alot of people on the Oceans Eleven so we are torn.

I did write to Thomsons earlier this year and suggest they add this ( Tarquinia) as an option for their onboard destination services so perhaps they may include it next year - time will tell. I actually think one or two cruise lines do now offer it already.

We have not booked anything yet for this winter for a genuine reason but will be doing so very soon. Hope to see you on one of the cruises again sometime !!!

Hiya HT! :)

Pictures of Tarquinia look great and from reviews this sounds like a really good option as an alternative to a day in Rome. It doesn't seem to be too difficult to get to via train and/or bus either. I've never heard of it before but will keep it in mind for another time. Thanks.

How are you and Mrs HT? Well I hope. Off on the TA soon? Bumped into Gerry the chocolate course man recently and I think he said he's doing TAs in both directions again this season - one on Celebration (? not sure of the other). Good memories. Have a wonderful time if you're going - and I can recommend the truffle making! ;)

(Sorry for being off thread - just nice to say hello!)

Still off topic :o, but it has been answered now.

Has anyone tried any of the chocolate skills?

I made chocolates with hazelnut praline. Totally cheated as I don't like messing for too long. They were very nice but took a long time and I made so much mess I decided it was easier to buy them!:)

I really enjoyed the course though and it filled in some of the time on sea days.