Cartanega safety (travelling to the old town)

Velvetwater

Hi

Just read an extended travel blog on my kindle that described the area between Cartagena port and the old town is very very dangerous and when you are in a taxi you have to keep your head down, lock the doors and put the screens down etc.

This did seem rather 'extreme' but made me worry a little as we are not a big fans of tours and want to do this port on our own. We were planning on taking a taxi (2 of us...young couple) to the old town and a taxi back.

Is this doable/safe?

Hi

Just read an extended travel blog on my kindle that described the area between Cartagena port and the old town is very very dangerous and when you are in a taxi you have to keep your head down, lock the doors and put the screens down etc.

This did seem rather 'extreme' but made me worry a little as we are not a big fans of tours and want to do this port on our own. We were planning on taking a taxi (2 of us...young couple) to the old town and a taxi back.

Is this doable/safe?

Somebody is trying to scare you. We have been to Cartagena several times and have not seen anything that would make us react as you have described.

Take a taxi and enjoy old town.

As you get off the ship, there is a kiosk on the pier that passes out information and they have a great map of old town they will give you. You may have to ask for it.

• 1 month later...
Hi

Is this doable/safe?

That's how rumors get started....

You'll be fine. The only question you will have is "why did I go to Old Towne"?